247 power rankings

I kinda like starting out just outside the top 25.....hopefully gives the guys some motivation and a chip to start the year, but dang I dont understand a Navy, App St, or Cincinnati teams ranking above us......looks like after about #26 they just pulled team names out a hat.

I kinda like starting out just outside the top 25.....hopefully gives the guys some motivation and a chip to start the year, but dang I dont understand a Navy, App St, or Cincinnati teams ranking above us......looks like after about #26 they just pulled team names out a hat.

Tenn. will be playing 4 teams that will start the season as top 10, so one might think that schedule and conference impacts that prediction.

Reactions: Bennessee01
I know I'm about to trigger the cult... but if UT didn't have questions at QB they'd inspire a lot more confidence with these prognosticators. Pre-season polls and "All Whatever" lists don't mean much. There is even less accountability for the media on these lists than other things.

However, if UT was returning a 3 year starter who had been solid as a rock and had thrown for over 3,000 yds last year... the Vols would be a solid top 20 team to start the season.

I know I'm about to trigger the cult... but if UT didn't have questions at QB they'd inspire a lot more confidence with these prognosticators. Pre-season polls and "All Whatever" lists don't mean much. There is even less accountability for the media on these lists than other things.

However, if UT was returning a 3 year starter who had been solid as a rock and had thrown for over 3,000 yds last year... the Vols would be a solid top 20 team to start the season.

No doubt, the QB position is the main reason for the questions many of us have for the coming season. JG will definitely be the starter and he has not proven to be capable of a consistent high level of performance.

Tenn. will be playing 4 teams that will start the season as top 10, so one might think that schedule and conference impacts that prediction.

we're beating at least one of those top ten teams, mark it down. our schedule before each of them is nice. I even think there will be a shot at the SEC east still in play when we play Georgia late in the season.

Well, get ready for JG in 2021 ad football will not be played this fall, and he has to have his one more year.

Reactions: 08Vol

Or it could be that just 2 seasons ago Tn put arguably it's worst roster in it's history on the field and that it's just now starting to see how a young coach and his staff is progressing up the ladder in the SEC. Your blaming EVERYTHING on the QB being JG is pure garbage. If the Vols win big this year with JG they'll get big time preseason love next year even though we'd be breaking in a new QB. You just posted this crap to try and stir something up. You don't even believe in preseason polls yet you still throw hate at our QB because you think we'd be higher in a poll you don't even believe in if JG were not in the picture, lol whatever. Weak weak weak!! I guess you think we'd be ranked higher this early if our 3 year starting QB were not here, I think the poll is more of a reflection as to how much UTs overall roster has improved and I think like every team that starts winning as the overall roster improves so will the preseason rankings. Our QB room is one of the best in the conference I feel, you obviously see it differently.

Or it could be that just 2 seasons ago Tn put arguably it's worst roster in it's history on the field and that it's just now starting to see how a young coach and his staff is progressing up the ladder in the SEC. Your blaming EVERYTHING on the QB being JG is pure garbage. If the Vols win big this year with JG they'll get big time preseason love next year even though we'd be breaking in a new QB. You just posted this crap to try and stir something up. You don't even believe in preseason polls yet you still throw hate at our QB because you think we'd be higher in a poll you don't even believe in if JG were not in the picture, lol whatever. Weak weak weak!! I guess you think we'd be ranked higher this early if our 3 year starting QB were not here, I think the poll is more of a reflection as to how much UTs overall roster has improved and I think like every team that starts winning as the overall roster improves so will the preseason rankings. Our QB room is one of the best in the conference I feel, you obviously see it differently.
Cult member... triggered.

JG has not been consistent and has not been great even in his best games. If UT were returning this exact team with a QB who had been a consistent starter all last year with over 3000 yds... they'd be ranked in the top 20. I know you'd rather not see the truth but that's too bad. One of the things these preseason lists do is put skewed emphasis on particular positions... and one of those is QB. I know it is a hard pill for you to swallow... but he's one of the guys they're looking at when they doubt the Vols.

If you had that better QB starter coming back... then an OL made up of four 5* plus a DL that lost no one plus a deep, experienced, and talented secondary... would equal a top 25 ranking.

Reactions: cgrish and onevol74
That's difficult for me to see honestly. This is not a "poll", but a "power rating", correct. In other words, throw everything else out, and order teams by how good they actually are.
If so, I'd put UT more around 20-25. Our typically ridiculous schedule could balance that and leave us ranked around #32 after it's all said and done. Or #10 for that matter.
But as far a "power" rankings go, it's hard for me to see 31 teams across the nation who have landed and developed players with better talent than we have signed.

Well, get ready for JG in 2021 ad football will not be played this fall, and he has to have his one more year.
I know that the sane are not in charge of this circus... but there are ZERO good reasons not to have football this year.

As if I could trust the "experts" less... they've now started conflating Covid, influenza, and pneumonia to make sure the death number stays "scary". I cannot find the handy graph that shows deaths by week but the last one I saw showed deaths coming down even as cases went up.

This past week less than 6% of all American deaths were due to Covid, influenza, and pneumonia COMBINED. And we are cancelling ANYTHING for that?

Reactions: Smellvin
If we get even decent qb play we could lose 2 games max. Dawgs are totally new up front ant and new qb. Florida underachieves yearly and our loving elephants lost a lot but bring a lot back also. Oaklahoma game might not happen but these teams don’t scare me. GBO

So you think there is better QB and supporting cast at Lville,cincy,appy state etc? and seems we had a game with iowa not so long ago

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

For the last three years, Knoxville has been a drinking town with a QB problem. But, that will change soon, hopefully this Fall.

Reactions: sjt18
I don't think #32 is unfair. I mean we DID lose to Georgia State and BYU last year. Yes, I know. We improved throughout the season. But it's not an insult that a 7-5 team with QB issues is seen as the #32 team in a pre-season ranking. We haven't won 9 games in a regular season since 2007. Most prognosticators probably aren't confident in placing us much higher until we prove otherwise.

Reactions: 08Vol

The entire point of power rankings is to rank teams in order of "power", without regard to other measurements, like W/L or projected W/L.

Reactions: 08Vol and sjt18
So you think there is better QB and supporting cast at Lville,cincy,appy state etc? and seems we had a game with iowa not so long ago
No. I think the polls are inherently flawed in that they do not and cannot account for the vastly different levels of competition. Preseason polls are worse outside of a few obvious teams at the top.

That wasn't my point though. My point wasn't even that JG is doomed to fail. I think he has fatal flaws that create a ceiling that ultimately keeps him from being the QB UT needs to win. I think those flaws have limited his growth and cost the Vols wins since he became the starter.... but I would LOVE to be wrong. UT needs a very good QB to be successful. I do not care who it is. He deserves it as much as anyone.... BUT my point is that these preseason predictions rely heavily on perceptions of coaches and certain positions.... the focal point always starts with the QB and HC.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
No. I think the polls are inherently flawed in that they do not and cannot account for the vastly different levels of competition. Preseason polls are worse outside of a few obvious teams at the top.

That wasn't my point though. My point wasn't even that JG is doomed to fail. I think he has fatal flaws that create a ceiling that ultimately keeps him from being the QB UT needs to win. I think those flaws have limited his growth and cost the Vols wins since he became the starter.... but I would LOVE to be wrong. UT needs a very good QB to be successful. I do not care who it is. He deserves it as much as anyone.... BUT my point is that these preseason predictions rely heavily on perceptions of coaches and certain positions.... the focal point always starts with the QB and HC.
I'm curious as to what games through the last 3 years have we lost because of JGs play at QB, enlightened us on exactly how many games ol JG has cost us.

VN Store

Back