'21 WA PF Paolo Banchero (Duke Commit)

Why do you say that?
If he goes 2020 it’s possible schools like Kentucky, Duke and UNC have taken other blue chip players at his position, and so they likely become less appealing of a situation. Meanwhile a school like Tennessee would seemingly have a frontcourt if John Fulkerson and Uros Plavsic to compete with. If he stays 2021 all the schools on his list will prioritize him and make him their first choice, and thus potentially more appealing situations.

Ultimately I don’t think it will matter as I think he stays out west, but imo our best chance is 2020.

As others have stated there are a lot of possibilities of the roster...Jalen Johnson is likely eligible to grad transfer, same for John Fulkerson and quite possibly Zach Kent. Then you’ve got a potential early departure in Josiah James, and then obviously you’ve also got the potential of anyone just flat out transferring which we’ve seen every year under Barnes.

As Chris stated, we won’t know those answers for awhile, but the same applies to Banchero...I would recruit him as hard as possible and if the numbers work out come March/April then you’re glad you did.

That was me except I threw out the possibility of Kent going on a medical scholarship and staying at TN. Hopefully he can play at dome pint, but he's nearly had chronic health issues since he arrived.

James to the NBA.
Johnson or Fulkerson grad transfers.
Pember becomes a walk-on.
Kent retires.
Regular transfer.
Career ending injury.
Somebody gets kicked out of school.

It's highly unlikely that none of those things happen anyway. But Cardwell (or Panchero) hasn't committed yet so it's not even an issue (yet).

FWIW, he was an official visitor at Kentucky's Big Blue Madness event a couple of weeks ago, and since then there's been chatter that he's a silent commit to UK. One of the their 2020 recruits let slip that there was a PF who was a silent commit. No idea whether or not it's Banchero, but that's been the chatter in their circles.

He's also said that he and Chandler have talked about playing together. I think it's noteworthy that they are both official visitors on Rocky Top this weekend.

Coach English is the lead recruiter and I think he's done a tremendous job so far.

FWIW, he was an official visitor at Kentucky's Big Blue Madness event a couple of weeks ago, and since then there's been chatter that he's a silent commit to UK. One of the their 2020 recruits let slip that there was a PF who was a silent commit. No idea whether or not it's Banchero, but that's been the chatter in their circles.

He's also said that he and Chandler have talked about playing together. I think it's noteworthy that they are both official visitors on Rocky Top this weekend.

Coach English is the lead recruiter and I think he's done a tremendous job so far.

Chatter from UK fans regarding recruiting is worthless. That fanbase took a video of Calipari walking to an airplane to fly to the 2019 NBA Draft to mean that Blackshear must have committed to them because it looked like Calipari was walking with some "swagger." Kentucky fans think anyone that steps on their campus is a silent commit once they leave. Don't get me wrong, Banchero may end up there because it's Kentucky and they only recruit 5-Stars, but he certainly isn't a silent commit.

Chatter from UK fans regarding recruiting is worthless. That fanbase took a video of Calipari walking to an airplane to fly to the 2019 NBA Draft to mean that Blackshear must have committed to them because it looked like Calipari was walking with some "swagger." Kentucky fans think anyone that steps on their campus is a silent commit once they leave. Don't get me wrong, Banchero may end up there because it's Kentucky and they only recruit 5-Stars, but he certainly isn't a silent commit.

Noted.

UK fans do seem to take their recruiting chatter to the next level, particular surrounding Coach Cal. (Off-topic: Their chatter regarding another elite prospect, Cade Cunningham, is through the roof. ) It will be interesting to follow Banchero's recruitment. I'm still adjusting to the fact that we're now in the same recruiting circles as UK.

That was me except I threw out the possibility of Kent going on a medical scholarship and staying at TN. Hopefully he can play at dome pint, but he's nearly had chronic health issues since he arrived.

James to the NBA.
Johnson or Fulkerson grad transfers.
Pember becomes a walk-on.
Kent retires.
Regular transfer.
Career ending injury.
Somebody gets kicked out of school.

It's highly unlikely that none of those things happen anyway. But Cardwell (or Panchero) hasn't committed yet so it's not even an issue (yet).
I couldn't help but laugh at the "Kent Retires" quote. I had this vision of him being 65 year old and still in uniform still waiting to get in a game.

Reactions: sport3500
I don't think Tennessee has ever had a basketball player from the state of Washington.
You're right, we haven't. Looking at the media guide that has the hometowns listed for every Vol letterman, and none are from the state of Washington. James Ratliff was from Washington DC, but nobody from actual Washington.

Reactions: sport3500
After the game I was at Gay Street Pub with friends and saw Coach Barnes, Josiah, Oliver, Banchero, and a few other folks I didn’t recognized. Seemed to be having a good time, they left right about the same time we did and were debating whether to go to Cruze Farms or Market square

After the game I was at Gay Street Pub with friends and saw Coach Barnes, Josiah, Oliver, Banchero, and a few other folks I didn’t recognized. Seemed to be having a good time, they left right about the same time we did and were debating whether to go to Cruze Farms or Market square
The Reverend in a pub? Scandalous!

Had a chance to catch up with Paolo Banchero, ranked No. 2 nationally in 2021, after his visit. He told me that he is not going to reclassify as many have suspected, so a long way to go with this one, but I think Tennessee made a strong impression on him this weekend. I have said I thought landing him was a long shot, I think I like Tennessee’s chances a little more than I did after talking with him. By no means am I saying that the Vols lead or anything like that, but I think they’re going to be a factor.
He really liked Rick Barnes, loved what he saw at practice was really impressed with what he saw as far as support for the basketball program. He sees a lot of similarities between himself and Kevin Durant and the way Rick coached Durant appeals to him. Barnes told him he would coach him the same way, wouldn’t just stick him in the post, would put the ball in his hands all over the floor. Again, not saying Tennessee leads or anything but I now think they’re going to be a factor.
-Rob Lewis

VN Store

Back