247Sports' Preseason Top 25 for 2020

Franklin Pierce

This isn’t an updated version of something 247Sports put out in the winter. This is a start-from-ground-zero ranking that takes into account an offseason worth of coaching changes, recruiting wins and transfers. 247Sports polled eight of its national experts and had them rank their preseason Top 25. What you’ll find below is an aggregate of our vote.

247Sports' preseason Top 25 for 2020

Reactions: Sara Clark
I get so sick about hearing of how great Florida and Georgia is 🤮! When the former coaches players leave let see what they are like. GBO

UF and LSU will both slide from these current spots I think. But hey that is why we play the games!

Because reasons. And hype. And gonnawinitallthisyear. And needy, whiny fans. And hype. And "dawgs"

Trash program. They will choke and whine about it. It's what they do.
We are so much better than everyone on our schedule at this point. My bold prediction is no team holds us below 24pts and no team scores more than 17 on us.

Reactions: tennvols77
Grad transfer from a P5 school that was pretty good last year.
Big whoop! They also replace their OC, entire OL line, backfield and all but 1 WR. Their defense is why they are rated so high, I think their offense is going to be very mediocre. That new QB is certainly no game changer and he had better be able to run behind a brand new line.

Georgia and Florida's floor is 9 - 3, and their ceiling is 11 - 1 IMO.

Georgia's defense will be nasty. They are not going to give up many points at all. Their Achilles heal will be the offense. I expect it to sputter a lot, but their defense will win a lot of games for them. If the offense is better than I expect then I think they could achieve 11 - 1, however, in todays game you must have an offense that is really good as well in order to win a championship. There offense will likely not be that good.

Florida is a well balanced team, and that is coming from myself, a certified Gator hater. They have enough talent to win all the games they should and should be adequate on both sides of the ball. An injury to Trask could derail it all for them though. I don't have any confidence that their backups can get the job done. They have a relatively easy schedule too.

Florida goes 8-4 this year due to a weak offense (no experienced RB or WRs) and weak interior DL.
L’s to LSU, UGA, UK, and the good guys.
Mullen seat heats up quick as the poor recruiting becomes remarkably clear.

Reactions: tennvols77
Florida goes 8-4 this year due to a weak offense (no experienced RB or WRs) and weak interior DL.
L’s to LSU, UGA, UK, and the good guys.
Mullen seat heats up quick as the poor recruiting becomes remarkably clear.
Doubtful, but it would be great if you are correct.

Reactions: bpalmer28
We are so much better than everyone on our schedule at this point. My bold prediction is no team holds us below 24pts and no team scores more than 17 on us.
That is bold considering they only averaged 14 points a game last year..

Minor difference: Tee Martin was a highly-rated recruit coming out of high school; Newman was not.
Martin also had 16 total pass attempts before he took over in the 1998 season. Newman had a pretty good full season as a starter last year. Newman wasn't highly recruited, but we do know he can play. Tee was a total unknown when he took over.

Reactions: k-town_king
Minor difference: Tee Martin was a highly-rated recruit coming out of high school; Newman was not.

The basic idea/point was that in 1998 Tennessee was ranked where they were because they had a proven track record of success that a prognosticator could make assumptions about them as a team no matter what they lost/returned.

You can do the same thing with Georgia right now. They are winning a minimum 11 per year right now, what they lose/return be damned

VN Store

Back