2021 Regional Championship Official Thread - post game

Some reflection on this past weekend:

1) Gilbert's walk off salami may go down as one of the most important moments in all of UT sports history, especially if we win the natty this seaon. For without it, we would have been in the loser bracket and would have been unlikely we emerge as the winner, and our season would have been over. The narrative would have been CHOKERS. It was HUGE. Not just dramatic, as it was, but HUGE in a historic way for the baseball program and UT sports in general.

2) I was more than a little annoyed with announcers and sportswriters with their narratives about how we have been a historic loser to Wright State and Liberty. We sure flipped those narratives, didn't we? Wright State will have to deal with what happened the entire off-season. It will be bitter, I'm guessing. And Liberty, as good as they were - and they were good - knows they are the lesser program now.

3) We need to get our right handed power hitters going for the super. Lefty pitchers were working our lefty hitters pretty good (some very good pitching against us in our regional) and we got little from our right handers against those lefties (Liam excluded).

4) We didn't play our best defense in this tournament, but we won it anyway.

5) Our pitching was sensational, holding Liberty to 4 runs in two games, the same team that put a couple of dozen on Duke over two games.

5) We are set up beautifully for the Super, at home, and confident as hell. Win just two games and we're in Omaha!! I can't wait!!!

I’m discovering on Twitter that Razorback fans are struggling with the fact that Tennessee has already advanced and they still have to play an elimination game today.
It’s marvelous 😀

Do you know if that game is to be on TV or the watchespn channel? Asking for a friend.

Whoa Campbell with 3 in the bottom of the 1st, guess they are happy with the participation trophy

South Alabama beats South Florida 4-0 so they get to play another one to see who plays Texas in SR

Reactions: vol66
South Alabama beats South Florida 4-0 so they get to play another one to see who plays Texas in SR
I’m rooting for South Florida in this regional. I attended USF for a while in the early 70’s before transferring back to UT. Interesting fact: the first athletic director at USF was Dick Bowers (1966-1982), a former UT basketball player.

I’m rooting for South Florida in this regional. I attended USF for a while in the early 70’s before transferring back to UT. Interesting fact: the first athletic director at USF was Dick Bowers (1966-1982), a former UT basketball player.
Cool did not know that...guess I'd have to pull USA...my FIL went to college there, and they are the closest D1 program to our adopted home town down here

How the CWS is shaping up:

Bracket 1:
Arkansas/Nebraska - NC State winner vs Texas Tech - Stanford/UC Irvine winner

Vandy - East Carolina winner vs Arizona - Ole Miss winner

Bracket 2:
Texas - USF winner vs Miss St - Notre Dame winner

Vols - Oregon/LSU winner vs DBU/Oregon St - ODU/Virginia winner

Last edited:
Why in earth did the Campbell coach have a guy bunt with two strikes, 2nd and 3rd no outs, but doesn't bunt the dude on 2nd over to third with no outs.

Result: doesn't score on the second out hit to second base. Loss.

Idiot.

On another note, how lucky did Texas get? Good lord. Their super regional game will be against either USF or South Alabama. I know upsets happen but that seems like a cakewalk straight to Omaha.

Reactions: ArdentVol
On another note, how lucky did Texas get? Good lord. Their super regional game will be against either USF or South Alabama. I know upsets happen but that seems like a cakewalk straight to Omaha.

Watching that one now.

Reactions: vol94
Oregon/LSU is a coin flip as far as who I want to play. We aren't familiar with Oregon and vice versa. LSU is familiar with us and vice versa. I'm not sure which option benefits us the most. BTW, we swept LSU back in late March in 3 close games with one going to extra innings. Can we beat them 5 out of 6 in the same season? We may know soon enough.

VN Store

Back