'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Basketball Recruiting - Roundtable: Pro-ready prospects; next big commit

In this article Evans predicts Chandler as committing soon, Cleveland announced today that he’s committing Tuesday and Evans mentioned that he thinks another high profile guy or 2 could also come off the board this week.

Jake Weingarten also specifically mentioned that he is hearing a 5 star could be coming off the board this week.

Just tea leaves but sounds like something could happen with Chandler this week.
We'll see. Felt this way last week, too. But as you've pointed out, appears to be more rumblings for this week, at least.

Man I hope so.

I know Kennedy has said very recently he isn’t ready to make a decision and he wants to take his visits, but I mean this just seems too coincidental. The FutureCasts and Crystal Balls are flooding in and that’s almost always a pre-cursor to a decision. I hope the rumblings of this week being the week do turn out to be true.

from Corey Evans: There have been tons of rumblings of late surrounding
Kennedy Chandler. I would be surprised if his decision is not made within the next 30 days. If that is the case, then Tennessee will be celebrating. Defeating a handful of blue bloods along with the local Memphis program is big not just in the optics category, but also in that Chandler is one of the more polished lead guards that the high school game will have produced within the past five years. With Chandler in tow, he now becomes the Vols' top recruiter which could help them even further in their pursuit of
Paolo Banchero and
Jabari Smith.

from Corey Evans: There have been tons of rumblings of late surrounding
Kennedy Chandler. I would be surprised if his decision is not made within the next 30 days. If that is the case, then Tennessee will be celebrating. Defeating a handful of blue bloods along with the local Memphis program is big not just in the optics category, but also in that Chandler is one of the more polished lead guards that the high school game will have produced within the past five years. With Chandler in tow, he now becomes the Vols' top recruiter which could help them even further in their pursuit of
Paolo Banchero and
Jabari Smith.

Wow. Of the last 5 years? That's damn high praise.

I don't like that he said "In the next 30 days." I need a commitment NOW! There haven't been any booms in football or basketball in awhile.

I'm not sure what "plugged into" the coaching staff means, but I doubt any basketball coach at UT will divulge anything recruiting-wise to the media. The ramifications could be too serious to risk losing a recruit, to jeopardize your own job, etc. Not saying it hasn't happened, but it would be unlikely.

Something to keep an eye on...

Edited to add: It's not Kennedy. Kendall Brown commits to Baylor.

Last edited:
Wow. Of the last 5 years? That's damn high praise.

I don't like that he said "In the next 30 days." I need a commitment NOW! There haven't been any booms in football or basketball in awhile.
We go from "imminent" to not being surprised if it doesn't happen in the next 30 days. Recruiting can be quite the stressor for many of us these days.

We go from "imminent" to not being surprised if it doesn't happen in the next 30 days. Recruiting can be quite the stressor for many of us these days.

It just kind of showcases that most of the experts are also just taking shots in the dark. It’s all guesswork. A lot of them do have legitimate sources, but no one ever really knows what’s going on in these kids heads.

Heard this could be wrapping up soon...
And wrapping up in a good way...

WOAH! An Atlanta Vol Basketball forum sighting! When you say "soon" does this mean this week? Understandable if you'd prefer not to say.

Alright, I'm officially loading the cannons. I can't contain the excitement any longer.

There will be an Epic meltdown if Chandler commits to someone other than Tennessee. It can happen.

How pessimistic of you. There will be disappointment, sure, but there won't be an epic meltdown. We're swimming in uncharted waters now under Barnes and it's hard to fault him if he misses out on the #1 PG in the country to Duke or Kentucky.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Seems like the same situation that happened with Springer could be happening. Last year the first message occurred on October 8 and the announcement didn’t happen until October 23.
Its over.....we win.
Announcement by Wednesday on national TV per VQ, Vols sitting pretty.
As of last night, VQ said it was a matter of when the announcement could be televised on a national outlet. Tennessee still in great shape.
Latest from VQ: doesn't have a definitive time, but expects it anytime now. In their opinion, there is no drama.
Rob Lewis on Jaden Springer:

He is waiting to find out when he can do it on ESPN. He will announce whenever they tell him they have a slot for him from what I’ve been told. I don’t know when that will be.
Jerry Meyer: 'My speculation is that he knows where he wants to go and he's figuring out when he wants to announce it. Where he wants to go I think he knows where he wants to go. They're ordering the catering and figuring out where they want to have the announcement so to speak. I think where he's going is a done deal. Now it's about the logistics of the announcement. "
Rob Lewis says on Springer:

Announcement has already been videotaped and ESPN has it.

I don't think it makes Tennessee the favorite necessarily but it certainly helps their chances IMO. Banchero has made it clear in the past that he and Chandler are not a package deal, just that the two have discussed the possibility of playing together.

I think I like their chances with Smith a little better just because of the other schools they're recruiting against and I think it's a big deal for Smith's family that they can get in the car and pretty easily go see him play. Which if he picks Tennessee they can obviously do, not just to get to Knoxville but a bunch of other places around the SEC.

Also, Auburn, who some think is Tennessee's main competition, already has a big time PG in Sharife Cooper (5-star in 2020), and if he's not a one-and-done guy, I think Chandler would be much more attractive to play with as Cooper is much more of a ball-dominant, score first PG than Chandler.

Chandler for sure talks to both of those guys a good bit from what I've been told by people I believe would know.

I'm just not sure right now. There is a ton of chatter out there that he's going to do something and that Tennessee is going to be the pick. But the family hasn't said anything along those lines and like I said, I know for sure that the dad--a good dude by the way who I have met--really pumped the brakes on things in talking to one of our rivals guys.

I honestly don't know what to think about a timetable right now but I do think it's very hard not to like Tennessee's chances at this point.
-VQ.

I’m not sure what to believe. I’ve said in other posts that I feel like the dad is a pretty straight shooter, so I definitely believe it when VQ says the family hasn’t told anyone anything yet, but on the other hand so many predictions are coming out in TN’s favor, especially from guys who don’t just make predictions without first-hand knowledge of the choice. So who’s to say what is true and what isn’t at this point.

I’m not sure what to believe. I’ve said in other posts that I feel like the dad is a pretty straight shooter, so I definitely believe it when VQ says the family hasn’t told anyone anything yet, but on the other hand so many predictions are coming out in TN’s favor, especially from guys who don’t just make predictions without first-hand knowledge of the choice. So who’s to say what is true and what isn’t at this point.
When Atlanta VOL speaks you listen man.

VN Store

Back