2022 CFP National Championship Game Thread: UGA -vs- Alabama

Alabama had no ability to take the top off the defense once Williams went down. That was a game-changer because they were already without Metchie.

He probably didn't run the ball quite enough, but I don't think Alabama was going to have much success running the ball anyway because of how fierce UGA's front seven is, plus they were able to stack the box routinely.

That’s why he should have moved Young out of the pocket, put some pressure on the linebackers. Plus we all know ToToo can’t cover anyone.

BoB left Young in the pocket standing like a statue all night. When they did get the running game going a little bit he should have ran some play action roll outs or bootlegs to buy Yoing some time.

They ran some bootlegs early on and Young got his head taken off. I think they reverted to staying in the pocket out of necessity. The injuries on the o-line reared their heads last night.

Reactions: 05_never_again
It may not be as significant as some of us might think it is right now, but you cannot convince me that Georgia finally winning a title has zero impact. And that the impact is something good for Tennessee.
No it’s not good for us but I don’t think it boosts their talent much more, if any, than it already is. IMO it was going to take several years of missing the playoffs consecutively and/or failing to make ATL before his recruiting started to fall off. Even with Richt’s shortcomings he consistently pulled classes ranked 5-12; Kirby vastly exceeded that without a title because he’s a better recruiter, hungrier or pays better. This maintains them for sure so it’s harder for us to climb out of but winning vs. losing to the title game was irrelevant, again IMO, because he can still sell kids on making it there. He’s had 4 chances in 6 years to wind up in the final 4 so it’s enough yo keep kids coming. He starts going 9-3 or even 10-2 for 3-4 years and misses ATL, it means he has no shot at the playoffs and maybe kids back up.

Talent can cover coaching deficiencies and coaching can cover talent deficiencies.

Saban generally has both sides on lock. I really believe what we saw last night was a depleted Bama team not able to make it to the finish line. With equal talent on the field I believe Bama wins that game every time. It’s hard to do missing your top two receivers and corners. GA had just enough to pull away at the end as long as it didn’t get away from them early.

I think Kirby is probably an above average coach with ridiculous talent at his disposal. Getting that talent is part of it, sure, but put equal talent on the field and Saban would own him. In fact, he actually has.

No it’s not good for us but I don’t think it boosts their talent much more, if any, than it already is. IMO it was going to take several years of missing the playoffs consecutively and/or failing to make ATL before his recruiting started to fall off. Even with Richt’s shortcomings he consistently pulled classes ranked 5-12; Kirby vastly exceeded that without a title because he’s a better recruiter, hungrier or pays better. This maintains them for sure so it’s harder for us to climb out of but winning vs. losing to the title game was irrelevant, again IMO, because he can still sell kids on making it there. He’s had 4 chances in 6 years to wind up in the final 4 so it’s enough yo keep kids coming. He starts going 9-3 or even 10-2 for 3-4 years and misses ATL, it means he has no shot at the playoffs and maybe kids back up.
I understand what you’re saying and I do agree to an extent. I think the part I bolded we see differently on. I think it was imperative for UGA and Kirby to get over the hump this time around. They had to finally climb that mountain or else I think the narrative would really start to take hold that UGA will never beat Bama and you’re wasting your offensive talents going there because that’s where 5 star QB’s go to transfer or become game managers and you’ll never be able to showcase your skills like you can at School X. At least that’s the way I’d negative recruit QB’s and Wr’s who were looking at UGA. Elite Running backs will always go to UGA.

Reactions: 05_never_again
You are forgetting out 1999/2000 Tennessee team. We were absolutely loaded with future NFL talent.

I don’t think you know what I was referencing. I was saying it’s damn near impossible to not win a National title if you don’t have elite talent.

I need you guys to tell me who is a good college football coach. Kirby isn’t good. Jimbo isn’t good. Harbaugh is overrated. Dabo is getting exposed. I guess Saban is the only good head college football coach.

I need you guys to tell me who is a good college football coach. Kirby isn’t good. Jimbo isn’t good. Harbaugh is overrated. Dabo is getting exposed. I guess Saban is the only good head college football coach.
According to many on VN, it's a guy who takes bums off the street and wins the national title every single year.

You said it yourself - Saban isn't good because he always has the best players. Kirby and Jimbo aren't good because they should have more titles than they do, and Jimbo only won his because he had Crab Legs. Harbaugh isn't good because he has only beaten Ohio St once and got blown out in his only CFP appearance. Dabo isn't good because he had a 9-win regular season.

According to many on VN, it's a guy who takes bums off the street and wins the national title every single year.

You said it yourself - Saban isn't good because he always has the best players. Kirby and Jimbo aren't good because they should have more titles than they do, and Jimbo only won his because he had Crab Legs. Harbaugh isn't good because he has only beaten Ohio St once and got blown out in his only CFP appearance. Dabo isn't good because he had a 9-win regular season.

Post of the day 😁

This very week I learned elite football players don’t require coaching or motivation.
Nope. It's easy. Just cheat and pay all the top rated players on 247 to get them to come to your school. Once they are there, just draw the plays you want them to run on the whiteboard, and since they're so much better than the other team's players you'll win almost every game. That's what Saban does.

Nope. It's easy. Just cheat and pay all the top rated players on 247 to get them to come to your school. Once they are there, just draw the plays you want them to run on the whiteboard, and since they're so much better than the other team's players you'll win almost every game. That's what Saban does.

Science.

Somebody said that "recruiting is like shaving, you don't do it every day you look like a bum". The teams that recruit the hardest will land the best talent. That said, with NIL, it will become less about playing for a Natty and more about $$$. The ring is not the biggest prize anymore, not for everybody, and certainly not for the elite player. If it were, why is the transfer portal filling up with players leaving championship teams? Drew Sanders is leaving BAMA to go back home and play for Texas. I have no idea why he is transferring, but I doubt Texas will be playing for a championship anytime soon. He would likely have gotten significant playing time at BAMA next year and would start OLB at any team he chooses. Kids want playing time to have a better shot at making it to the League. Those two teams that played Monday night will both have players who leave remaining years of eligibility to pursue their fortunes in the NFL. Championships mean way more to the fans than to the players.

Somebody said that "recruiting is like shaving, you don't do it every day you look like a bum". The teams that recruit the hardest will land the best talent. That said, with NIL, it will become less about playing for a Natty and more about $$$. The ring is not the biggest prize anymore, not for everybody, and certainly not for the elite player. If it were, why is the transfer portal filling up with players leaving championship teams? Drew Sanders is leaving BAMA to go back home and play for Texas. I have no idea why he is transferring, but I doubt Texas will be playing for a championship anytime soon. He would likely have gotten significant playing time at BAMA next year and would start OLB at any team he chooses. Kids want playing time to have a better shot at making it to the League. Those two teams that played Monday night will both have players who leave remaining years of eligibility to pursue their fortunes in the NFL. Championships mean way more to the fans than to the players.
Sanders is a hell of a lb. He just happened to get hurt and lose the job to Dallas turner. Wish he would give us a look. He's a ball hawk and a sure tackler. That's the problem you run into when you have a loaded roster. Kid will start anywhere he goes.

Sure let’s call someone with a loaded roster a good football coach.

A lot more can be said for a person that has to get the most out of his players than one that can say just go do your part. Plugging guys in rather than having to figure out who works best where.

So Saban is even worse at coaching than Smart.

VN Store

Back