'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Source: 2021's top ranked point guard Kennedy Chandler discusses the latest

Currently, the NCAA's dead period for recruiting runs through August 31st. However, coaches have speculated to Rivals.com that it could be until December or January before the NCAA allows them to host official visitors and that's potentially problematic for Chandler's timeline.

“I want to take my official visits, go to games and go to see the college coaches and speak to them in person," Chandler told Rivals.com. "I don’t want to do virtual visits over the computer. If I have to I will, but I would rather go to the school with my family. It would be tough for me without visits because I want to take my visits in the fall and go from there.”

Tennessee: “I have a good relationship with them, Coach (Kim) English and Rick Barnes. Ever since they offered me they have really enjoyed recruiting me so I have a great relationship with them.”

RIVALS' REACTION

Speaking with Chandler, a few things are pretty clear. He genuinely wants to keep his promise to his final five schools that he will visit each of them officially and that he doesn't want to have to wait any longer than he has to in order to make a decision.

In a perfect world, the NCAA's dead period gets lifted and Chandler can begin setting visits in September. However, the odds of that happening appear to be slim. Another month or two of a dead period may be something that Chandler could wait out, but he made it clear that if he can't start setting visits relatively soon then he would have to talk to his family about adjusting his plans.

Not taking visits wouldn't be perfect, but since Chandler has seen four of his five finalists he would still be able to make a pretty informed decision.

Currently, Tennessee is the favorite pick of those casting votes in the Rivals.com Futurecast and the Vols are certainly in good shape. However, Chandler himself would not tip his hand in regard to any leader.
My opinion is that mid-fall will be a possible time he announces his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe what this young man himself says. No disrespect to all the pundits and to all who those who wholeheartedly believe these guys, but I bank my trust on what Chandler and his father are communicating.

My whole point is that there isn't a coach at UT that would give preferential information to media members about a recruit. I'm not saying these guys don't have information, but coaches aren't going to risk their livelihood, a recruits confidence, and the potential detriment to the university to give out inside info.

That actually happens all the time

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

My whole point is that there isn't a coach at UT that would give preferential information to media members about a recruit. I'm not saying these guys don't have information, but coaches aren't going to risk their livelihood, a recruits confidence, and the potential detriment to the university to give out inside info.
That’s a pretty naive perspective. That kind of stuff happens a lot. Brent Hubbs has made a living based on relationships with the Tennessee football staff, and that very kind of information is the lifeblood of his business. The staff isn’t his sole source, but they are certainly one of his sources.

That’s a pretty naive perspective. That kind of stuff happens a lot. Brent Hubbs has made a living based on relationships with the Tennessee football staff, and that very kind of information is the lifeblood of his business. The staff isn’t his sole source, but they are certainly one of his sources.
I disagree. I doubt that coaches are willingly giving "tips" about recruits to media members. However, I won't call you naive because you have a different opinion.

I disagree. I doubt that coaches are willingly giving "tips" about recruits to media members. However, I won't call you naive because you have a different opinion.
Don't take it personal. I just believe your opinion is ideological. That isn't meant as an attack or an insult. And feel free to stick to that opinion, but I'm telling you with great confidence, it is incorrect. When VQ uses language like, "Tennessee is in a great spot", it is generally code for "Tennessee lock" and is usually backed by information directly from the player or directly from the staff. That isn't a secret.

Last edited:
Don't take it personal. I just believe your opinion is ideological. That isn't meant as an attack or an insult. And feel free to stick to that opinion, but I'm telling you with great confidence, it is incorrect. When VQ uses language like, "Tennessee is in a great spot", it is generally code for "Tennessee lock" and is usually backed by information directly from the player or directly from the staff. That isn't a secret.

Rob Lewis very commonly uses the phrase “from about as close to the situation as you can possibly get” very often, pretty obvious what it means. Again, this is common knowledge.

Rob Lewis very commonly uses the phrase “from about as close to the situation as you can possibly get” very often, pretty obvious what it means. Again, this is common knowledge.
Yes, and on the opposite side, you also have cases of coaches leaking a recruit’s intentions when they choose another school. On the football side, Kirby Smart and his staff have been rumored to do this, presumably out of spite, as was Urban Meyer.

Now, in the interest of transparency, do I think anyone on the staff is picking up the phone as a cold call to Brent Hubbs or Rob Lewis to inform them of a kid’s decision? No. But I do think that they will often confirm Tennessee’s position with a player to certain media members that they have solid relationships with, as a favor. And that works both ways. When the staff needs a situation spun a certain way in the media, they can rely on those same people to report things in a positive light. Just like any other business, it is a “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” industry.

Now, in the interest of transparency, do I think anyone on the staff is picking up the phone as a cold call to Brent Hubbs or Rob Lewis to inform them of a kid’s decision? No. But I do think that they will often confirm Tennessee’s position with a player to certain media members that they have solid relationships with, as a favor. And that works both ways. When the staff needs a situation spun a certain way in the media, they can rely on those same people to report things in a positive light. Just like any other business, it is a “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” industry.
I've always viewed it as those "If you blink then it's a yes, if you don't blink then it's a no" type of conversations between media members and staff members. There's ways to extract and gain information or give it to earn favor and build a relationship without burning a recruits trust.

Reactions: cncchris33
I don't understand how people think that coaches DON'T give media breadcrumbs and direct information. How else would guys like Brent Hubbs, Austin Price, Ryan Callahan, Grant Ramey, etc. make a living on the Tennessee beat? Do people think they're just making stuff up to tell to their subscribers? Clearly they know things, and those thing are coming from 1 of two sources---the coaches or the recruits. It's indeed naive to think otherwise.

100% there’s a fair bit of reading between the lines you have to do because VQ has to cover their ass in case the kid changes his mind and goes somewhere else and they don’t want to spoil it for the recruit (though they kinda did for Springer). They’re speaking the same way about Chandler the same way they did for Springer, Keon, Hopson, Tobias Harris.

It’s one of the reasons why I don’t have too much confidence in pulling Jabari Smith tbh, imo you can tell the VQ guys (and in turn probably the basketball staff) don’t have the same confidence with him, we seem to be trailing Auburn. Maybe/hopefully that will change once Chandler commits.

I don't understand how people think that coaches DON'T give media breadcrumbs and direct information. How else would guys like Brent Hubbs, Austin Price, Ryan Callahan, Grant Ramey, etc. make a living on the Tennessee beat? Do people think they're just making stuff up to tell to their subscribers? Clearly they know things, and those thing are coming from 1 of two sources---the coaches or the recruits. It's indeed naive to think otherwise.

Dont forget Sabanocchio and Andrew Ray. They get their info from aliens in their Mom's Basement

Reactions: Jack Burton
100% there’s a fair bit of reading between the lines you have to do because VQ has to cover their ass in case the kid changes his mind and goes somewhere else and they don’t want to spoil it for the recruit (though they kinda did for Springer). They’re speaking the same way about Chandler the same way they did for Springer, Keon, Hopson, Tobias Harris.

It’s one of the reasons why I don’t have too much confidence in pulling Jabari Smith tbh, imo you can tell the VQ guys (and in turn probably the basketball staff) don’t have the same confidence with him, we seem to be trailing Auburn. Maybe/hopefully that will change once Chandler commits.
I think being in Smith’s top 2 is an enviable position. If we trail AU, I don’t believe it’s by much, and I think Chandler can be a persuasive party toward our cause. It’s why I wish he’d go public sooner rather than later. I really just think VQ doesn’t talk as much about Smith because he doesn’t seem anywhere near ready to make a decision. JMO.

I think being in Smith’s top 2 is an enviable position. If we trail AU, I don’t believe it’s by much, and I think Chandler can be a persuasive party toward our cause. It’s why I wish he’d go public sooner rather than later. I really just think VQ doesn’t talk as much about Smith because he doesn’t seem anywhere near ready to make a decision. JMO.

VQ has mentioned Smith numerous times in recent weeks as most likely to jump in after Chandler, and talked about Tennessee being in a good spot with him...haven’t gotten much of a vibe at all that VQ doesn’t seem to feel good about Smith or that they trail Auburn by a large amount, if they even trail at all.

VQ has mentioned Smith numerous times in recent weeks as most likely to jump in after Chandler, and talked about Tennessee being in a good spot with him...haven’t gotten much of a vibe at all that VQ doesn’t seem to feel good about Smith or that they trail Auburn by a large amount, if they even trail at all.
That’s what I thought, too.

Reactions: Afowl2
My opinion is that mid-fall will be a possible time he announces his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe what this young man himself says. No disrespect to all the pundits and to all who those who wholeheartedly believe these guys, but I bank my trust on what Chandler and his father are communicating.

You must not know how beer works...

Did we ever figure out who the "rumblings" of a commitment were about this week? The supposed 5-star prospect Corey Evans heard was announcing? It wasn't Chandler so did someone else commit?

As far as the sites go, I'm pretty sure the relationship between the writers and the staff goes both ways. Writers who get close to a recruit can relay info to an assistant coach.

Also, writers are bagmen.

Thon Makers brother has nothing to lose with committing to an HBCU. His family is already rich, and i'd bet he'll never end up attending anyways with the one and done rule likely ending soon and the new G league team being developed.

I just can't see Kennedy going that route.

VN Store

Back