2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

What he's done for 3 years at Western Kentucky. He wasn't the main PG his freshmen year, but has lead the team in assists all 3 years he's been there and has finished each season with 110 or more assists.

Sounds good to me. We don't need a superstar PG, just one who can spell ZZ and sometimes play alongside him.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think Awaka has an ability to play the 4, eventually. He has the quickness and a good enough shot that he can develop a little more range. Aidoo isn't necessarily restricted to playing in the paint, either, though I'm not sure Aidoo and Dante on the floor together is a great combo. I think Awaka and Dante could co-exist on the floor. Also, we had situations where Nkamhoua played the 5 in a small ball lineup. So he's not an exact like-for-like replacement, but he can replace that production, I think.
Aidoo would need to work on that three and be able to knock it down with more consistency. Awaka i really think he is more of a 5 because he finds the ball when he is on the floor and he can give us 8 to 10 boards a game and some scrap points.

Need to get a portal pg that can get you 15 ppg on average.

Need a center who gets buckets under the basket. I mean, back you up and dunk on you

Other than that, we should be fine next season.

We are very blessed with the way our post season is going without zz

The Arizona player sounds like he'd be great. Can handle the ball, distribute it, good size, makes shots, and has a passion for the game. His decision making at times may be on par with Uros but at least he brings it on the floor.

He called out his teammates in public after the loss and said they didn't play with energy or emotion vs Princeton. He said he was pissed about it and just told the truth. Estonia is in the Eastern European belt that Barnes has familiarity with. I do suspect he'll be a hot commodity. He's led the Pac 10 in assists two years in a row and in made 3s this season. Plenty will take his potential on court mouthiness for his ability to distribute and knock down shots.
No team that has Kriisa on their roster is making a deep run in the tourney.

Aidoo would need to work on that three and be able to knock it down with more consistency. Awaka i really think he is more of a 5 because he finds the ball when he is on the floor and he can give us 8 to 10 boards a game and some scrap points.
My take is Aidoo needs to be accurate from 12-15’ to play big minutes with Awaka. Need Aidoo on the offensive boards more than we need him shooting 3’s IMO.

Obviously it is clear we need to bring in 2 transfers who can fill roles of a PG and a post, but they both need to be able to score. I have no idea where our offense comes from next year and the bar is already pretty low.

Rick has got to do better here. Every single last transfer he's brought in thus far, has no business playing at this level.

This I agree with

You look at Muss and he offers EVERYONE in that transfer portal

Barnes has had some horrible transfers come in here

I think Anosike might have been a tad worse than Tyreke Key and that's saying something

Honestly don't want to lose Mashack or Aidoo either.
I almost included Mashack, but I can see scenarios where I'd make trades for him if we could land an instant impact shooting guard who can fill it up. Part of that may be me being on tilt over our lack of scoring ability. I'd pass on Aidoo for a couple bigs currently in the portal (or potentially jumping in), but I can respect a preference to keep him, too.

Awaka is a kid that could be a Grant Williams - Oscar from Kentucky story. He definitely has basketball skills with rebounding and strength and will only get better. Let’s find some more sleepers from New York to round out the squad. Definitely need scorers ASAP.

I almost included Mashack, but I can see scenarios where I'd make trades for him if we could land an instant impact shooting guard who can fill it up. Part of that may be me being on tilt over our lack of scoring ability. I'd pass on Aidoo for a couple bigs currently in the portal (or potentially jumping in), but I can respect a preference to keep him, too.
Yeah I respect that, I guess its really into tiers for me of players that I don't want to lose and I agree with you:

Tier 1: Dillone, ZZ, Awaka
Tier 2: Mashack, Aidoo, Phillips
Tier 3: Edwards, Jefferson

Mainly just because you can see the potential in the players in Tier 2 and really hope they can stay and reach their potential here. Teir 3 is just really players that we haven't really seen play much yet.

Reactions: cncchris33
I think the only two players on this roster that are untouchable are ZZ and Dillione for me. I'm concerned about the roster next year, just being honest. We are going to be a very young, very inexperienced team (especially without ZZ) and we won't have much returning scoring. I don't know where we'll look for baskets, and Barnes track record in the portal is abysmal, so I'm not sure we'll find it there.

Obviously a rough night. If we had one non-guard on our team that was a regular scorer, the space created for Phillips/Mashack/Dillione/Edwards becomes very different, and guard scoring goes up. ORN scoring 27 made us look like we had lots of space for guards all of the sudden. Our ball movement was great once the Duke guards dropped in to cover the lane. We have some serious development issues post Schwartz, but we really need a scoring 4/5. I think Estrella is going to add both an inside game and a baseline shooting game. We haven’t had that since Grant. Next year is a steep climb, but Estrella and Dillione will contribute. Give me a big who can score…

VN Store

Back