2021 NFL Draft Thread

Hated to see the player from Wisconsin-Whitewater go before Trey.....But he got a real good eval at the Senior Bowl.

Most all evals he received last year was to come back due to his health concerns and limited time he was able to practice.....That wasn't a issue this past season. Trey's health is fine right now and was throughout the season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't know how to address the Trey Smith situation correctly. I love and appreciate his courage and his desire to play football in the NFL but he has cited Okung and Andrews, who have faced similar issues, and within a couple of years of their diagnosis/events, both may have played their last down in the NFL.

It's dangerous just to have a history of pulmonary emboli. Long-term survival chances, even with the best treatment and conditions, are diminished.

It's incredibly stressful, bruising, and brutal to be a lineman in the NFL. Week in/week out physical challenges, pain, and just the danger of a finger dislocation..... an extra hard helmet to the chest..... a rolled ankle.....

All of those could foster a new and deadly pulmonary emboli, even with anticoagulants.

The danger is real. I understand that Trey is willing to take the chance but I also understand that an NFL team doesn't want to risk having a player collapse and later die....... from a previously known condition.

This is why Chris Bosh was forced into retirement by the NBA. Lots of intense physical contact and a history of blood clots is a death waiting to happen.

Reactions: Alto1
So I did a rough math estimate and near 25 percent of Alabama’s starters got drafted in the first round. That means nearly 1/4 of the guys on that team could start for an NFL team day 1.

College football has to do more to level out the playing field.

if Trey didn’t come back last year, was he going in the first round?
Doubtful. His health was the big question. Teams were going to want to see at least a full year of play. Unfortunately his last year he played for Pruitt and a 3-7 team.
I know some are talking about the Titans pick and the guy having surgeries but it's 2021 those surgeries aren't a career ender like years ago. He also had crazy speed even if he lost half a step he would be faster than most. Guess they figured high risk but super high reward. Blood clots will always be a you never know and Trey really didn't get to shine his last year.
I think some one will pick him up as a UDFA and he'll probably make a practice squad at least, not top NFL money but if a team like TN picked him up, low risk with possible high reward, cost of living is cheaper here than lets say a Cali team, he could save money for a few years and then get a job in the sports world and still live a good life.
I wish him the best going forward.

So I did a rough math estimate and near 25 percent of Alabama’s starters got drafted in the first round. That means nearly 1/4 of the guys on that team could start for an NFL team day 1.

College football has to do more to level out the playing field.
That won’t happen till King Saban retires

Dang, how deep was UCF? I had no idea we were this far behind UCF in talent. I knew they were a better football program but I still thought we had more talent.

OG from Ole miss just taken. They must be scared to death of Trey's health issues?

I think I heard them say he was a backup for 2 seasons then started 12 games.

Last edited:
Dang, how deep was UCF? I had no idea we were this far behind UCF in talent. I knew they were a better football program but I still thought we had more talent.
Yep...I was reading a couple weeks ago UCF might have 4 players drafted.....And they had 11 players opt out last season and some were starters.

I understand the hesitation to take a guy with blood clot issues, but it is my understanding that the Tennessee medical staff cleared him? I figured he might fall a bit because of the uncertainty, but to fall this far is wild. Feel real bad for him.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
I understand the hesitation to take a guy with blood clot issues, but it is my understanding that the Tennessee medical staff cleared him? I figured he might fall a bit because of the uncertainty, but to fall this far is wild. Feel real bad for him.
Coaching staff failed getting him ready for the next level..still hoping he at least makes a practice squad some where

His play has gone downhill. Couple that with the health issues, and the drop is not a shock. He'll get a chance to prove himself, but he'll have to earn his first big payday.

VN Store

Back