2021 NFL Offseason Thread

OK, nevermind. This contract is stupid. It's not frontloaded.

"An early look at the financial implications of this deal suggests the Cowboys did a good job dividing that pie. Despite the fact that Prescott will get $75 million this year, his cap hit for this season will be just $22 million (accounting is black magic). "

Three Takeaways From the Cowboys’ Protracted Dak Prescott Contract Saga

QBs will have the leverage when it comes to contracts. They are just too valuable in today's NFL. Nobody wants to be stuck in the wasteland trying to find a good qb. The market isn't plentiful.

I'm sure Dak's agent is referencing his 2019 numbers where he was 2nd in yards and 4th in tds. Putting up numbers that rival the highest paid qbs. And last year he was on a crazy pace before his ankle injury. I think Dallas was the #1 or #2 offense in the NFL before his injury. When Dalton took over there was a noticeable dropoff.

QBs will have the leverage when it comes to contracts. They are just too valuable in today's NFL. Nobody wants to be stuck in the wasteland trying to find a good qb. The market isn't plentiful.

I'm sure Dak's agent is referencing his 2019 numbers where he was 2nd in yards and 4th in tds. Putting up numbers that rival the highest paid qbs. And last year he was on a crazy pace before his ankle injury. I think Dallas was the #1 or #2 offense in the NFL before his injury. When Dalton took over there was a noticeable dropoff.

It's not that Dak and other great QB's aren't worth the $, it's the salary cap constraints that are the problem. No QB has won a Super Bowl making $30m and now we have guys making $40m.

158782161_4196169843763005_5313098577964071895_o.jpg

It's not that Dak and other great QB's aren't worth the $, it's the salary cap constraints that are the problem. No QB has won a Super Bowl making $30m and now we have guys making $40m.
Yea. The rule changes and ref flagging tendencies have made having a good qb almost required for a super bowl chance. The chances of winning with a game manager are almost impossible.

The ideal scenario either seems to be find a qb that is willing to take a reasonable contract like a Brady or Manning, or have a younger qb that performs well on his cheaper contract before he gets paid. Like Wilson or Mahomes did.

For Dallas it was likely pay him too much to secure him, or franchise him this year and start over with a new qb next year. And the chances of drafting a great qb are slim. I think Dallas offered in the 33-35 million range last year or year before and Dak turned them down. They were both playing the game seeing who would come out with the leverage. Dak showed out in 2019 and was doing so last year before he was hurt. They probably figure it would be easier to draft/free agency for defense and keep their qb than to start over. Had they franchised him, I think the cap hit this year would have been 38 million? instead of the 22 mil it is now.

I'm sure the Cowboys are counting on the cap going back up in the next year or two. And going back to the 4-3 with Dan Quinn should help the defense compared to Nolan switching them from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in his one year.

Last edited:
Yea. The rule changes and ref flagging tendencies have made having a good qb almost required for a super bowl chance. The chances of winning with a game manager are almost impossible.

The ideal scenario either seems to be find a qb that is willing to take a reasonable contract like a Brady or Manning, or have a younger qb that performs well on his cheaper contract before he gets paid. Like Wilson or Mahomes did.

For Dallas it was likely pay him too much to secure him, or franchise him this year and start over with a new qb next year. And the chances of drafting a great qb are slim. I think Dallas offered in the 33-35 million range last year or year before and Dak turned them down. They were both playing the game seeing who would come out with the leverage. Dak showed out in 2019 and was doing so last year before he was hurt. They probably figure it would be easier to draft/free agency for defense and keep their qb than to start over. Had they franchised him, I think the cap hit this year would have been 38 million? instead of the 22 mil it is now.

I'm sure the Cowboys are counting on the cap going back up in the next year or two. And going back to the 4-3 with Dan Quinn should help the defense compared to Nolan switching them from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in his one year.

Yeah, they are paying to be relevant but they aren't at all likely to win a Super Bowl. Dak was incredible last year and they were still losing. I don't think you have to have a good QB to win a SB. Nick Foles and old man Peyton did it, and Goff and Jimmy G made the SB. That's 4 so-so QB's in the last 6 years. The rest of the roster matters so much and you dip into that when your QB is making 15%+ of the salary cap.

Yeah, they are paying to be relevant but they aren't at all likely to win a Super Bowl. Dak was incredible last year and they were still losing. I don't think you have to have a good QB to win a SB. Nick Foles and old man Peyton did it, and Goff and Jimmy G made the SB. That's 4 so-so QB's in the last 6 years. The rest of the roster matters so much and you dip into that when your QB is making 15%+ of the salary cap.
16 out of the last 18 Super Bowl winners have been quarterbacked by legit franchise QBs in their prime. Foles never quarterbacked a PLAYOFF team from beginning to end. Odds are heavily against what you’re preaching. Franchise QBs tip the scales.

Reactions: NashVol11
16 out of the last 18 Super Bowl winners have been quarterbacked by legit franchise QBs in their prime. Foles never quarterbacked a PLAYOFF team from beginning to end. Odds are heavily against what you’re preaching. Franchise QBs tip the scales.
Foles and Flacco? Yea, when a team thinks they have a franchise qb they pay them. Those guys don’t bounce around. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Mahomes, Wilson, both Mannings.

We agree but I was trying to find today how much the franchise qbs in the past 15 years were making as a percentage of the team cap. Huff does have a valid concern. At what point does paying the franchise qb hurt as much or more than it helps? I’m not sure how much it would play in a negotiation, but Dak isn’t just being the 1st or 2nd highest paid qb in the NFL. He signed a new contract giving him that much money the same year the cap is significantly dropping. 198 million last year I think to 182.5 I think it was announced today. On one side Dak says look at what Mahomes and Watson got. Does Dallas factor in they got those numbers when there was a higher cap and more money to work with? If I was in a negotiation it’s seem like something to weigh IMO.

This year his cap hit isn’t significant. 22 million. I think it goes up to mid 30 something in 2022 and mid 40s the next two years. I’m sure Jerry is expecting the cap to be back at or near 200 mil by then when It won’t be as much of a percentage.

Last edited:
Foles and Flacco? Yea, when a team thinks they have a franchise qb they pay them. Those guys don’t bounce around. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Mahomes, Wilson, both Mannings.

We agree but I was trying to find today how much the franchise qbs in the past 15 years were making as a percentage of the team cap. Huff does have a valid concern. At what point does paying the franchise qb hurt as much or more than it helps? I’m not sure how much it would play in a negotiation, but Dak isn’t just being the 1st or 2nd highest paid qb in the NFL. He signed a new contract giving him that much money the same year the cap is significantly dropping. 198 million last year I think to 182.5 I think it was announced today. On one side Dak says look at what Mahomes and Watson got. Does Dallas factor in they got those numbers when there was a higher cap and more money to work with? If I was in a negotiation it’s seem like something to weigh IMO.

This year his cap hit isn’t significant. 22 million. I think it goes up to mid 30 something in 2022 and mid 40s the next two years. I’m sure Jerry is expecting the cap to be back at or near 200 mil by then when It won’t be as much of a percentage.
Dak is getting 22 mil this year.

The Eagles @BearCat204 are paying Wentz $34 mil to play for the Colts

Foles and Flacco?

We agree but I was trying to find today how much the franchise qbs in the past 15 years were making as a percentage of the team cap. I’m not sure how much it would play in a negotiation, but Dak isn’t just being the 1st or 2nd highest paid qb in the NFL. He signed a new contract giving him that much money the same year the cap is significantly dropping. 198 million last year I think to 182.5 I think it was announced today. On one side Dak says look at what Mahomes and Watson got. Does Dallas factor in they got those numbers when there was a higher cap and more money to work with? If I was in a negotiation it’s seem like something to weigh IMO.

Only a select few QB's* have won earning 12%+ of the team's cap. $45m is over 20% of $230m, so it's a lot even if the cap goes up. A guy as good as Rodgers has't sniffed the SB since getting paid.

*I think the list is just Favre, Peyton x 2, Eli, Big Ben, and Brady x a few.

It’s a brand new game...market wise. No one builds a stellar Bears or Ravens SB winning defense anymore. If you’re solid in that area? You’re on the clock. And if you’re lucky/savvy enough to draft your franchise QB, you have precious little turnaround time. Both Seattle and Dallas found theirs in the 4th round and both had 3 seasons to identify and enjoy. If you get to that point of franchising them, you’ve already alienated them and made the re-signing more difficult. If you plunge early like Philly with Wentz, you also may regret it if they regress. It’s better to have your guy AND draft picks than building your team and then having to auction it off to get the final piece.

Only a select few QB's* have won earning 12%+ of the team's cap. $45m is over 20% of $230m, so it's a lot even if the cap goes up. A guy as good as Rodgers has't sniffed the SB since getting paid.

*I think the list is just Favre, Peyton x 2, Eli, Big Ben, and Brady x a few.
Brady skews that list...keeps winning. Mahomes will do the same. Fact is the top QBs get the top QBs and your math trick is already obsolete.

If I knew then what I know now, I’d start preparing to be a QB at age 7. The amount of money they make is insane.

It’s a brand new game...market wise. No one builds a stellar Bears or Ravens SB winning defense anymore. If you’re solid in that area? You’re on the clock. And if you’re lucky/savvy enough to draft your franchise QB, you have precious little turnaround time. Both Seattle and Dallas found theirs in the 4th round and both had 3 seasons to identify and enjoy. If you get to that point of franchising them, you’ve already alienated them and made the re-signing more difficult. If you plunge early like Philly with Wentz, you also may regret it if they regress. It’s better to have your guy AND draft picks than building your team and then having to auction it off to get the final piece.
I’m not sure what Dallas could have done different. I don’t think they were trying to be cheap initially. I won’t pretend to be an expert on NFL contracts but they’d offered him 33 million a year and 105 guaranteed in 2019 before the season began. Top 5 qb money when Dak wasn’t putting up top 5 numbers. You’ll probably find posts from me back then saying that’s too much but Dallas will likely pay whatever to sign him. It was upped to 35 mil and 110 guaranteed last April. And still Dak turned it down. He was wanting close to 40 million a year back in 2019 I think.

Dak took a risk playing that game. But he won. There was still some questions about him going into his 3rd season. His 2nd season was almost a regression. And the first few games of 2018 weren’t looking different. Then Jerry traded for Amari Cooper 6 games into 2018 I think? Said he wanted to have a true #1 wr we haven’t had in years. Dak had a much better 2nd half 2018. But still not top 5 numbers overall.

I’m not sure what Dallas could have done different. I don’t think they were trying to be cheap initially. I won’t pretend to be an expert on NFL contracts but they’d offered him 33 million a year and 105 guaranteed in 2019 before the season began. Top 5 qb money when Dak wasn’t putting up top 5 numbers. You’ll probably find posts from me back then saying that’s too much but Dallas will likely pay whatever to sign him. It was upped to 35 mil and 110 guaranteed last April. And still Dak turned it down. He was wanting close to 40 million a year back in 2019 I think.

Dak took a risk playing that game. But he won. There was still some questions about him going into his 3rd season. His 2nd season was almost a regression. And the first few games of 2018 weren’t looking different. Then Jerry traded for Amari Cooper 6 games into 2018 I think? Said he wanted to have a true #1 wr we haven’t had in years. Dak had a much better 2nd half 2018. But still not top 5 numbers overall.

Front load the contract and use this year to rebuild

Reactions: NashVol11

Bet on himself and won...even when he got hurt. Nothing reinforces the importance of having a franchise QB more than not having one.

VN Store

Back