2022 CFP National Championship Game Thread: UGA -vs- Alabama

Yep and we wanted no part of a Florida rematch
Maybe. As we just watched, it’s very difficult to beat good teams twice and then you add in Spurrier to the equation. At the same time, Tee Martin was a better quarterback than when we played them in September. Let’s be honest Tee Martin wasn’t good. He threw for 60+ yards and got a prayer caught by Peerless Price for a Td. Al Wilson probably wouldn’t have forced 3 turnovers in a second game and Martin probably would’ve had better #s.

Maybe. As we just watched, it’s very difficult to beat good teams twice and then you add in Spurrier to the equation. At the same time, Tee Martin was a better quarterback than when we played them in September. Let’s be honest Tee Martin wasn’t good. He threw for 60+ yards and got a prayer caught by Peerless Price for a Td. Al Wilson probably wouldn’t have forced 3 turnovers in a second game and Martin probably would’ve had better #s.
They probably would have smoked us in a rematch. UF had, what, 4 turnovers in that game? And we managed to win by a FG in OT?

Every team that wins a title gets fortunate breaks, but we got some big ones that year. UF game, Stoerner fumble, got to play FSU with a backup QB in the title game. Of course we also played most of the season without our starting RB as well.

It's sour grapes because we don't have that kind of roster.

If it's not purely sour grapes, then it is as though people who use that argument don't see recruiting as much talent as possible to be part of a college football coach's job. It's like the players that you have are irrelevant, and if you are a "good coach" then you'll win titles regardless of the players on the team. When these guys say "I'm not impressed with Coach X because he always has the best players" I'm like "No s**t; isn't that the point?"

How many little engines that could win national titles? I mean, has it ever happened?

The only team team I can think of that didn’t win a National title with top 5, elite talent was 2002 Ohio State, which is probably the luckiest national champion of the last 25 years and still has a lot of NFL players on defense. And I guess the recruiting rankings would say 2016 Clemson as well.

Reactions: 05_never_again
They probably would have smoked us in a rematch. UF had, what, 4 turnovers in that game? And we managed to win by a FG in OT?

Every team that wins a title gets fortunate breaks, but we got some big ones that year. UF game, Stoerner fumble, got to play FSU with a backup QB in the title game. Of course we also played most of the season without our starting RB as well.
The ball definitely bounce the right way that season. Feels like we sold our soul and we haven’t gotten a bounce since then. 2016 in Athens being the exception.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The only team team I can think of that didn’t win a National title with top 5, elite talent was 2002 Ohio State, which is probably the luckiest national champion of the last 25 years and still has a lot of NFL players on defense. And I guess the recruiting rankings would say 2016 Clemson as well.
That first Clemson team does probably fall into that category but even them (especially these days) get elite talent, their classes are just relatively small so the overall ranking is low. Their current class is ranked 37th cause they only have 12 kids but 8 of them are 4-5*. One thing about Dabo’s classes and even those early ones is where the talent is concentrated; DL, QB and offensive skill positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again
Why? Is Kirby going to get multiple #1 recruiting classes out of this now?…
It may not be as significant as some of us might think it is right now, but you cannot convince me that Georgia finally winning a title has zero impact. And that the impact is something good for Tennessee.

2016 Clemson certainly didn't have the depth, but they did have premium talent at a variety of key positions, particularly QB and WR. He was just a true freshman that year, but Dexter Lawrence was the #2 player in the country and was one of their key defensive players.

How many national titles did Richt play for?

Kirby took UGA to another level.

The Coker comparison was absurd.

And your last sentence is entirely untrue, as it suggests even elite talent doesn’t require coaching or motivation.
Now Kirby has taken UGA to another level. Until that win last night he hadn’t. He finally just passed Richt in winning percentage this year and they were even in SEC titles. You can’t go by titles played for as there wasn’t a playoff system under Richt.

Bill O'Brien called a terrible game last night, Kirby owes this one to him.

I thought BoB did okay. It wasn't his best outing, but it certainly wasn't the abortion that was the Iron Bowl. Without Williams, UGA was able to take away everything Bama wanted to do. And even then we got some guys open and were victimized by drops.

If there's a coach that deserved to be slammed, it's Pete Golding. That second half defense was unacceptably bad.

Bill O'Brien called a terrible game last night, Kirby owes this one to him.
Alabama had no ability to take the top off the defense once Williams went down. That was a game-changer because they were already without Metchie.

He probably didn't run the ball quite enough, but I don't think Alabama was going to have much success running the ball anyway because of how fierce UGA's front seven is, plus they were able to stack the box routinely.

In a down year overall, against a depleted Bama squad, UGA manages to split the series. Unfortunately, the second game counts more, but it is what it is.

I'm eternally glad Tennessee was undefeated for the NC, let alone splitting the series with FSU. That would suck, especially when uga got their butts-mehre handed to them the first time around.

Doesn't change anything for me. Zero respect. Zero GAF. Trash program, and now add gloating to the list of things that whiny, passive aggressive fanbase does.

You are forgetting out 1999/2000 Tennessee team. We were absolutely loaded with future NFL talent.

I thought BoB did okay. It wasn't his best outing, but it certainly wasn't the abortion that was the Iron Bowl. Without Williams, UGA was able to take away everything Bama wanted to do. And even then we got some guys open and were victimized by drops.

If there's a coach that deserved to be slammed, it's Pete Golding. That second half defense was unacceptably bad.

BoB left Young in the pocket standing like a statue all night. When they did get the running game going a little bit he should have ran some play action roll outs or bootlegs to buy Yoing some time.

VN Store

Back