'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Seems like some wishful thinking and quite a bit of liberty taken by that VQ poster. Almost all of that is common knowledge, and the Durant/Seattle Supersonics angle is ridiculous. 1.) Durant only played one season in Seattle before they moved to OKC. 2.) Banchero was 6 or 7 years old when they moved. He likely barely remembers it.

I think KC certainly helps us with PB if he were to come here, and the belief is that Tennessee probably has a slight lead for KC. Also well known that Barnes is pushing the KD angle with Banchero.
Facts

Reactions: sport3500
He’s not going to Memphis. He’ll let Penny recruit him and give it a fair shake since it is the local school, but this is a UT/Duke battle. He also grew up a Duke fan. Duke is a much bigger threat to us landing him than Memphis.
Yeah I would be surprised if Memphis gets serious consideration from KC. They are in a very ambiguous position at the moment. How can they tell any recruit with some type of certainty that everything will be fine with the NCAA investigation. And just the lack of wisdom/intelligence in playing an illegal player and looking absolutely horrible in several games this past year will not help their position with recruits. Lost a few games by a huge margin. One by like 40 pts (cant remember to who) but all that comes into play in recruiting on some level. I'm not really concerned about Memphis though and what they do. I just want the Vols to keep building like we are currently doing!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Yeah I would be surprised if Memphis gets serious consideration from KC. They are in a very ambiguous position at the moment. How can they tell any recruit with some type of certainty that everything will be fine with the NCAA investigation. And just the lack of wisdom/intelligence in playing an illegal player and looking absolutely horrible in several games this past year will not help their position with recruits. Lost a few games by a huge margin. One by like 40 pts (cant remember to who) but all that comes into play in recruiting on some level. I'm not really concerned about Memphis though and what they do. I just want the Vols to keep building like we are currently doing!
The longer Penny stays there the better. Recruiting is likely to suffer eventually, but if is doesn't, he will screw up the blue chippers he gets. They are slipping into insignificance quickly with him.

The longer Penny stays there the better. Recruiting is likely to suffer eventually, but if is doesn't, he will screw up the blue chippers he gets. They are slipping into insignificance quickly with him.
I'm afraid it will evolve into a Drexler situation if Memphis isn't careful. Get the players but people quickly realize it ain't working. And because you've hired a beloved former player (because if we're being judgement day honest the program absolutely had zero choice but to hire an unproven AAU coach) firing him takes on a whole new dynamic that could have you lingering for years. Happens all the time in every sport. Obviously there's always the remote possibility I could be wrong though.

I'm afraid it will evolve into a Drexler situation if Memphis isn't careful. Get the players but people quickly realize it ain't working. And because you've hired a beloved former player (because if we're being judgement day honest the program absolutely had zero choice but to hire an unproven AAU coach) firing him takes on a whole new dynamic that could have you lingering for years. Happens all the time in every sport. Obviously there's always the remote possibility I could be wrong though.
You are right. They have to let him drive it deep into the ground before they can fire him to survive politically in the city and at the university. He has to burn it to the ground for his removal to be accepted by some.

Looks like a true floor general to me. Knows when to score and attack the rim but also gets teammates involved and feeds the floor.

Former teammate Omari Thomas being on campus will help us land this kid.

I doubt anyone is overly concerned with an NCAA "investigation", they are the most gutless, spineless, useless entity on the planet. If north carolina can have "student athletes" getting credit for classes they never took for YEARS and they do nothing then screw them and the miniature pony they rode in on.

I doubt anyone is overly concerned with an NCAA "investigation", they are the most gutless, spineless, useless entity on the planet. If north carolina can have "student athletes" getting credit for classes they never took for YEARS and they do nothing then screw them and the miniature pony they rode in on.
You may be right but no one knows how this new independent panel will handle things. It’ll be interesting to see the outcome.

In watching his film, he reminds me of a more refined and athletic Vescovi with his passing skills. Much quicker initial step than Vescovi.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He’s making an announcement on Gary Parrish’s show tomorrow on 92.9 Memphis. Speculation is transferring high schools and nothing more.

The problem is they're a bunch of greedy sellouts. They have to protect their marque names for the NCAAT. The KY, UK, Duke, and UNC brands will always be protected as long as the NCAA administrators are getting rich themselves.

There was some chatter on the board today about Kennedy Chandler moving to Sunrise Christian Academy in Bel Aire, Kansas. That seems to be his plan according to people we spoke with Thursday night. That move is no impediment to Tennessee’s recruitment of the top point guard in the 2021 class, and frankly, it probably helps to get him out of Memphis.

We continue to feel like Tennessee is well positioned for the No. 10 ranked player in the rising senior class.
-VolQuest.

Chandler moving out of Memphis and to Kansas for his senior season pretty much solidifies he isn’t interested in playing for the local school.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Does anyone believe him coming here relies at all on one or more of springer/Johnson/JJJ going pro after this year?

Obviously we want him no matter what, but I could see him going to duke if none of guys make the jump this year to be featured more in the offense/have a better shot of being a one and done.

If one or more of those guys go pro it’ll be 1. More opportunity for him and 2. Show a clear 1-2 year path to the NBA

Edit: As a disclaimer I have no idea what Dukes roster situation is projected to be, but I just assume they’ll be reloading and there will be less experienced guards on the roster.

Agree. Memphis hasn't really had Memphis private school kids on lockdown like they have with public school kids in Shelby County, but getting KC away from any influence has to help.

Austin Nichols is the only recent private school kid in Memphis I can think of that played for Memphis. Some Memphis fans think they’re getting Cisse from Lausanne, but I think he’s going to LSU.

VN Store

Back