2023 NBA Draft & Offseason aka Dame Time Is a Storm in Which We Are All Lost

Seriously, **** this. IDK how they would fix this, but this is such a ****** result. 9 franchises have never won the lottery, and Spurs are 3/3 on all-timer years. Hawks are 0/4 getting #1 when they have top 4 odds.

345453557_947482329929025_2745634544069138823_n.jpg

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Tate Frazier with some funny observations as a Hornets guy...

They sent Mark Williams as their rep...the hope was to draft the guy that would replace Mark Williams so why send Mark Williams? WTF

Charlotte has never had the #1 pick. They were #2 in the Shaq year. They were #2 the Anthony Davis year. The Hornets drafted Anthony Davis, just not the Charlotte Hornets. And now they are #2 in the Wemby year.

At least Zo and Miller/Scoot are great consolation prizes, but MKG was an all-time drop-off from #1.

Tate Frazier with some funny observations as a Hornets guy...

They sent Mark Williams as their rep...the hope was to draft the guy that would replace Mark Williams so why send Mark Williams? WTF

Charlotte has never had the #1 pick. They were #2 in the Shaq year. They were #2 the Anthony Davis year. The Hornets drafted Anthony Davis, just not the Charlotte Hornets. And now they are #2 in the Wemby year.

At least Zo and Miller/Scoot are great consolation prizes, but MKG was an all-time drop-off from #1.

They also had to trade Alonzo due to cap issues right before the cap/CBA was fixed too. That city has some terrible basketball luck.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Forgot Orlando surprised everyone and took Howard over Okafor in 2004. Then the New Orleans Hornets took Paul one pick before them. Could have had Paul/Howard if things break better

Last edited:
Mike Lombardi is a 76ers fan and he went on Bill Simmons' show to go full scorched earth on them. He is killing everybody in the organization about what a failure the process was. How they didn't draft well or manage the personalities well. They're enablers who let the players walk all over them. He said that multiple people from the organization told him Fultz had the worst workout they've ever seen, and they still drafted him #1. He said that one FO person explained that they traded Bridges for Zaire Smith and a pick because they were the same player. He said in football, one of the cardinal rules to follow is that no two players are actually the same.

He killed Morey for trading for Harden. His logic was sound. Paraphrasing, you're supposed to get the best deal possible for Ben Simmons and somehow the best deal is your buddy from Houston? There is no way that was analytics driven. That was bias driven. I'm not even a basketball guy and I could tell Harden was on the decline.

Most of all, he murdered Embiid. He said you can make whatever excuses you want for him, but he's just not a killer in big moments, and nothing can excuse his inability to get his weight and conditioning right. He's tired in the 2nd quarter of games.

Last edited:
Mike Lombardi is a 76ers fan and he went on Bill Simmons' show to full scorched earth on them. He is killing everybody in the organization about what a failure the process was. How they didn't draft well or manage the personalities well. They're enablers who let the players walk all over them. He said that multiple people from the organization told him Fultz had the worst workout they've ever seen, and they still drafted him #1. He said that one FO person explained that they traded Bridges for Zaire Smith and a pick because they were the same player. He said in football, one of the cardinal rules to follow is that no two players are actually the same.

He killed Morey for trading for Harden. His logic was sound. Paraphrasing, you're supposed to get the best deal possible for Ben Simmons and somehow the best deal is your buddy from Houston? There is no way that was analytics driven. That was bias driven. I'm not even a basketball guy and I could tell Harden was on the decline.

Most of all, he murdered Embiid. He said you can make whatever excuses you want for him, but he's just not a killer in big moments, and nothing can excuse his inability to get his weight and conditioning right. He's tired in the 2nd quarter of games.

Sounds like a fan and not an actual analyst.

It’s funny how people kill “The Process” when the guy who started it was fired and they’ve had three GM’s since then. Not that I think Hinkie was doing great (drafting Noel/Embiid/Okafor three straight years is worse than Millen drafting WR with a top ten pick for three straight years). Simmons was a sunk cost. The fact he turned him into Harden was a minor miracle and he waited 8 months for a better deal.

And the process might actually work out because I could see the 76ers getting Dame. I'm not a big Dame guy, but I do think he and Embiid would be a perfect marriage. They're so complimentary as players. Whether we're talking about physical attributes, skills, or intangibles, whatever one's weakness is, it's a strength of the other guy.

If Blazers are at #3 with Scoot there, they are taking him and they're going to want to move on.

I think the 76ers could incorporate a S&T with Harden, Maxey, and whatever future picks (obviously this would need to be a multi-team trade) they can put together to snag Dame, and that may be enough. Knicks were the strongest suitor, and now they're probably not interested. So who else even wants Dame and can put together a better package?

Sounds like a fan and not an actual analyst.

It’s funny how people kill “The Process” when the guy who started it was fired and they’ve had three GM’s since then. Not that I think Hinkie was doing great (drafting Noel/Embiid/Okafor three straight years is worse than Millen drafting WR with a top ten pick for three straight years). Simmons was a sunk cost.

I would say the GM's after Hinkie did a much better job with personnel decisions than he did. I think Morey did a great job filling out the edges of this roster, and he was dealing with tight constraints. Lombardi's issue with the process is that it created a terrible culture where winning didn't matter for far too long. There was never much accountability because of that...for years.

Did you know that Ben Simmons' brother was his shooting coach? I just learned that.

The fact he turned him into Harden was a minor miracle and he waited 8 months for a better deal.

Morey said they had other options they really liked. Lots of suspicion that it was a De'Aaron Fox-centered package.

I would say the GM's after Hinkie did a much better job with personnel decisions than he did. I think Morey did a great job filling out the edges of this roster, and he was dealing with tight constraints. Lombardi's issue with the process is that it created a terrible culture where winning didn't matter for far too long. There was never much accountability because of that...for years.

Did you know that Ben Simmons' brother was his shooting coach? I just learned that.

Morey said they had other options they really liked. Lots of suspicion that it was a De'Aaron Fox-centered package.

Fox was on the worst contracts list like 16 months ago lol

The only guy there from all the losing is Embiid, and they brought in Doc specifically to help with accountability. Like no offense to Lombardi, it just sounds like typical fan bitching where some of it is true and the rest is fan opinions.

What was the process, really? Waiting for Embiid to get healthy and for Simmons & Fultz to learn how to shoot?

What was the process, really? Waiting for Embiid to get healthy and for Simmons & Fultz to learn how to shoot?

The process was tank and clear as much cap space as possible for 3-4 years and use high draft picks to rebuild (which isn’t new but the complete and utter audacity of it was).

Detroit has done the same thing for the last three years. But they added veterans here and there, took flyers on a couple young guys, etc. Philly didn’t even try that. Tanking is great when you hit. But when you whiff on 3/4 top 10 picks like Hinkie did, AND you completely suck with no intention of hiding it (in a big market), then you get in trouble.

And the process might actually work out because I could see the 76ers getting Dame. I'm not a big Dame guy, but I do think he and Embiid would be a perfect marriage. They're so complimentary as players. Whether we're talking about physical attributes, skills, or intangibles, whatever one's weakness is, it's a strength of the other guy.

If Blazers are at #3 with Scoot there, they are taking him and they're going to want to move on.

I think the 76ers could incorporate a S&T with Harden, Maxey, and whatever future picks (obviously this would need to be a multi-team trade) they can put together to snag Dame, and that may be enough. Knicks were the strongest suitor, and now they're probably not interested. So who else even wants Dame and can put together a better package?

Welp

Fox was on the worst contracts list like 16 months ago lol

The only guy there from all the losing is Embiid, and they brought in Doc specifically to help with accountability. Like no offense to Lombardi, it just sounds like typical fan bitching where some of it is true and the rest is fan opinions.

If that's true, then so was Harden, LOL.

He had a great 2020-21 and then he had a down first half the next year, but it seemed pretty clear it was because he and Haliburton were not a fit.

I would love for the Jazz to move up if it's Scoot available at #3. We have so many picks and between the Blazers and the Jazz, we can put together enough to trade for just about anybody in a 3-teamer.

Id rather take my chances on a Thompson twin or Whitmore over Miller. He’s good, but he has low shot IQ and didn’t play hard enough on defense for my liking

But isn't that exactly what you'd put out there if you were wanting to trade him for the absolute best value. You only trade a guy like this if your fans think you got the best deal, which only time can tell.

I remember Kevin Garnett saying he'd never take a trade to the Celtics (he did), and Danny Ainge later saying he didn't want to trade Garnett or Pierce--he did and Brooklyn hadn't seen a robbery like that since Willie Sutton Jr.

But isn't that exactly what you'd put out there if you were wanting to trade him for the absolute best value. You only trade a guy like this if your fans think you got the best deal, which only time can tell.

I remember Kevin Garnett saying he'd never take a trade to the Celtics (he did), and Danny Ainge later saying he didn't want to trade Garnett or Pierce--he did and Brooklyn hadn't seen a robbery like that since Willie Sutton Jr.

Yeah, but I also believe Dame/Blazers situation is different.

What star are they going to get? What team has a star and is gonna blow it up for that pick? Washington? Simons/Nurkic/#3 for Beal? Boston trading Brown doesn’t make sense for #3…I just don’t see a trade

What star are they going to get? What team has a star and is gonna blow it up for that pick? Washington? Simons/Nurkic/#3 for Beal? Boston trading Brown doesn’t make sense for #3…I just don’t see a trade

They want KAT, lol

VN Store

Back