247 Audio: Sky is the Limit for Joshua Dobbs

Every time somebody mentions Dobbs shouldve started at the beginning of the season, somebody mentions the Vandy game lol (which we won). I guess UT starting qbs are the only ones that have bad games. Its almost like a lot of people on this board just don't wanna admit that Jones made the wrong decision. Its ok folks, Jones isn't perfect and to say that Dobbs all of a sudden mid season turned into our best QB is bs.

Peyton (not comparing Dobbs) was always abysmal against some terrible Vandy teams. Something like a 48% completion rate with 1 TD and 4 Ints his last three years.

Reactions: 2 people
Peyton (not comparing Dobbs) was always abysmal against some terrible Vandy teams. Something like a 48% completion rate with 1 TD and 4 Ints his last three years.

That's exactly why I don't understand people throwing up a bad game by Dobbs when someone questions why he didn't start at the beginning of the season. He's broken records and obviously changes the offense for the better. That's why it seems to me that many posters think CBJ is perfect and can't do wrong. Its ok to question coaching decisions, it doesn't mean you're asking for him to be "farhd".

Well I watched the spring game and Dobbs was pretty solid. As to what transpired at fall practice, who knows. But I think butch made the decision based on the future and ignored what was best today. The problem with that strategy is that Dobbs still has two more years even after playing this season...and when you're trying to change a culture, you don't just straight out throw a season.
I think butch went with the whole Dobbs is bad at practice because it was obvious to every person in the universe that he should have been our qb from day one. And if he had we'd probably be a top 25 team and had beaten some of our rivals.

Did u watch the season before....dobbs struggled very badly.....u don't play him until u feel he is ready or u risk losing him for good.

Yup...and some find something CBJ did that they don't agree with and start endless threads and endless posts....preaching the same thing over and over and over until the internet collapses! But Hey, I'm sure Freak could fix it!

Ok, you have all ready been asked once to prove this! Is this just another case of you making things up? Post a link or video or it never happened! And if you do then I will take my beatings! :)

Actually I don't think he is! He is a great energy pumper! He has re-energized the team and fan base!

I don't think anyone knows for sure whether or not we win with Dobbs at QB for the florida game. No one has that ability! I'm also pretty sure CBJ does not care one bit what you believe! His job is to win games and put buts in the seats!

You will never know as much about running this team as CBJ does. You will never be on the same page, the same book, or even the same shelf! Neither will I. He's not perfect but he isn't psychic either!

And you will argue with me but i bet you will still go to games/watch the game/spend money on the brand to support the team even if you disagree with him. Unless of course the tide is playing...then of course you have your true loyalties! :)

I just went back and checked my post history so i disagree with you :) ! But I think you have fun with constantly coming up with something negative you can say...and it is just fun to argue with you! It's a symbiotic relationship :) !

Lol pots. Debating with you is pointless. If you're not an attorney you missed your calling.
I don't have a link I can post regarding the players but I absolutely remember players commenting that they weren't suprised at Dobbs success because they see him do amazing things all the time in practice. Barnett was one of the ones that commented on it.

And I didn't go out of my way to be critical of butch in this thread. The thread just ended up getting hijacked regarding whether Dobbs should have been the starter all along. I commented that I thought he should have and that butch made. Some poor decisions last season and Dobbs was one of them. Somebody said what others were there and I mentioned the same ones that I believe costs us last year.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but that he is a tremendous athlete...system fit or not.

Simply put...if butch names him qb from day one, imo we play in Atlanta. That's what one dumb decision can mean.

Let's not take for granted he'll be named starter heading into next season
But we aren't alowed to use deductive reasoning here. You're a Nega-Vol if you do that! After all, Butch is being paid millions to make the calls. Who are we peons to use reason to voice an informed opinion, right?

Seriously, though. I bet if you asked Butch off the record, he'd tell you that he could kick himself for not making the change before the season started. How many times have we had a good hunch about something, and for whatever reason we go against it....only to later realize you should have gone with your "gut" instinct.

I suspect it was his inclination to favor EXPERIENCE over FIT. Who knows....maybe Butch learned a valuable lesson from this. That experience is overrated many times. I think he may very well have decided that he doesn't want to be put in that position again, having to choose between a pocket passer and a Dual-threat QB who can run his entire offense....hence Sheriron Jones being recruited late in the process.

No, we wouldn't have gone to Atlanta. Vol fans can be so delusional.
Yes, we would have. Why? Because, we were a lot healthier early in the season, when we played Oklahoma, UGA, UF, and Ole Miss. With Dobbs starting the season off, he grows and develops. We probably only lose to Bama and maybe Mizzou, and thus are in the driver seat in the East.

But we aren't alowed to use deductive reasoning here. You're a Nega-Vol if you do that! After all, Butch is being paid millions to make the calls. Who are we peons to use reason to voice an informed opinion, right?

Seriously, though. I bet if you asked Butch off the record, he'd tell you that he could kick himself for not making the change before the season started. How many times have we had a good hunch about something, and for whatever reason we go against it....only to later realize you should have gone with your "gut" instinct.

I suspect it was his inclination to favor EXPERIENCE over FIT. Who knows....maybe Butch learned a valuable lesson from this. That experience is overrated many times. I think he may very well have decided that he doesn't want to be put in that position again, having to choose between a pocket passer and a Dual-threat QB who can run his entire offense....hence Sheriron Jones being recruited late in the process.

You're smart.

Yes, we would have. Why? Because, we were a lot healthier early in the season, when we played Oklahoma, UGA, UF, and Ole Miss. With Dobbs starting the season off, he grows and develops. We probably only lose to Bama and maybe Mizzou, and thus are in the driver seat in the East.

No...we would have lost every game and Dobbs would have quit...we wouldn't have made a bowl and Peterman would be our starter. I know this because it didn't happen...so I say it with confidence...therefore I'm right. :shades:

Those few who know so much more than CBJ (in their own minds) just won't give up arguing and showing their foolishness.

Yeah, the sky is the limit if he becomes a COMPLETELY different passer.

he threw for 1200 yards in 5 and half games with alot of his primary weapons at receiver injured for most of those games. i don't think we need to worry about Dobbs as a passer. he's more than adequate. just look out once he gets his full complement of receivers and a slightly better line.

there's a good chance he wins SEC offensive player of the year.

He should be fun to watch this season. I still can't get a handle on his gait when he runs. He is deceptive.

Those few who know so much more than CBJ (in their own minds) just won't give up arguing and showing their foolishness.

If someone criticizes any decision butch makes there are certain people that will get on here and say you should be the coach if you're so smart bla bla bla...I don't get it. People sit around all the time second guessing decisions made by our president. Yet if you don't agree it's never suggested that you should just go be the president. Lol
I've yet to see one poster suggest they would be better at the job than butch. But that doesn't mean that butch doesn't make poor decisions somethings...like just for example, making Worley the starter when we run a zine, read option offense.
Here's another post decision...butch named Peterman the second string. I think at this point even butch would acknowledge it was a mistake. He went out of his way to continually talk about how bad Dobbs is at practice specifically in an attempt to justify what was obviously to everyone on planet earth a mistake.

he threw for 1200 yards in 5 and half games with alot of his primary weapons at receiver injured for most of those games. i don't think we need to worry about Dobbs as a passer. he's more than adequate. just look out once he gets his full complement of receivers and a slightly better line.

there's a good chance he wins SEC offensive player of the year.

No doubt. What if Dobbs would have had the whole fall camp to work on chemistry and timing with the ones? How much better would he have been? I for one an sick if people saying he's not a good passer. That's not what I saw.

Every time somebody mentions Dobbs shouldve started at the beginning of the season, somebody mentions the Vandy game lol (which we won). I guess UT starting qbs are the only ones that have bad games. Its almost like a lot of people on this board just don't wanna admit that Jones made the wrong decision. Its ok folks, Jones isn't perfect and to say that Dobbs all of a sudden mid season turned into our best QB is bs.
You're obviously missing the point. Someone said he would have led them to Atlanta. Now that's delusional.

You're obviously missing the point. Someone said he would have led them to Atlanta. Now that's delusional.

Someone speculated that we might have ended up. In Atlanta...which is highly likely. The east was wide open and Dobbs was far and away our best qb. Had he been give the job from the beginning and had an opportunity to develop chemistry and timing with our best receivers...how could anyone completely dismiss the possibility?

No doubt. What if Dobbs would have had the whole fall camp to work on chemistry and timing with the ones? How much better would he have been? I for one an sick if people saying he's not a good passer. That's not what I saw.

What if we had put him out there again before he was ready.....he struggles badly, gets knocked around and his confidence is shaken...then maybe he never becomes the QB he has the chance to become.

What if we had put him out there again before he was ready.....he struggles badly, gets knocked around and his confidence is shaken...then maybe he never becomes the QB he has the chance to become.

Well I believe the circumstances he's faced this season when he finally got his chance prove that wouldn't have happened. He started this year down 14-0 with terrible field position against Alabama. And he did very well. And at that point in the season neither vp or Josh Smith were available. Those were the best two wrs we had. On the flip side...Worley was able to get tons of work through out fall camp with all our best wrs and start the season against two cupcake opponents. What if Dobbs had been given that same opportunity. Look what he did with much worsecircum stances. How could you possibly say he wouldn't have done better had he been given the same opportunity as Worley?

Well I believe the circumstances he's faced this season when he finally got his chance prove that wouldn't have happened. He started this year down 14-0 with terrible field position against Alabama. And he did very well. And at that point in the season neither vp or Josh Smith were available. Those were the best two wrs we had. On the flip side...Worley was able to get tons of work through out fall camp with all our best wrs and start the season against two cupcake opponents. What if Dobbs had been given that same opportunity. Look what he did with much worsecircum stances. How could you possibly say he wouldn't have done better had he been given the same opportunity as Worley?

I have no idea if he would have done worse or not and neither do you. All reports from practice stated how bad Dobbs had struggled with accuracy. True, Im sure he showed glimpses of brilliance but consistency was not there. Butch knew that Dobbs was our future and was trying to build him up till he was ready. Worley was just the caretaker until Dobbs was ready to go. I don't think Butch was confident in sticking him out there when he did but this time Dobbs shown brightly in the spotlight instead of wilting under the pressure. Its easy to try and second guess after the fact.

Someone speculated that we might have ended up. In Atlanta...which is highly likely. The east was wide open and Dobbs w.as far and away our best qb. Had he been give the job from the beginning and had an opportunity to develop chemistry and timing with our best receivers...how could anyone completely dismiss the possibility?

You obviously didn't go to any of the practices. Dobbs didn't look very good.
By the way, all the QBs work with all of the receivers.

Lol pots. Debating with you is pointless. If you're not an attorney you missed your calling.
I don't have a link I can post regarding the players but I absolutely remember players commenting that they weren't suprised at Dobbs success because they see him do amazing things all the time in practice. Barnett was one of the ones that commented on it.

And I didn't go out of my way to be critical of butch in this thread. The thread just ended up getting hijacked regarding whether Dobbs should have been the starter all along. I commented that I thought he should have and that butch made. Some poor decisions last season and Dobbs was one of them. Somebody said what others were there and I mentioned the same ones that I believe costs us last year.

Like i said, "link or it never happened"...just another case of you making up crap to fulfill your agenda! :p

Except for the fact that CKs arm is much stronger and he is much faster. Besides that they kinda compare.

Dobbs is an elite runner at this level with his vision and instincts... You're comparing one of the strongest arms in the NFL...

If someone criticizes any decision butch makes there are certain people that will get on here and say you should be the coach if you're so smart bla bla bla...I don't get it. People sit around all the time second guessing decisions made by our president. Yet if you don't agree it's never suggested that you should just go be the president. Lol
I've yet to see one poster suggest they would be better at the job than butch. But that doesn't mean that butch doesn't make poor decisions somethings...like just for example, making Worley the starter when we run a zine, read option offense.
Here's another post decision...butch named Peterman the second string. I think at this point even butch would acknowledge it was a mistake. He went out of his way to continually talk about how bad Dobbs is at practice specifically in an attempt to justify what was obviously to everyone on planet earth a mistake.

I've mentioned it and others have. Butch knew he wanted to redshirt Dobbs. Butch planned on really competing for SEC and playoffs in 2016 and 2017. Butch said the goal for 2014 was a bowl which was 6 wins and thought Worley could do it. The O line had to block that scheme for the future which is Dobbs and the incoming Crew.

You can complain all you want but you are presenting false dilemmas.

Except for the fact that CKs arm is much stronger and he is much faster. Besides that they kinda compare.

It's hardly a poor general comparison. Both are athletic dual threat QBs who can hurt you throwing it or running it. If Kaepernick runs 4.5 to Dobbs' 4.6 or has a few more mph on his fastball, it doesn't diminish the comparison.

VN Store

Back