2023 Depth Chart

Aaron Beasley is the returning defensive player I am the most excited about. He has gotten better every season.
Lol the narrative last off season by so many on here was how bad he was and I constantly told people that he wasn’t as bad as they made him out to be along with the fact that coach Heup has truly developed a culture that will develop players on both sides of the ball if they have that will and determination… I can’t wait to watch Beasley ball out next year.

Bama, Georgia, A&M, Florida, SC are all good enough to beat us. Doesn’t mean we should predict loses to all of those, but it does mean they’re all possible. You can’t predict things like dropped balls, fumbles, tipped balls, pass interference calls, etc.

Or think of how important a well thrown deep ball is in any game. That could easily be the difference in 7 points. And even the best QBs are probably hitting those around 50% of the time. What happens if their QB goes 3/3 on them?

So it’s easy to have a wide margin of error in any one game.

Or not to jinx it, but an unnamed position of need gets hurt early and have to bring in a freshman still learning the system to fill in. Lots of things that can go wrong fast. Who saw us taking a 25 pt. beating from the USCjr Chickens this year? Bama makes that FG & Pitt makes the pass in OT and we have four losses this year.

Or not to jinx it, but an unnamed position of need gets hurt early and have to bring in a freshman still learning the system to fill in. Lots of things that can go wrong fast. Who saw us taking a 25 pt. beating from the USCjr Chickens this year? Bama makes that FG & Pitt makes the pass in OT and we have four losses this year.

Agreed and the only way to minimize that wide margin of era is to continue improving the roster over time.

Our worst game (USC) vs Georgia’s worst game (Missouri) comes to mind here. Georgia had such a wide talent gap they were able to play horribly and still come back and win. We didn’t have that level of talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTrain and murfvol1
Lol the narrative last off season by so many on here was how bad he was and I constantly told people that he wasn’t as bad as they made him out to be along with the fact that coach Heup has truly developed a culture that will develop players on both sides of the ball if they have that will and determination… I can’t wait to watch Beasley ball out next year.
In all fairness, he has been up and down at times but improved every year. Last season he was solid or better in every game.

Spring is gonna separate the wheat from the chaff on this roster, especially in the secondary. I expect to see a number of dbs hit the portal after the dust settles from Spring ball.

Reactions: bigvol67
I love our additions. I think the secondary should be improved. I like our LBs more. We have the same DTs and SDE + additions. We are young at WDE but very talented (that may be the only drop off on D).

On offense I love our WRs and since Tillman didn’t play most of the year, I think they’ll be even if not better than last year. RBs are the same guys + additions so they should be better. Offensive line is mainly returning + great additions. TE may be the only drop off on offense.

It’s nice to be excited again
Already excited to see how the newcomers and 2nd year players look in spring because they are the ones that can help take this squad to the next level

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Spring is gonna separate the wheat from the chaff on this roster, especially in the secondary. I expect to see a number of dbs hit the portal after the dust settles from Spring ball.

This is so true and when you have played ball you know whose ahead of you and who you're behind. The coaches don't have to tell you. Then the players start looking at weighing playing time vs staying because their afraid of change or maybe leaving a GF but the portal has made this a little easier when you don't have to sit for a year. I would expect anywhere from 3 to 6 to depart after spring, from the entire roster. We will pick up a few this summer.

How come I don’t remember McNeil making a single play last season?
I wondered about that, too. When he wrote McNeil, did he mean to write Terry, or Bailey, or Garland, or Eason or Simmons? I hope it's time for McNeil to bust out, just hadn't been, thus far. We may well see even more of the dude from Arizona on the field alongside Thomas. And, I know he is young and will need time to gain good weight and muscle, but will be exciting to see Hobbs get in there at some point.

Reactions: butchna
The only time I noticed McNeil getting Defensive snaps in contested games was the Orange Bowl. He appeared (to this non expert) to hold up Ok, was in on at least one tackle.

I was curious why McNeil seemed to be getting Simmons’ or Kurrott Garland’s snaps in the Orange Bowl. Hopefully it means good news for McNeil more than frustration with Simmons or Garland. Like all of you, I keep looking for Simmons to start disrupting the middle of O Lines.

VN Store

Back