2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

Obviously a rough night. If we had one non-guard on our team that was a regular scorer, the space created for Phillips/Mashack/Dillione/Edwards becomes very different, and guard scoring goes up. ORN scoring 27 made us look like we had lots of space for guards all of the sudden. Our ball movement was great once the Duke guards dropped in to cover the lane. We have some serious development issues post Schwartz, but we really need a scoring 4/5. I think Estrella is going to add both an inside game and a baseline shooting game. We haven’t had that since Grant. Next year is a steep climb, but Estrella and Dillione will contribute. Give me a big who can score…

I just think it's hard for fans to get hopeful about a team that might be heavily reliant on Freshmen scoring. Dillione and Estrella are huge talents I'm excited about but they will be Freshmen. Julian Phillips is also a huge talent and look how his season turned out. The unfortunate fact is that with Zakai's injury next year's team is going to be extremely reliant on underclassmen, which under Barnes has not been a recipe for success.

We're theoretically looking at a rotation that could include Dillione, Estrella, Jefferson, Edwards, Awaka, and Phillips as players with major minutes. That's 6 Freshmen/Sophomores. That's.....concerning.

Obviously a rough night. If we had one non-guard on our team that was a regular scorer, the space created for Phillips/Mashack/Dillione/Edwards becomes very different, and guard scoring goes up. ORN scoring 27 made us look like we had lots of space for guards all of the sudden. Our ball movement was great once the Duke guards dropped in to cover the lane. We have some serious development issues post Schwartz, but we really need a scoring 4/5. I think Estrella is going to add both an inside game and a baseline shooting game. We haven’t had that since Grant. Next year is a steep climb, but Estrella and Dillione will contribute. Give me a big who can score…

Yeah, this season felt a bit like a last stand for a couple of years. Of those that are likely contributors next year, the only one who I have hope will be able to get us a basket is Dillione, and that’s probably more because he’s an unknown than because of any evidence suggesting it. Not really counting on the portal either, especially since it felt like we were already in scramble mode when our ostensible priority scorer went to Tulsa.

Yeah I'm not sure how much overhauling we can expect...

The best Barnes teams typically are Junior/Senior players he's developed and you plug in a star 1 & done talent. So I like the idea of keeping some of these guys who are entering multiple years with Barnes.

So for me the Tier of keep to let go is this

Tier 1: ZZ, Mashack, Dilione, Awaka
Tier 2: Aidoo, Phillips
Tier 3: BJ Edwards, DJ Jefferson (I appreciate he took the RS, but it also worries me)

I feel like BJ Edwards must have been missing something to not see more minutes with the injuries this year. Usually if you're a talented guard and play good defense you'll get minutes under Barnes, even as a freshmen. Shembari did, Bone/Bowden/Turner all did, Santi/JJJ did, Keon/Springer did, KC/ZZ did etc. So if BJ Edwards couldn't in year 1 and wasn't dealing with injuries that's a worry for me.

I just think it's hard for fans to get hopeful about a team that might be heavily reliant on Freshmen scoring. Dillione and Estrella are huge talents I'm excited about but they will be Freshmen. Julian Phillips is also a huge talent and look how his season turned out. The unfortunate fact is that with Zakai's injury next year's team is going to be extremely reliant on underclassmen, which under Barnes has not been a recipe for success.

We're theoretically looking at a rotation that could include Dillione, Estrella, Jefferson, Edwards, Awaka, and Phillips as players with major minutes. That's 6 Freshmen/Sophomores. That's.....concerning.
Exactly why I'm not excited about next year. The athleticism will be much improved but there's a major lack of experience. And it's hard to get excited about the future after that because there is so much player movement in college athletics now. Experienced teams that stay together are going to be few and far between.

Reactions: berryvol

The best Barnes teams typically are Junior/Senior players he's developed and you plug in a star 1 & done talent. So I like the idea of keeping some of these guys who are entering multiple years with Barnes.

Tier 3: BJ Edwards, DJ Jefferson (I appreciate he took the RS, but it also worries me)

I feel like BJ Edwards must have been missing something to not see more minutes with the injuries this year. Usually if you're a talented guard and play good defense you'll get minutes under Barnes, even as a freshmen. Shembari did, Bone/Bowden/Turner all did, Santi/JJJ did, Keon/Springer did, KC/ZZ did etc. So if BJ Edwards couldn't in year 1 and wasn't dealing with injuries that's a worry for me.
Pretty much all of those guys you mentioned played out of necessity, or were very good defenders. Even with ZZ down, we had options at the point, and to this point in his career, Edwards is not a great defender. That's not surprising for a freshman at all.

He got some minutes in some big games that will help him next year. Another full offseason of practice and he could really be a nice player for us.

What did you think about Mashack last year? He wouldn't even look at the basket in his freshmen year, now he was the one to step up and try to actually make plays in the clutch yesterday. Point being, don't give up on a player after not playing much on a team loaded with experience.

Pretty much all of those guys you mentioned played out of necessity, or were very good defenders. Even with ZZ down, we had options at the point, and to this point in his career, Edwards is not a great defender. That's not surprising for a freshman at all.

He got some minutes in some big games that will help him next year. Another full offseason of practice and he could really be a nice player for us.

What did you think about Mashack last year? He wouldn't even look at the basket in his freshmen year, now he was the one to step up and try to actually make plays in the clutch yesterday. Point being, don't give up on a player after not playing much on a team loaded with experience.

Mashack was a project from day 1 though. Still as a freshmen he played in 27 games and averaged 4.6 mpg, not as much as the other names mentioned, but last year's team was more guard heavy than this year's team BY A MILE.

Santi, KC, Powell, JJJ, ZZ, Bailey and unlike this year last year Santi, ZZ, KC, Bailey, JJJ all played in 32 or more games and Powell played in 30. So not an apples to apples.

BJ only appeared in 14 games and saw just 4.1 mpg, Santi, ZZ, Key, Mashack being the only guards ahead of him that played in 30 or more games.

Also mpg isn't a great thing to look at comparing those two and their freshmen seasons. Mashack clocked 123 total minutes and BJ just 58.

Not saying BJ is bad or anything, I just am worried that with how this season went he didn't carve out more minutes for himself.

Reactions: VOLED
Like the optimism. No idea what kind of team we'll have with Dillione, Mashack, Edwards and maybe Phillips if he comes back. Frankly, I'm actually looking forward to it. At this point, we know exactly what we get from Key, JJJ, ON and Plavi. The unknown still gives a glimmer of hope which I'll gladly latch on to. Best of luck to those guys, but I'm ready for a changing of the guard for better or worse.

Very dramatic.
Nah I said before thus season, I hated having ZZ as my starting PG he's just too small, other coaches are just going to put someone bigger than him on them and he struggles. Awaka isnt close to ready, he is lost on defensive rotations and has no offensive game. What has FD proven? We've had other guys come in just like him and leave with a whimper, nobody has proven anything on this team.

No they can get too
I'm ready for change, but I'll roll with ZZ and Dillione. Awaka? Meh. Jury still out on him. Let's see what these redshirts can do along with the incoming class. Just feel we need 2 maybe 3 guys from the portal. If that means a git shirt or 2, so be it. My fantasy is a PG who can score and not be a liability on defense. Give me a post who can regularly make layups, hit 60% or better on FTs and get his fair share of rebounds. Finally, give me a 3 pt shooter who's athletic enough to take his man off the dribble if they try to run him off the 3pt line. Yeah, I know...that's why I chose the word "fantasy". An old man can dream can't he?

I'm ready for change, but I'll roll with ZZ and Dillione. Awaka? Meh. Jury still out on him. Let's see what these redshirts can do along with the incoming class. Just feel we need 2 maybe 3 guys from the portal. If that means a git shirt or 2, so be it. My fantasy is a PG who can score and not be a liability on defense. Give me a post who can regularly make layups, hit 60% or better on FTs and get his fair share of rebounds. Finally, give me a 3 pt shooter who's athletic enough to take his man off the dribble if they try to run him off the 3pt line. Yeah, I know...that's why I chose the word "fantasy". An old man can dream can't he?
I think our wants for the team at least are the same. I want a 1, a sharp shooter, and an offensive minded post.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Nah I said before thus season, I hated having ZZ as my starting PG he's just too small, other coaches are just going to put someone bigger than him on them and he struggles. Awaka isnt close to ready, he is lost on defensive rotations and has no offensive game. What has FD proven? We've had other guys come in just like him and leave with a whimper, nobody has proven anything on this team.
I'm not a huge fan of ZZ starting and playing 35 minutes, but I love having him on our team. Running him off is overdramatic.

Awaka seemed very advanced offensively for a freshman who came in with no reputation of an offensive game, so I guess a little perspective is necessary to see his potential. He shot 59% on 76 attempts and rebounds like his hair is on fire. Defense will come, as will additional offense. He didn't play scared and especially had more confidence offensively than I ever imagined. I see a lot to work with there.

Wanting to run off Freddie Dilione before he plays the first minute is the stupidest position you've had in a while. A top-40 player who was likely on the verge of a 5-star senior season, and you just want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And why? You replace him with who? You whine about him not showing anything before he's even had a chance to show it. What, do you want to also run off JP Estrella, too, before he even gets here?

It's posts like this that make it impossible for me to take you seriously. It's so unreasonable, reactive, and histrionic. There's no common ground to be found, even when I try, because you post like a whiny 13-year old girl on her period without an ounce of perspective or reality. Like the person who spills coffee on the carpet and whose solution to the problem is burning down the house.

I'm not a huge fan of ZZ starting and playing 35 minutes, but I love having him on our team. Running him off is overdramatic.

Awaka seemed very advanced offensively for a freshman who came in with no reputation of an offensive game, so I guess a little perspective is necessary to see his potential. He shot 59% on 76 attempts and rebounds like his hair is on fire. Defense will come, as will additional offense. He didn't play scared and especially had more confidence offensively than I ever imagined. I see a lot to work with there.

Wanting to run off Freddie Dilione before he plays the first minute is the stupidest position you've had in a while. A top-40 player who was likely on the verge of a 5-star senior season, and you just want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And why? You replace him with who? You whine about him not showing anything before he's even had a chance to show it. What, do you want to also run off JP Estrella, too, before he even gets here?

It's posts like this that make it impossible for me to take you seriously. It's so unreasonable, reactive, and histrionic. There's no common ground to be found, even when I try, because you post like a whiny 13-year old girl on her period without an ounce of perspective or reality. Like the person who spills coffee on the carpet and whose solution to the problem is burning down the house.
Because next years team has very little experience, and those teams haven't fared well in years. Hit the portal and load up on JR, SR and grad transfers.

Because next years team has very little experience, and those teams haven't fared well in years. Hit the portal and load up on JR, SR and grad transfers.
You can do that and still keep a nice nucleus of developmental players (Awaka), potential stars (Dilione), and proven products (Zeigler), who will be a junior, btw, which flies in the face of your suggestion of loading up on juniors and seniors.

Completely flipping the roster would be your built-in excuse, next year, for a lack of chemistry and cohesion.

Hypothetically, even if you only keep those 3 players, add JP Estrella, Cade Phillips, and Cameron Carr, you can still go add 7 JR/SR transfers from the portal and satisfy your desire.

You can do that and still keep a nice nucleus of developmental players (Awaka), potential stars (Dilione), and proven products (Zeigler), who will be a junior, btw, which flies in the face of your suggestion of loading up on juniors and seniors.

Completely flipping the roster would be your built-in excuse, next year, for a lack of chemistry and cohesion.

Hypothetically, even if you only keep those 3 players, add JP Estrella, Cade Phillips, and Cameron Carr, you can still go add 7 JR/SR transfers from the portal and satisfy your desire.
I want ZZ gone because of his size, don't care what class he is.

I would expect the team to struggle early sure because of lack of chemistry but by tournament time they'd be prepared and they've been through years of wars.

Also the problem is..... let's say Freddie and Estrella are as good as people are hoping they will be, they're one and done. Then JP possible leaves after next year. Then both portal takes are one and done, you're just turning the roster over again.

So then why not just re load in the portal with upperclassmen every year? Eventually you'll get a group that will hit.

I’m not asking anyone to be hopeful. We are probably a good PG and a scorer away from being top four in the SEC. I don’t see us winning 25 games next year unless we sign some mystery freak that I’m unaware of.

Reactions: Maxwell865
Speaking of Awaka, did he play last night? His rebounding sure could have came in handy. As a matter of fact, rebounding appeared to be our biggest deficit in the second half.

Exactly. He prefers coming off the bench, and I'd argue his game and speed/quickness would make him especially effective off the bench with the change of pace he'd offer. It's why I have a starting PG as my number one need/want from the portal.

You guys are severely undervaluing Aidoo. He’s the most talented 5 during the Barnes era. Got to go way back to recall a 5 I think was equally talented. Guys like that don’t grow on trees. Rim protector who can rebound, run the court, and has a nice 15’ jumper.

Reactions: wisvol22
I want ZZ gone because of his size, don't care what class he is.
That's foolish. Despite his size, he averaged 10.7 pts and led the SEC in assists with 5.4. Also a decent rebounder for his size. A career 33% 3-pt shooter, as well. Disliking him for his size is nonsensical. If he were a middling player and not an all-SEC PG, you'd have a point. As it stands, your complaint holds no water. I'm fine with not wanting him playing 35 minutes, or even starting, but just outright wanting him gone is dumb.

I would expect the team to struggle early sure because of lack of chemistry but by tournament time they'd be prepared and they've been through years of wars.
You're completely fine projecting that idea, rather comfortably, but not with projecting improvement from our existing roster. That's a convenient double standard.

Also the problem is..... let's say Freddie and Estrella are as good as people are hoping they will be, they're one and done. Then JP possible leaves after next year. Then both portal takes are one and done, you're just turning the roster over again.
Nothing to suggest that either player is one-and-done. Not sure where you're getting that idea. And if they were, hypothetically, isn't that a good thing? Doesn't that mean they had really good years? And then we can replace them with some of your juniors and seniors you're pining for out of the portal.

So then why not just re load in the portal with upperclassmen every year? Eventually you'll get a group that will hit.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
What are the chances any of our seniors come back. Key is obviously gone. Uros, I think should move on. Josiah I am 50/50 on, and ON also 50/50. I would like Santiago back. But do we expect any of them to come back. Any word? If y’all had to guess which ones are more likely.

You guys are severely undervaluing Aidoo. He’s the most talented 5 during the Barnes era. Got to go way back to recall a 5 I think was equally talented. Guys like that don’t grow on trees. Rim protector who can rebound, run the court, and has a nice 15’ jumper.
He’s definitely got the most potential. Not sure he is tracking any higher than Kyle Alexander yet, though.. maybe about equal. Feel like Kyle was a bit better rim protector.

VN Store

Back