'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

This was posted in the recruiting thread by @flowd82. From VQ.

"On the recruiting front there has been a LOT of behind the scenes chatter this week that five-star point guard Kennedy Chandler may be close to pulling the trigger and committing to Tennessee. There’s a lot of smoke there at the moment, and as we’ve been saying for practically months now, it’s felt to us like Tennessee is the team to beat.

However, one of our rivals’ national analysts spoke to Chandler’s father on Wednesday night and he insisted that a commitment was not imminent and that the family’s desire was to take visits in the fall (presuming the dead period is lifted) and then make a decision.

That would seem to pump the breaks on an impending commitment, but regardless of what happens it’s really starting to feel like Tennessee is in the driver’s seat here.

Also, as we noted last week, if Chandler jumps in the Vol’s boat, they immediately become more attractive to other five stars like Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith, two prospects that we’re told Chandler speaks with regularly."

The Crystal Balls are now 100% Tennessee with John Watson of Duke changing his Crystal Ball early this morning.

And then there's this from a new interview with Travis Branham: Kennedy Chandler discusses top five, timeframe and Ja Morant

While things have been buzzing around his recruitment, he says he would still like to see every school on his final list before deciding.
"I still want to see all of the schools before I make my decision," he said.

Tennessee: "I got a good relationship with them and coach [Kim] English. Ever since they offered me they have been recruiting me really hard and they have some underrated players that go there and that’s a school that I’m interested in."

When asked if he has a timeframe regarding when he would like to make a decision, he simply said, "No, I do not."

Tennessee has shifted and has received 100-percent of the crystal ball picks for the top ten prospect.

Well, I mean he could be lying to keep things a surprise, but I guess a decision isn’t as close as we thought. Seems weird that so many people would put in a crystal ball for a recruit that is still months away from committing and has all his visits left.

He can “want” to see all the schools but still choose not to...the dead period has been extended through August 31st so at the least there’s no visits prior to that. Sounds like it will be extended through at least September or October, if that is announced then you are going to see a lot of guys go ahead and make decisions as fall visits will not be possible.

Don’t understand why not commit already? Duke has two 5 star guards who won’t be one & dones . Kentucky has a 5 star Pg who won’t be a one and done either.
Let him have his time. He likely wants to make sure it's a good fit and why pass up on free visits around the country making memories (if you watch any former NBA players podcast they always talk about memories visiting schools and hanging with other future NBA players on those visits).

Reactions: Vol49er
Let him have his time. He likely wants to make sure it's a good fit and why pass up on free visits around the country making memories (if you watch any former NBA players podcast they always talk about memories visiting schools and hanging with other future NBA players on those visits).
If he's unsure, I think understandably he should take his time. If he is sure, though, he needs to get in the boat and start publicly swaying the opinions of other top prospects. He has that kind of influence, it sounds like. From a strategic standpoint, waiting it out only hurts that effort if you wait until a couple weeks before signing day to publicly decide.

If he's unsure, I think understandably he should take his time. If he is sure, though, he needs to get in the boat and start publicly swaying the opinions of other top prospects. He has that kind of influence, it sounds like. From a strategic standpoint, waiting it out only hurts that effort if you wait until a couple weeks before signing day to publicly decide.

Pretty much sums my thoughts up on it as well. Seems way too coincidental that in the past two weeks some of the best basketball recruiting analysts like Corey Evans, Jerry Meyer, etc. have all cast their predictions for it to just be one of their hunches. It feels like they have caught wind of some sort of information. I feel like they have to know some sort of commitment timeline. Hell that one dude (forget his name) tweeted “Sources are telling me it’s Tennessee, and fairly soon.”

I’m just speculating but I wonder if Kennedy was planning on commiting but his decision got leaked and now he is delaying it again to try and drum up some mystery and anticipation. I wouldn’t think he is the type of kid to do that, but who knows, social media clout is a real thing that kids care about now.

This was posted in the recruiting thread by @flowd82. From VQ.

"On the recruiting front there has been a LOT of behind the scenes chatter this week that five-star point guard Kennedy Chandler may be close to pulling the trigger and committing to Tennessee. There’s a lot of smoke there at the moment, and as we’ve been saying for practically months now, it’s felt to us like Tennessee is the team to beat.

However, one of our rivals’ national analysts spoke to Chandler’s father on Wednesday night and he insisted that a commitment was not imminent and that the family’s desire was to take visits in the fall (presuming the dead period is lifted) and then make a decision.

That would seem to pump the breaks on an impending commitment, but regardless of what happens it’s really starting to feel like Tennessee is in the driver’s seat here.

Also, as we noted last week, if Chandler jumps in the Vol’s boat, they immediately become more attractive to other five stars like Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith, two prospects that we’re told Chandler speaks with regularly."
VQ Is just speculation. Their info is no better, no worse than anyone else's take.

I’ve always wondering why more kids who already know where they’re going don’t take visits to like University of Hawaii or at least like UCLA and stuff, just to see cool areas. I guess they wouldn’t want to waste those programs’ time and money, that would be rude I suppose

Reactions: Vols All Day
I’ve always wondering why more kids who already know where they’re going don’t take visits to like University of Hawaii or at least like UCLA and stuff, just to see cool areas. I guess they wouldn’t want to waste those programs’ time and money, that would be rude I suppose

I'd be sure to take a visit to Presbyterian just to see the blue ho's.

I’d bet he commits here within a few weeks. Too much smoke for there to not be something soon. Could be wrong but I’d guess him and his dad are just saying that to the media to keep things somewhat of a surprise when he does

Reactions: TN_gal

Heath Shuler had Hawaii as a finalist. I bet they figured out long ago how to somewhat determine which are the legit prospects and which ones are tourists.

Reactions: Vol49er
Hawaii won’t let you visit if they’re not already actively recruiting you.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/roundtable-pro-ready-prospects-next-big-commit

In this article Evans predicts Chandler as committing soon, Cleveland announced today that he’s committing Tuesday and Evans mentioned that he thinks another high profile guy or 2 could also come off the board this week.

Jake Weingarten also specifically mentioned that he is hearing a 5 star could be coming off the board this week.

Just tea leaves but sounds like something could happen with Chandler this week.

VN Store

Back