247 Down/Up Grades

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
Not sure haven't read the entire article but it appears that we had several downgrade committed players on 247 today. The good news is that we moved from 17th to 16th in the rankings. My question is why does a recruiting service do this? It is quite obvious as they have proven that they cannot realistic evaluate ever player in the nation and the rankings are just buzz. Crouch dropped 50 to 80 spots and I understand that he did not play very much his senior season. We had a few move up but the majority moved down.

Any reasonable explanation? I am beginning to believe that the rating services are worthless.

They do it for the same reason Mel Kiper releases 30 mock drafts between the Super Bowl and the NFL Draft-- for clicks, aka internet revenue.

And it works, because us recruiting junkies are clicking away, talking about it, giving them the attention they probably don't deserve.

I mean, FFS.... kids signing now have 2-3+ years of film, but recruiting service X is going to raise or lower a kid based on a fluff all star game? GTFOH

It is what it is, because here we are like suckers.

I read most of the article flashed up on cell phone. Your right and these services would not exist if not for advertising....Trust the coaches

Reactions: SweetasSoda
They do it for the same reason Mel Kiper releases 30 mock drafts between the Super Bowl and the NFL Draft-- for clicks, aka internet revenue.

And it works, because us recruiting junkies are clicking away, talking about it, giving them the attention they probably don't deserve.

I mean, FFS.... kids signing now have 2-3+ years of film, but recruiting service X is going to raise or lower a kid based on a fluff all star game? GTFOH

Someone gets it!

Just like all the: Maureen McCormick (Marsha Brady) and Cote De Pablo (NCIS)….you wont believe what they look like now click baits. Or the Terry Bradshaw (or whoever) and his partner live in this mansion crap-ola.

So all-star games shouldn't affect rankings dramatically? A couple years of tape (which let's be honest.. they probably only watch highlights from anyway) where 90% of it is a superior athlete beating up on opponents who aren't as gifted is nothing compared to a week of practice and a game where players are put up against equally talented players.

The "recruiting services" are nothing but click bait. Don't pay any attention to them. And sure don't subscribe.

The "recruiting services" are nothing but click bait. Don't pay any attention to them. And sure don't subscribe.
This guy complains about click baiting and not subscribing but he doesn’t realize that’s how the recruiting services makes its money and employs people. So if you do find value in them, then absolutely click and subscribe. But don’t automatically assume that they’re bad just because they’re a business.

This guy complains about click baiting and not subscribing but he doesn’t realize that’s how the recruiting services makes its money and employs people. So if you do find value in them, then absolutely click and subscribe. But don’t automatically assume that they’re bad just because they’re a business.
All businesses are evil... common knowledge

Not sure haven't read the entire article but it appears that we had several downgrade committed players on 247 today. The good news is that we moved from 17th to 16th in the rankings. My question is why does a recruiting service do this? It is quite obvious as they have proven that they cannot realistic evaluate ever player in the nation and the rankings are just buzz. Crouch dropped 50 to 80 spots and I understand that he did not play very much his senior season. We had a few move up but the majority moved down.

Any reasonable explanation? I am beginning to believe that the rating services are worthless.
I think back to the report about Butch lobbying for star ratings for his recruits, seems like they play to whoever pays.

Why do stars matter and why do fans worry about rankings? Why do reevaluations? I don't think the services are capable of what they are claiming but yet fans treat their information like it was golden.

When we sign a 3* or 2* our fans go nuts based on a Service evaluation vs Our current Staffs' evaluation. I take our staff's opinion over the opinion of the business evaluation of 10,000 plus HS Players. After all it is the Coachs' livelihood and sometimes they hit or miss.

IMO it is about Scholarship offers and buzz who is offering and when. After ESD, more kids got more offers thus causing a rise in rankings and the ones already signed values declined....

IMO the recruiting services are and have always been worthless. I have never cared about their ratings at all. I generally look at the offer list along with visits. I f coaches from the big guns are visiting that speaks volumes to me. How many times have you seen a high 4 star with only 8 or so offers and only one to a top school? How can they keep changing the rankings when no ball has been played?Who cares what they did at a camp or in shorts at a 7 on 7? I'd venture to say most coaches worth a crap are interested in what the player can do in a game when the heat is on. Speed matters at certain positions but that's it. These ratings are all about who gave money to go to their camps or who granted them interviews and such. If these guys could really rate the players they would be making MUCH better money doing it for college and pro teams not for us idiots.

I was running the numbers last night to distract from the stress of the bball game. I don't have the numbers in front of me so going off of memory. I totalled the movement by Bama, Georgia, and UT. might have done more if I had the time.

Bama's net movement was +4
Georgias net movement was around -17
UT's net movement was around -40

Crouch and Morris took big hits, Harrison was a big gain.

I didn’t look and have done no research, but at this point in the cycle don’t most of the “move ups” occur with the unsigned/uncommitted kids?

I didn’t look and have done no research, but at this point in the cycle don’t most of the “move ups” occur with the unsigned/uncommitted kids?
That would be interesting to know. Would make some sense. Monetarily.

That would be interesting to know. Would make some sense. Monetarily.

In the past I’ve heard that’s what they do. Keeps interest all through NSD as to where these “bumped” players are headed. I’ve never researched it though.

Reactions: Sleegro
Yea I think VOL Fans need to hold their horses on the excitement on Morris and Crouch .. Morris not as physical as some seem to think ... so he needs strength .. ( dont forge the hype on Richmond) ..also Crouch played in a weak league .. was a man among boys ... has injury issues so kinda question that and will be moving to LB to learn how to play there .... just give these kids time to develop ... neither are gonna be contributors until 2020 ... is my guess ...

So Crouch and Morris aren’t as good as initially thought, top recruit and top 10 recruit respectively.

They since have dropped and the only reason we got them was because other teams slowed on them and they weren’t a top priority. Got it.

VN Store

Back