'21 WA PF Paolo Banchero (Duke Commit)

Maybe I'm just wanting to temper expectations, and maybe it's just my typical cautious optimism, but I'd still take this CB, even from a guy as connected as Meyer, with a slight grain of salt.

This feels more like a case of him projecting a bit, and I say that based on two things; his confidence level of 6, and the natural instinct to connect Chandler and Banchero.

That isn't to say it won't happen, but I dont know that Meyer is basing this particular CB on any new evidence, at least that I'm aware of. I would like to hear his explanation as to why he put his CB in for PB to Tennessee.

I don’t believe it’s based on any new evidence either. I believe I read a quote from him somewhere, maybe twitter, where he said his reasoning was that at this time he “likes Tennessee’s chances better” after the Chandler commitment.

Maybe I'm just wanting to temper expectations, and maybe it's just my typical cautious optimism, but I'd still take this CB, even from a guy as connected as Meyer, with a slight grain of salt.

This feels more like a case of him projecting a bit, and I say that based on two things; his confidence level of 6, and the natural instinct to connect Chandler and Banchero.

That isn't to say it won't happen, but I dont know that Meyer is basing this particular CB on any new evidence, at least that I'm aware of. I would like to hear his explanation as to why he put his CB in for PB to Tennessee.
My guess is he doesn’t feel anyone is out front, 2-3 team race and Chandler committing is what caused him to make that pick. I’m guessing if you asked him he would say 1-2 other teams have as good a chance of landing Banchero as Tennessee.

Definitely not a done deal. Just the fact we have received a CB for a player of his caliber is telling. We have had 5 stars in the past but usually the 10-20th best player. Getting a CB for a consensus toP 3 player in the class just feels like we have entered a new level as a program.
No, its definitely not a bad thing. Don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to provide some perspective and temper the enthusiasm of our fans, particularly the portion who have arrived here in the last 24 hours, not to take this to the bank as a done deal. I don't think Meyer's CB is based on anything new (other than KC officially committing), and don't want people to be misguided by it because Jerry Meyer is certainly well-connected. You usually pay attention when he drops a CB on a kid. In this case though, it seems more projective than information based.

Reactions: TN_gal and Newman
My guess is he doesn’t feel anyone is out front, 2-3 team race and Chandler committing is what caused him to make that pick. I’m guessing if you asked him he would say 1-2 other teams have as good a chance of landing Banchero as Tennessee.
That is my assumption, too. A lot of people see a CB and then think it's only a matter of time, and even coming from Meyer, I don't think that is the case with this one.

Tennessee's chances increased significantly yesterday when KC committed, but I don't believe it is inevitable, yet. Kenny Payne leaving UK helped. The rumor that PB "didn't really like the Duke experience", helped. The rumored belief from Gonzaga's side that he will follow KC to Tennessee helps.

Yep, lots of different factors benefiting Tennessee while at the same time potentially hurting the other schools in his recruitment, all in just the last few days.

Not a top 5 pick... or even a lottery pick. He was taken 19th overall by the Charlotte Bobcats (now the Hornets) in 2011.
But in a redraft? Lottery for sure. Bleacher Report did one for his draft class awhile back...wish I had saved it.

I believe the one piece of new evidence is UK lost heavy duty recruiter Kenny Payne to the NBA last week. The guy Banchero had the closest relationship to overall IIRC.

I believe the one piece of new evidence is UK lost heavy duty recruiter Kenny Payne to the NBA last week. The guy Banchero had the closest relationship to overall IIRC.
Exactly and the high school recruit that Paolo has the best relationship with, just committed to UT. Looks like all the dominoes are falling in our favor

Reactions: hooter vol
Yeah, in another post (don't remember if it was this thread, or not), I noted the number of things that could have possibly led to Meyer putting in his prediction. I think we can all speculate why he did it, and your above reasoning is one of the several things I earlier noted in the aforementioned post. I'd just like to hear his personal justification for it.

His highlights look like when you create your own player in a video game who is both huge and also who's skill, awareness, and agility are all set to 99.

Like someone else said, and I guess because we're not used to being in it for a guy this highly ranked, I don't recall watching a TN recruits film that is that dominant.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Not to be a Debbie Downer but it needs to be said with PB that because of his super high ranking that even if he commits and signs it’s not official until he gets on campus and the same with Chandler. The new G League rule is a game changer and a lot more kids are opting to play outside the States too. This can change on a whim.

Reactions: Coach_Z
Not to be a Debbie Downer but it needs to be said with PB that because of his super high ranking that even if he commits and signs it’s not official until he gets on campus and the same with Chandler. The new G League rule is a game changer and a lot more kids are opting to play outside the States too. This can change on a whim.

I’m fairly confident that if Rick Barnes can secure a commitment from PB that he won’t decommit and leave before signing day. Could I be wrong? Sure. But Barnes usually recruits quality young men and I wouldn’t be conceded that Banchero would change his mind.

VN Store

Back