2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Nothing new here, but just to declutter and restate:

Tyson to UNC seems inevitable. There’s some friction around how Davis returning/not returning changes the equation, but I don’t see any outcome being likely besides him announcing today/tomorrow to UNC.

Igor is committed to us. I’ve seen people say there are various challenges, ultimatums etc. That doesn’t hold water with anything I’ve heard. He has a student visa and the school is the sponsor. Changing that status take some steps as do some NIL workarounds. It’ll be done soon.

Lanier is very tight with our staff and I’d be surprised if anyone challenges us. I don’t think Maryland is really going to steal him when it’s said and done. I could be wrong. The biggest frustration is that he has gotten some draft grades that are tempting and some people around him have financial incentives to encourage him to ride out the process. Obviously I was glad to see him in the portal with a no contact tag, but that won’t change the timelines or necessarily stop people from working him. Him coming here is much better than a coin flip. It’s the most likely outcome. I just don’t think we like the pace and that could make it difficult.

Christian Anderson is a really interesting prospect, and I’ll be interested to see if that goes smoothly. That one is a bit of a happy accident, but some of our best recruits have been unexpected/opportunistic situations we leapt on. We’ll see. Staff seems pretty giddy about him as of Friday.

We have a few other next wave prospects, but I think staff is being very cautious given the need to stabilize certain key players and positions.

In my experience, we don’t exactly move at warp speed when it comes to processing student visa paperwork

Not that it means anything but interesting since SF said we reached out, but Norchad Omier’s latest follow is JJJ.

Hopefully in his ear, would be crazy lol
Gotta be honest. He'd be a great addition, but I'd rather finish out with Lanier and Igor from the portal and Anderson to be ZZ's successor.

Gotta be honest. He'd be a great addition, but I'd rather finish out with Lanier and Igor from the portal and Anderson to be ZZ's successor.

Good thing is if we landed Igor, Lanier, Anderson we still have an additional spot open for someone like Omier. Not that I think we actually will land him, but we have space.

Good thing is if we landed Igor, Lanier, Anderson we still have an additional spot open for someone like Omier. Not that I think we actually will land him, but we have space.
Math was never my strong suit, but Okpara, Dubar, Lanier, Igor makes 4. Boswell and Anderson would be incoming freshmen, no? That's 6. Thought we only had room for 5?

Math was never my strong suit, but Okpara, Dubar, Lanier, Igor makes 4. Boswell and Anderson would be incoming freshmen, no? That's 6. Thought we only had room for 5?
Room for 7…3 seniors, 4 transferred out. Currently 2 commits, room for 5…there’s a thread at the top breaking this down.

Not if Lanier comes, this post should be stickied up top all season lol
I hope I'm wrong and made out to look like a fool, but as much as I want to go with the hype, I just don't get it with Lanier. He had one decent season at North Florida. He also had 3 seasons there contributing under 5 pts. I'm not as sure he will be able to create and get to the rim like he did a UNF.

I hope I'm wrong and made out to look like a fool, but as much as I want to go with the hype, I just don't get it with Lanier. He had one decent season at North Florida. He also had 3 seasons there contributing under 5 pts. I'm not as sure he will be able to create and get to the rim like he did a UNF.
Just watch his film and you’ll understand.

Reactions: BisonVol

We have 13 scholarships to fill.

Returning 6: ZZ, Gainey, Cade, JP, Mashack, Carr
Projected 6: Bishop, Dubar, Felix, Lanier, Igor, Anderson

Still will have 1 since Tyson went UNC.

Reactions: CAVPUT
We have 13 scholarships to fill.

Returning 6: ZZ, Gainey, Cade, JP, Mashack, Carr
Projected 6: Bishop, Dubar, Felix, Lanier, Igor, Anderson

Still will have 1 since Tyson went UNC.

Deadline to portal is coming up on May 1, so in 3 days we’ll be aware of our options for such a spot

Reactions: knoxvol52
The NBA agent that was working out with him and his Elite skills trainer in Nashville have posted several of his updated workouts the last month... Chaz Lanier without a doubt would be able to get his shot off and create in the SEC. That's my opinion based on what I keep seeing time and time again...

And I was kind of the opposite of you I did not see Cade Tyson being as great of a fit at Tennessee as Lanier, for several reasons....

And his story is incredible sort of. Zeigler"ish" / Knecht"ish" type of a story.... He was never the man who had the red carpet laid out for him all through high school and college... That brother had to work his butt off to get where he is every step of the way......

The fact is he was one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball and he has the ability to handle the ball as a veteran with college experience to help Ziegler out - Z averaged just over 31 minutes a game this past year and I see people saying he averaged up over 35 minutes a game which is not true... He will get right around 31 minutes of game again as a senior and Lanier provides us with a reliable dude who can take some of that pressure off of Z ..so he's not just a help in the scoring department... He's a specific team need that we would benefit greater as a team with his skill set over a guy like Tyson

Hope you’re right and time will tell. Lanier has to get on campus, first, but I don’t think he will stay in draft.
It will be interesting to see if any other names pop up on the radar as a contingency to Lanier. That may reveal more than anything where we stand.

VN Store

Back