'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

No big deal. We don’t want him if he is a guy that takes the cash. I don’t know when Wade will take the hit, but he will.

I feel (fairly) confident he will, and UT basketball will be fine, but it still stings that this is the gift that keep on giving.

Reactions: cardvolfan
No big deal. We don’t want him if he is a guy that takes the cash. I don’t know when Wade will take the hit, but he will.
Not to say “didn’t want him anyway” but tbh in the back of my mind I kind of wonder what kind of cultural fit a guy would be in our program who otherwise chooses LSU.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Not to say “didn’t want him anyway” but tbh in the back of my mind I kind of wonder what kind of cultural fit a guy would be in our program who otherwise chooses LSU.

That's very true. May have lucked out on this one.

My sentiments exactly. Honestly, no disrespect to the kid, but to discount Wade’s misdeeds leads me to believe that he would not be a fit. I also wonder if he and Barnes came to a similar conclusion on that last Zoom meeting.

Reactions: i2amavol and TN_gal
People generally want everyone to play by the same set of rules
Kids can and will get paid now. It's perfectly above board. Are there boundaries that can't be crossed to be legitimate? Sure, but the lines are very distorted and almost impossible to enforce.

There are still rules about player compensation. Wade broke them before and no reason to think he wont continue to break them.
I'm not saying he didn't break the rules then. I 100% believe he's a cheatin' SOB that appears will get away with it. My point was that there is no reason to pay players under the table. With the new rules it's perfectly within the rules to pay the players, directly, from boosters.

I'm not saying he didn't break the rules then. I 100% believe he's a cheatin' SOB that appears will get away with it. My point was that there is no reason to pay players under the table. With the new rules it's perfectly within the rules to pay the players, directly, from boosters.
There are still some rules surrounding it.

People generally want everyone to play by the same set of rules
No one has been playing by the same set of rules in ncaa history….. the ncaa makes up the rules as they go and do not enforce them equally…. In its history….. Tennessee has done more than it’s fair share of paying players.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
There are still some rules surrounding it.
Well sure, but the rules are very easy to work around. It's wide open now. No reason to pay kids under the table.

Remember when Basilio said Barnes was upset that the AD wasn't thrilled at how far behind the curve the UTAD was? I don't have any idea as to whether Coach was pissed but I 100% believe the UTAD wasn't as out front on this as they should have been. I'm sure having DW as a new AD set us back a bit. No fault of his, just limited time to get things going.

No one has been playing by the same set of rules in ncaa history….. the ncaa makes up the rules as they go and do not enforce them equally…. In its history….. Tennessee has done more than it’s fair share of paying players.
So then no rules at all? What people really want is for everyone to play by the same ones. Like I said

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well sure, but the rules are very easy to work around. It's wide open now. No reason to pay kids under the table.

Remember when Basilio said Barnes was upset that the AD wasn't thrilled at how far behind the curve the UTAD was? I don't have any idea as to whether Coach was pissed but I 100% believe the UTAD wasn't as out front on this as they should have been. I'm sure having DW as a new AD set us back a bit. No fault of his, just limited time to get things going.
Just because they’re easy to cheat doesn’t mean they aren’t still rules. The rules Wade broke before are still rules and surely you can’t think he’s all of a sudden playing by the rules now?

VN Store

Back