'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

“Coach (Rick) Barnes is another great coach,” Phillips told 247Sports Director of Basketball Eric Bossi last month. “The thing that stands out with them is that when I got on the Zoom call with them last week, they were real keen on player development. Especially with guys at my position the more wing type players and coach Barnes has had some success with some great wings.”

It’s been a steady climb for Phillips in the rankings, where he started at No. 73 overall in December 2019 before climbing nearly 60 spots, all the way up to No. 15 overall.

Bossi reported in August that Phillips would ideally decide on a school before his senior season starts, in time to sign during college basketball’s early signing period in November.

“I’m just going to listen to my family and the people in my circle,” Phillips said. “… Then myself, I am doing research on the schools, their recent Draft picks and trying to get as much info as possible.

“When you go on a visit everything is going to be very nice and the best they can make it so I’m listening to people who have experience with these type of things, doing research on my own and that’s what I’ll do to make the best decision.”
-Ramey

He visited Clemson, Florida State, LSU and Wake Forest officially earlier this year…

Senior year visits he visited Southern Cal & scheduled to see Tennessee next week

It seems like this recruitment has flown a bit under the radar with Mitchell and Miller originally being primary targets for us, but with Phillips wanting to decide before his season starts, and with Tennessee getting one of his last visits before the season, it feels like we could maybe have a surprise here?

I'd put the chance as rather low, but man what a haul it would be if we pulled both Wallace and Phillips to pair up with Edwards for this class.

It seems like this recruitment has flown a bit under the radar with Mitchell and Miller originally being primary targets for us, but with Phillips wanting to decide before his season starts, and with Tennessee getting one of his last visits before the season, it feels like we could maybe have a surprise here?

I'd put the chance as rather low, but man what a haul it would be if we pulled both Wallace and Phillips to pair up with Edwards for this class.

Tennessee has been trying like heck the whole time with him since offering, he’s just kind of taking things slower and had a quiet period in there. I would think it’s definitely a good sign that he’s visiting, will be interesting to see if he lines up any other visits.

Seems like a smart kid, that is going to make a well-informed decision on what's best for him and I can respect that. Plus, it makes me want him, at UT, even more

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
So, USC this weekend (Sept. 24-26) and Tennessee next weekend (Oct. 3-5)? I thought Lewis said he was visiting Tennessee this weekend?

my bad Chris. I should have said this weekend. Sorry man. it has been crazy at my house. The wife has Covid and I am trying to work and take care of her and 3 kids. Sorry a little tired. But GBO!!

This week it’s all about Julian Phillips who will be the second five star to be on campus for an official visit this fall. Tennessee has been working this one as hard as Wallace the past few weeks with Barnes getting out to Branson, Mo. to see him.

Phillips hasn’t gotten real serious about cutting his list. He’s still saying that he just has a top ten; which consists of Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Kansas, Florida St., USC, UCLA, Clemson, Florida and Virginia. It seems safe to assume that Tennessee is at least in the top five having secured his first official visit. It is a little unusual to not bring him in during a football weekend but the staff was anxious to get him on campus.

-VQ

Had a chance to catch up with five star Julian Phillips after his official visit to Tennessee this weekend. I think the Vols are in the thick of it. He’s not giving much away as far as favorites, says that he will release a top 3 or 5 soon but he’s taken just two official visits this fall, Tennessee and USC, saw some other places in the summer. Based on that I think Tennessee is on a very short list. Both of his parents were with him on the trip, both are retired military and really liked Rick Barnes and his staff.

Will post story with quotes later today
-VQ

Snippet from VQ article…

Phillips took an official visit to USC two weeks ago and during the summer he made official visits LSU, Clemson, Florida State and Wake Forest.

“This was my last visit,” Phillips said. “I’ll be cutting my list of finalists down to five or less here pretty soon and I plan on signing in November.” Phillips still working on narrowing his list but he knows what he’s looking for.

“It’s really just about finding somewhere that I feel like I fit,” he said. “Somewhere where I have a great relationship with the coach. A great school where I can have success.

“How close the team at Tennessee is really stood out to me, all the guys, from the seniors down to the freshmen. Everybody is like brothers and family, that stood out to me.”

VN Store

Back