'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Breaks my heart! 😂😂😂
Yep. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how it occurred. Mostly Barnes’ great recruiting, some Penny ego and the real chance that Memphis is on probation by the time Kennedy gets there. Doesn’t matter how it happens. Just get the name on the dotted line. Again, I’m more impressed that Rick beat out Coach K (I didn’t know we bought Zion a house), Ole Roy (Shucks, I don’t know nuthin’ about no academic scandal) and the Smarmy One (Derrick Rose don’t have to take no stinkin’ ACT.) I’m just enjoying it and looking forward to seeing Kennedy as a Vol.

It doesn’t matter, but I would say this is more impressive...NYC kids go all over the country, not 1 single school like Memphis that hand picks them. This was a guy Penny and Memphis desperately wanted, Barnes did something no coach at UT has probably ever done in this recruitment.

With that said, Chandler isn’t a “typical” Memphis kid either, so I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to become common.
Kennedy was never part of the Memphis mafia, and neither was his family. He was not your typical Memphis inner city kid. His decision does not surprise me. Tony Harris's decision did, but not Kennedy's decision.

Kennedy was never part of the Memphis mafia, and neither was his family. He was not your typical Memphis inner city kid. His decision does not surprise me. Tony Harris's decision did, but not Kennedy's decision.

I specifically said he wasn’t a “typical” Memphis kid, that doesn’t change the fact he’s from there born and raised and they wanted him. Austin Nichols was a similar mold of person/family and he got swayed to stay at Memphis.

I specifically said he wasn’t a “typical” Memphis kid, that doesn’t change the fact he’s from there born and raised and they wanted him. Austin Nichols was a similar mold of person/family and he got swayed to stay at Memphis.
And I agree with both those sentences.

If I had the energy, I’d go back through this thread and count all the “I just don’t see us landing him...WISH I WAS WRONG” posts. They never show up to collect their wishes. 😏

Reactions: BaldBiker
People talking about getting a kid away from Memphis? What about Duke, UNC, and Kentucky? This kid had his pick of programs, not just Tiger High.
Lost in all of the gas emissions. If Memphis WANTED Kennedy in any capacity? Then not landing him is “losing him to UT.” Those top program’s fans know better than to trot that weak garbage. Something about having a relevant program.

Trust me. Misplaced as it is, their fans absolutely think their program is in the same stratosphere as the blue bloods. They’ve been to one Final Four legitimately where they didn’t cheat like heck to get there.

Memphis fans hate TN more than they like Memphis.

Just read two Memphis fan tweets that think Memphis’ roster is better than UT’s basketball roster. Why is UT a consensus top 10-15 team and Memphis is not in half of the sports writer’s preseason top 25s, even with the addition of Cisse?

“Lander Nolley, deandre Williams. Moussa cisse are all better than anybody in Tennessee’s team. Boogie and Lester would also probably be Tennessee’s best player depending on the day.”

I’m surrounded by idiots. I love my city but Memphis basketball fans lack basketball knowledge and awareness.

According to Memphis radio, Memphis “wanted” him too late. They didn’t prioritize him from the start like Barnes did and that is to Barnes’ credit.

According to Memphis radio, Memphis “wanted” him too late. They didn’t prioritize him from the start like Barnes did and that is to Barnes’ credit.
I feel pretty sure they prioritized him early. Whether he reciprocated that interest is what I'm not sure of. Memphis folks can't honestly say their lack of interest was the sole reason he is ALL VOL.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
I feel pretty sure they prioritized him early. Whether he reciprocated that interest is what I'm not sure of. Memphis folks can't honestly say their lack of interest was the sole reason he is ALL VOL.
The No. 1 PG in the country in your own backyard and you’re “not interested” or didn’t “prioritize” him. Yeah right. I think it was moreso the interest wasn’t as mutual or maybe Hardaway THOUGHT he had a leg up already but really didn’t. I know Hardaway is heavily pursuing JD Davidson but I believe that was after he fell behind on Chandler.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back