2022 Fall Practice #4

VAVol85

Two things stick out to me from today's practice:
1) Coach Ekler calling out Bryson Eason and making him work harder - seems like this coaching staff isn't afraid to break a few eggs to make a better omelet. Past staff seemed reluctant to do this as it might cause a guy to 'quit' or 'not feel loved' or what ever. Seems like every practice so far there are examples of guys getting called out but also those same guys getting praised when it goes right. I LOVE that culture of break it down and build it back the right way !!!

2) Absolutely LOVE the fact that the first day Dixon is here he gets some serious one on one time with the head man. I've become part of some really high performing teams on projects and the first few days I was added to the project was spent with the project lead. Why you ask - because that's how I learned what the expectation was the level of performance and output...one single voice from the guy leading out front. Can't say enough about Coach Heupel's approach with building a winning culture and high performing, accountable, team.
I had the same thoughts regarding your 2nd point. I also like Heupel’s practice demeanor - he is very matter of fact, coaching with the expectation that if he says it will get done, no yelling and screaming required. Right approach for the head man IMO.

Vol in Buckeye Land

Two things stick out to me from today's practice:
1) Coach Ekler calling out Bryson Eason and making him work harder - seems like this coaching staff isn't afraid to break a few eggs to make a better omelet. Past staff seemed reluctant to do this as it might cause a guy to 'quit' or 'not feel loved' or what ever. Seems like every practice so far there are examples of guys getting called out but also those same guys getting praised when it goes right. I LOVE that culture of break it down and build it back the right way !!!

2) Absolutely LOVE the fact that the first day Dixon is here he gets some serious one on one time with the head man. I've become part of some really high performing teams on projects and the first few days I was added to the project was spent with the project lead. Why you ask - because that's how I learned what the expectation was the level of performance and output...one single voice from the guy leading out front. Can't say enough about Coach Heupel's approach with building a winning culture and high performing, accountable, team.
To your first point this coaching staff demonstrates their love and care for the players day in and day out, so they can be tough on them when necessary without it damaging the relationship.

PlanetVolunteer

Sounds like Bru might have a longer acclimation period than Dixon will. He will be fine by the time the season starts. Nobody knew about that hip injury and it's been since spring 2021 since he popped any pads. I know if I came back to work after a year and a half I'd be rusty.

cHiZzLeVOL

Who Knows?
I could be misremembering. I’ll have to go watch a few of his rushes.

Edit: yeah, going back, I just don’t see that burst that most successful SEC running backs have. If he has bulked up, maybe we could use him in short yardage situations.
Huh…. Wright was one of the fastest people on our team last year lol.

VolInDayton

Sounds like Bru might have a longer acclimation period than Dixon will. He will be fine by the time the season starts. Nobody knew about that hip injury and it's been since spring 2021 since he popped any pads. I know if I came back to work after a year and a half I'd be rusty.
Hopefully Bru can knock the rust off the first two weeks and having a coming out game week 3 so he's full go by Florida.

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
I don’t think Pruitts problem was calling guys out. He pretty much took a steaming crap on the players in a post game interview one time. Said something along the lines of “there are 25 guys coming here next year that’ll take some spots.”
I remember that. Also the infamous half time walking interview where he responded with "Going to take some more recruiting cycles.".
Pruitt's problem in this regard is he tore down but never developed and built guys back up to be players.

FYI. Kyler Kerbyson is going to a practice this week. He'll post his podcast on YT next Wednesday. Based on his practice observation videos from last year and this Spring, you'll get a TON of detail. Way more than the media folks. He'll do a solid breakdown of position groups, individual players, and practice as a whole.

EDIT: It's call Bleav in Tennessee Football on YT for those interested.

Last edited:

TNHopeful505

FYI. Kyler Kerbyson is going to a practice this week. He'll post his podcast on YT next Wednesday. Based on his practice observation videos from last year and this Spring, you'll get a TON of detail. Way more than the media folks. He'll do a solid breakdown of position groups, individual players, and practice as a whole.

EDIT: It's call Bleav in Tennessee Football on YT for those interested.
Bc Kyler is a former player, he can stay for the whole practice, not just the media portion. That's why he is able to give so much more detail and info. His podcasts have always been good.

VAVol85

I remember that. Also the infamous half time walking interview where he responded with "Going to take some more recruiting cycles.".
Pruitt's problem in this regard is he tore down but never developed and built guys back up to be players.
I remember laughing about that at the time. In retrospect, a coach that has to publicly embarrass his players to get their attention is a coach that is headed for failure.

VN Store