2022 Fall Practice #4

GregAmsler

I wonder who is working at KR and PR this year with Velus leaving. I know Wright has some experience at KR.

If they can trust a freshman back there, Squirrel makes sense at both of those spots. Sounds like he has the attributes to be a dynamic return man. Heupel described him as fearless already.

TennesseeTarheel

Sorry, but, this IS my day job.
Honestly, I think the biggest take away from this is the comment that balls thrown by Hooker and Milton rarely hit the ground. Under Pruitt, it was alarming how often the QB’s and receivers couldn’t connect in practice which then carried over to games.
It seemed every ball was always high, too. The receivers were always jumping to catch the ball - a rather vulnerable situation.

VFL1993

Is water wet?
Feel its gonna be Hadden and Charles at corner... Turnage at Star... Flowers and Tank at safety... Slaughter is undersized but can see him replacing Tank if he doesnt progress early
I think it’s going to be Hadden and Burrell at corner to start the season. I think the staff wants to give Burrell one last chance to prove that he is deserving of being a starting SEC corner.

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Never leave your feet while tackling (the way it was coached back when we could play full tackle ball)
Haha, yep. Put your face mask in his numbers, wrap him up with your arms, and drive, drive drive with those legs, take him all the way to the cleaners! (over on Jackson Street, i guess). lol.

Go Vols!

OrangeTsar

I wonder who is working at KR and PR this year with Velus leaving. I know Wright has some experience at KR.

If they can trust a freshman back there, Squirrel makes sense at both of those spots. Sounds like he has the attributes to be a dynamic return man. Heupel described him as fearless already.
Squirrel is going to be something special.

mtvols

Holiday, Flowers, Squirrel, D Williams, Sampson.

marcusluvsvols

Blue collar skoller
FYI. Kyler Kerbyson is going to a practice this week. He'll post his podcast on YT next Wednesday. Based on his practice observation videos from last year and this Spring, you'll get a TON of detail. Way more than the media folks. He'll do a solid breakdown of position groups, individual players, and practice as a whole.

EDIT: It's call Bleav in Tennessee Football on YT for those interested.

This is why I come to the FForum. To learn more about the team, and I am highly appreciative when another VOL posts new sources like this to share with others. Thank you. Kk is actually 1 of the dozen or so folks that i actually follow on Twitter. He has great info and is a cool dude.

Thanks for this bro. Wish there were lots more posts like this and fewer about things only tangentially related to UT football.

GO VOLS. H U Negavols.

Devo182

"Well Known Member" TWSS
I don’t think Pruitts problem was calling guys out. He pretty much took a steaming crap on the players in a post game interview one time. Said something along the lines of “there are 25 guys coming here next year that’ll take some spots.”
And yet many defended him like...HeS bUiLdInG cOmPeTiTiOn.

What a leader of men 😒😒

*Was also always a red flag that he couldnt develop players and just wanted an easy out by recruiting players

cobbwebb0710

Show me your noobs!
Two things stick out to me from today's practice:
1) Coach Ekler calling out Bryson Eason and making him work harder - seems like this coaching staff isn't afraid to break a few eggs to make a better omelet. Past staff seemed reluctant to do this as it might cause a guy to 'quit' or 'not feel loved' or what ever. Seems like every practice so far there are examples of guys getting called out but also those same guys getting praised when it goes right. I LOVE that culture of break it down and build it back the right way !!!

2) Absolutely LOVE the fact that the first day Dixon is here he gets some serious one on one time with the head man. I've become part of some really high performing teams on projects and the first few days I was added to the project was spent with the project lead. Why you ask - because that's how I learned what the expectation was the level of performance and output...one single voice from the guy leading out front. Can't say enough about Coach Heupel's approach with building a winning culture and high performing, accountable, team.
It doesn’t take long to figure out if someone is full of 💩 or sincere. These kids probably know that the coaches are on their side and trust them. I know for fact, that a very prominent member of this team said last year, “coach Heup is real, what you see is what you get and It’s easy to play hard for him!”
I think these kids will play hard for this staff and I think we are in for some treats in the coming years!
GBO!!

RockyTop140

And yet many defended him like...HeS bUiLdInG cOmPeTiTiOn.

What a leader of men 😒😒

*Was also always a red flag that he couldnt develop players and just wanted an easy out by recruiting players
It’s hard to blame anyone for trying to look at it optimistically. None of us wanted to go through another coaching debacle. But looking back at it, it was an obvious major red flag. Publicly tearing down your players instead of trying to motivate them and encourage them.

Vfl2407

I think it’s going to be Hadden and Burrell at corner to start the season. I think the staff wants to give Burrell one last chance to prove that he is deserving of being a starting SEC corner.
On Burrell, he’s one of my guys because he plays for my team. But to be perfectly honest, he scares the hell out of me whenever the ball is thrown near him.

LittleVol

Nothing better than good VOL Football
On Burrell, he’s one of my guys because he plays for my team. But to be perfectly honest, he scares the hell out of me whenever the ball is thrown near him.
that's why i like for players to have offensive experience if they're playing CB. Burrell would be stride for stride and then just not look for the ball. teams started to notice and it was an almost guaranteed completion.

And his run support in that Georgia game was the absolute most scared I have ever seen a CB play at the SEC level

GregAmsler

It’s hard to blame anyone for trying to look at it optimistically. None of us wanted to go through another coaching debacle. But looking back at it, it was an obvious major red flag. Publicly tearing down your players instead of trying to motivate them and encourage them.
All of this. I’m a Vol fan. I have tried to be optimistic about every coach until it became obvious it was going to work. But the optimism I have with this staff isn’t as “forced.” I was trying to make myself believe with Pruitt and Dooley. Butch gave me reason for optimism with his recruiting, but there were red flags with him too.

Heupel just feels like a fit. Comfortable in his own skin, steady, has a plan, and sincere in his feelings for the program and the kids. Oh, and a great tactical mind. That also helps.

GregAmsler

that's why i like for players to have offensive experience if they're playing CB. Burrell would be stride for stride and then just not look for the ball. teams started to notice and it was an almost guaranteed completion.

And his run support in that Georgia game was the absolute most scared I have ever seen a CB play at the SEC level
Burrell has all the physical tools. It’s mental with him. If he gets that side right, he could be very good. I’ve seen guys worse than him put it together to become very good players. I’ve seen guys like Guarantano never put it together. No guarantee either way. We’ll just have to see.

VN Store