'22 TN PG Brian Edwards Jr. (BJ Edwards) (Tennessee commit)

LucidZ

UMAXcY5O_400x400.jpg

Knoxville Catholic High School / B. Maze Elite AAU
Knoxville, TN
6'1
170 pds.

Looks pretty good for a sophomore. Is that right?

Yeah, he's just a Sophomore. Also, he's already growing I suppose...maybe he'll be even bigger by the time he gets to college. Per Knox Catholic's roster page they have him listed at 6'2, instead of 6'1.

Yeah, he's just a Sophomore. Also, he's already growing I suppose...maybe he'll be even bigger by the time he gets to college. Per Knox Catholic's roster page they have him listed at 6'2, instead of 6'1.

Isn't this where Bowden went?

Eric Bossi from Rivals is doing a piece on several under-the-radar prospects that were primed to use the travel circuit to boost their recruiting stock this summer called HELLO MY NAME IS..
A 6-foot-2 lead guard out of Knoxville, Tenn., BJ Edwards is a good size playmaker that has grown another inch since last year and brings a calming influence to the backcourt. He is a more than capable shot creator for both himself and his teammates in the half-court. Attending Knoxville Catholic High School, Edwards finished his sophomore season by posting averages of over 19 points, seven assists, six rebounds and three steals. He was also the catalyst for his high school team that finished the season with 25-4 record which culminated in a state championship.
Slated to run with the B-Maze Elite unit on the Under Armour circuit this summer, his travel coach, Bobby Maze, gave his own insight on the four-star guard. “BJ Edwards is an elite talent that may be the fiercest competitor in the country. In short, he dominates a game in a variety of ways,” Maze said. “He has a ridiculous handle and can score the ball in a variety of ways, but where he really separates himself is on the defensive end and in rebounding. He is a lock down defender that uses his length and strength to wreak havoc on opposing players and teams.”
Situated in Knoxville, one would assume that the local Tennessee program would be involved with Edwards, which it is. The Vols were one of the first to offer Edwards, a list that now includes Auburn, Georgetown, Seton Hall and South Carolina. A number of others have shown further interest including Cincinnati, Florida and Vanderbilt. Edwards is in no rush with his recruitment. He has taken unofficial visits to Cincinnati, Tennessee and Vanderbilt in recent months. Maze was not too far off in his assessment on his stud pupil. Edwards is a great two-way guard. I had gotten my first look at him last May and was intrigued by Edwards’ feel, playmaking skills and defensive prowess.
After watching further film and seeing the physical maturity that Edwards has gone through, it is difficult to refute his standing as a national level prospect. Edwards, a four-star prospect, just barely missed the Rivals150 during its last update. The talent is not in question and neither is the winning traits he embodies. While the coronavirus has temporarily postponed his junior summer’s breakout, I would still expect for a bevy of other power conference schools to enter his recruitment. Look for Edwards to enter the Rivals150 rankings in the coming months and for a priority recruitment to ensue throughout his upperclassmen years.

Yeah I think if we miss on Edwards it’s likely because we land someone bigger because I don’t think the staff will miss on him unless it’s for some surprisingly good news. Especially considering the teams we’re up against for Edwards, it seems like an easy choice.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
I like this kid as much as Chandler, just less flashy. In limited viewing, I'm not high on the 7 footer.
Edwards seems like he would likely track on the same career path as a guy like Jordan Bone. A kid who can play significant minutes as a freshman, but will likely be later in his sophomore and junior year before being a major contributor. Chandler will be an impact player from day one.

Eric Bossi from Rivals is doing a piece on several under-the-radar prospects that were primed to use the travel circuit to boost their recruiting stock this summer called HELLO MY NAME IS..

Complete player. Love his pace, quick release, rebounding, willing passing, relentless motor and ability to create shots from everywhere. He us all over the floor.

He will easily be a Top 50 recruit and probably closer to the 30's range. Hope he wants to stay home

Maybe someone in here can attest to this, but my dad was telling me that he heard someone on Sports Talk say that when Edwards's and Chandler's teams played each other last year, that BJ got the better of Chandler. Even if that's true, I know one game doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it might say something about BJ's ability and potential.

Last edited:
Maybe someone in here can attest to this, but my dad was telling me that he heard someone on Sports Talk say that when Edwards's and Chandler's teams played each other last year, that BJ got the better of Chandler. Even if that's true, I know one game doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it might say something about the BJ's ability and potential.
More like Catholic beat Briarcrest, in the state championship game, Chandler had 13 points, Edwards had 14. The biggest stat in the game, imo, Catholic out rebounded them like 2 to 1.

Maybe someone in here can attest to this, but my dad was telling me that he heard someone on Sports Talk say that when Edwards's and Chandler's teams played each other last year, that BJ got the better of Chandler. Even if that's true, I know one game doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it might say something about BJ's ability and potential.
If I watched that game and knew nothing about the players beforehand, I would have told you Edwards was the better player.

That was Mayor of South Knoxville Philly. He calls almost all the shows. He is hilarious when he is on Basilios after game call in shows after having many Beers.

VN Store

Back