2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

There are plenty of other fans besides me opining Kellie will try to upgrade at point guard from the portal - including yourself. Not that I'm calling you a liar.

If she does keep the status quo for next season, the results on the court will speak for themselves. I can already see a repeat of this season with the same tired excuses from the same fans (including you) about how unfair it was to expect Kellie to find a point guard...
Looks like you will get your chance as looks like were going with what we have. I hope your wrong, but can see you having a good chance being right on the point guard position. We have some options whether they will be effective options is certainly 50/50. I think the coaches are really looking to the progression of Horston as a junior so either she will make the grade or one of the others Walker or Miles will be enough to get the job done there. I think we can be better not great. I will gladly say you were right if they fail. Up to you to say you were wrong if they succeed. What I deem success for Horston would be 15 ppg and 6 assist a game while shooting 45 percent. The big problem last season was everyone that played there shot in the 30's that can't happen again. The position did not do badly from an assist to turnover ratio, but you must have more effective scoring and certainly better shooting at that position. If we could get 20 ppg and 9 assist and 45 percent shooting plus 75 percent from the line from all three and no more than 5 turnover from all three a game. I would consider that success.

There are plenty of other fans besides me opining Kellie will try to upgrade at point guard from the portal - including yourself. Not that I'm calling you a liar.

If she does keep the status quo for next season, the results on the court will speak for themselves. I can already see a repeat of this season with the same tired excuses from the same fans (including you) about how unfair it was to expect Kellie to find a point guard...

The results will speak for themselves regardless of what you say. You can't see squat because your head is in a place that apparently restricts vision. That is the nicest way I can think of putting it.

Last edited:
Let me join in....I come in peace.

Walker always gives the maximum effort....Her injured leg was a detriment to her abilities this past season....If it heals properly, she could be very good back at pg.

Horston plays excellent defense, but outside of driving to the rim, her outside shooting has been less than spectacular...Will she improve, is anyone's guess.

The film I saw on Miles showed her outside shooting to be much improved....I hope it was not an illusion....Her foot speed will be a big asset...

The success of CT, SC, and the other current big dogs of women's college basketball, is among other things, they seem to always have excellent pg play.

Now that we have the 2 new assistants, to help Coach Kellie, in her search for basketball excellence, I anticipate the class of 2022 to have an excellent pg possibility among the new recruits...
basketball-player-positions.jpg

So, just to be clear, a PG would be good to sign, I just disagree that if she does not sign one this year, she will have failed.

This fall, she will have 3 PG's. She has 5 brand new (to the LV's) players to integrate and she plays the reserves a lot early in the season. I don't see the minutes for a 6th new player. Regardless, agree or not, Walker can hold down her position quite well. She can execute the offense and score as needed. She will be better as will all her teammates at playing individually and as a team.

What I deem success for Horston would be 15 ppg and 6 assist a game while shooting 45 percent. The big problem last season was everyone that played there shot in the 30's that can't happen again. The position did not do badly from an assist to turnover ratio, but you must have more effective scoring and certainly better shooting at that position. If we could get 20 ppg and 9 assist and 45 percent shooting plus 75 percent from the line from all three and no more than 5 turnover from all three a game. I would consider that success.
Lol is that all it would take? Hell I'd consider those stats a minor miracle, not just a success. That's a big ole upgrade over any stats those players have so far produced. Right now both have loose handles and neither can shoot. That's a deadly combination. Both definitely might/should improve. Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

We actually don't know if KJH is putting all eggs in the current pg basket by choice or bc she fished in the portal and no top notch established pg took the bait. And likely we'll never know. Of course if she doesn't get anyone she'll 100% say she was being loyal and having confidence in the ability of the current players to improve to the above dream stats. And they may, hell I pray they do. If not, its going to be a long, sad season.

The one thing I'm pretty sure didn't happen is that KJH was "too dumb" to recognize the need for a pg. That's a stretch and a cheap shot, and dumb itself. She may have made a risky gamble to invest in the current players, but there's a chance it works and even if not, I;d say it was more bad coaching judgement than dumbassery. If it works, its a display of loyalty to her players that should help her a ton,

IMO, the most likely scenario is the worst - that she recognized the need, she tried to get the Jordan Lewis type transfers and they said no thanks. If KJH is dumb, she can get smarter or move on. But if the Lady Vols are just not an attractive destination its probably not going to get any more desirable anytime soon. Especially with the SEC getting so pumped up right now. Way harder to fix.

Lol is that all it would take? Hell I'd consider those stats a minor miracle, not just a success. That's a big ole upgrade over any stats those players have so far produced. Right now both have loose handles and neither can shoot. That's a deadly combination. Both definitely might/should improve. Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

We actually don't know if KJH is putting all eggs in the current pg basket by choice or bc she fished in the portal and no top notch established pg took the bait. And likely we'll never know. Of course if she doesn't get anyone she'll 100% say she was being loyal and having confidence in the ability of the current players to improve to the above dream stats. And they may, hell I pray they do. If not, its going to be a long, sad season.

The one thing I'm pretty sure didn't happen is that KJH was "too dumb" to recognize the need for a pg. That's a stretch and a cheap shot, and dumb itself. She may have made a risky gamble to invest in the current players, but there's a chance it works and even if not, I;d say it was more bad coaching judgement than dumbassery. If it works, its a display of loyalty to her players that should help her a ton,

IMO, the most likely scenario is the worst - that she recognized the need, she tried to get the Jordan Lewis type transfers and they said no thanks. If KJH is dumb, she can get smarter or move on. But if the Lady Vols are just not an attractive destination its probably not going to get any more desirable anytime soon. Especially with the SEC getting so pumped up right now. Way harder to fix.

Looking at last year's stats, the LVs only had two players averaging over 15 ppg (Davis and Burrell)' Jordan H. averaged 8.6 with 4 assist pg. Getting to an average of 6 assist pg seems doable. Her scoring will need to increase to help compensate for Davis's absence (though maybe 12 ppg is more reasonable).

Personally, I don't think PG is the biggest problem area. Sure, we need better play at that position but it is easier to look good at PG when a team has consistent outside shooting. One pass, 3pts and an assist versus forcing the ball into a crowded post area and hoping for the best. Teams can't get to an elite level without being able to spread the floor with their outside shooters.

There are situations where a PG is essential to a team, such as breaking a press or taking control of the game when things are getting too helter skelter (something that was a problem last season in a few melt down games). But in this era of point forward and post players who shoot 3s and distribute the ball from the top of the key and so on, we have to recognize that many of the traditional PG responsibilities are now diffused across different positions.

Let me join in....I come in peace.

Walker always gives the maximum effort....Her injured leg was a detriment to her abilities this past season....If it heals properly, she could be very good back at pg.

Horston plays excellent defense, but outside of driving to the rim, her outside shooting has been less than spectacular...Will she improve, is anyone's guess.

The film I saw on Miles showed her outside shooting to be much improved....I hope it was not an illusion....Her foot speed will be a big asset...

The success of CT, SC, and the other current big dogs of women's college basketball, is among other things, they seem to always have excellent pg play.

Now that we have the 2 new assistants, to help Coach Kellie, in her search for basketball excellence, I anticipate the class of 2022 to have an excellent pg possibility among the new recruits...
basketball-player-positions.jpg
https://www.thellabb.com/wp-

The major problem last season at the point guard position was shooting percentage. They as a duo 161 assists and 116 turnovers so in 25 games that was 6.3 assists and 4.7 turnovers so it wouldn't be a great stretch that they could improve to nine and are already at the turnovers limit. Free throw shooting 55 of 87 Walker pulled it down a lot with 59 percent she has to get a lot better. Horston was at 73 that is fine. The trouble comes in shooting percentage 131 of 379 this is it. That is 34.7 percent. That is the huge part of their game that is unacceptable and is far worse than their 4.7 turnovers. If your going to take 379 shot attempts which is 15 a game you can't be making just 5. You either work more towards assisting other shooters or you become better shooters. You can't put that many shots up and the results be 34.7 percent made. So the plan has to be to become better shooters or we'll again have problems because almost every SEC team gets fat better shooting efficiency from that position.

I agree...The wing was not represented in picture, but I had UPS at the door and had to go......I'm a big fan of the double wing attack, and when Justine gets here, the triple wing attack....

The only way the LVs will ever have a chance, competing against fully stacked teams like SC, and soon LSU, plus CT, is to be able to bomb away "successfully" from 3 point land.

I know 3 of our incoming freshmen are big shooters, and Miles will have to be an offensive instigator, to either score or kick it out to the big guns...

The LVs are flying under the radar now, but I'm 100,000% sure our girls are going to make us all proud...

The major problem last season at the point guard position was shooting percentage. They as a duo 161 assists and 116 turnovers so in 25 games that was 6.3 assists and 4.7 turnovers so it wouldn't be a great stretch that they could improve to nine and are already at the turnovers limit. Free throw shooting 55 of 87 Walker pulled it down a lot with 59 percent she has to get a lot better. Horston was at 73 that is fine. The trouble comes in shooting percentage 131 of 379 this is it. That is 34.7 percent. That is the huge part of their game that is unacceptable and is far worse than their 4.7 turnovers. If your going to take 379 shot attempts which is 15 a game you can't be making just 5. You either work more towards assisting other shooters or you become better shooters. You can't put that many shots up and the results be 34.7 percent made. So the plan has to be to become better shooters or we'll again have problems because almost every SEC team gets fat better shooting efficiency from that position.

Yes, yes, yes. You can't win many games, if you can't pull the round ball in the cylinder at better clip than 34%. I don't know the exact number but I am willing to bet that over half of the LVs TO involved passing up an wide open jumper to force the ball into the paint.

The team has to shoot better from outside....no doubt about it. It's a great way to keep post defense honest and driving lanes more open.

I agree...The wing was not represented in picture, but I had UPS at the door and had to go......I'm a big fan of the double wing attack, and when Justine gets here, the triple wing attack....

The only way the LVs will ever have a chance, competing against fully stacked teams like SC, and soon LSU, plus CT, is to be able to bomb away "successfully" from 3 point land.

I know 3 of our incoming freshmen are big shooters, and Miles will have to be an offensive instigator, to either score or kick it out to the big guns...

The LVs are flying under the radar now, but I'm 100,000% sure our girls are going to make us all proud...

I think 3 pointers is just one of the issues. They got their points primarily from running, offensive putbacks, catch-and-shoots from Rae, and pretty much every way possible from Rennia. Other than Rennia, they lacked a player that could consistently create for themselves. Jordan could beat the defense, but she couldn't finish the shot. The team needs just an overall skills upgrade on offense. It would also help if Tamari can develop better offensive skills so that she could consistently score inside. Especially with Rennia gone, she will need to assert herself as a more dominant scoring threat.

I also think you might be overestimating the outside shooting prowess of the freshmen. I think Puckett was the highest at ~33%, which is not great at the high school level.

A large part of our three point shooting problems last season was Davis, who made 26% and took the 2nd most attempts. Walker also made 26%, with the third highest number of attempts. Horston shot 28%, with almost the same number of attempts as Walker.
I know that it cost us some close games getting outscored at the three Georgia twice for sure. West Virginia was another we win if they don't drill 9 threes. Almost every game is it was like 8 to 2 or worse from the three. When we hit six or more threes we usually won big as we were quite adept of scoring more two point field goals against every team we played. When field goals were even or we win by two or three like the Georgia games their six more three pointers were always the difference in the games. We need a three point shooter to go with Burrell or were going to need to get a lot better defending the three.

A large part of our three point shooting problems last season was Davis, who made 26% and took the 2nd most attempts. Walker also made 26%, with the third highest number of attempts. Horston shot 28%, with almost the same number of attempts as Walker.

I still have a hard time considering Davis not a good three point shooter. Numbers don't lie, but I still felt better with her taking those shots than anyone else besides Burrell.

They need someone to be a really good catch-and-shoot 3 point assassin next year to replace the other ways that Rennia could score.

I will gladly say you were right if they fail. Up to you to say you were wrong if they succeed.

I'd still prefer Kellie get a true point guard before the season so neither of us will be gloating.

The big problem last season was everyone that played there shot in the 30's that can't happen again.

Horston has played two seasons now. Walker has played three, two of them at a lower level. In those five seasons, neither of them have ever shot about the 30's so your 45% target seems overly ambitious, to say the least...

Reactions: mcannon1
I'd still prefer Kellie get a true point guard before the season so neither of us will be gloating.

Horston has played two seasons now. Walker has played three, two of them at a lower level. In those five seasons, neither of them have ever shot about the 30's so your 45% target seems overly ambitious, to say the least...
I agree that is why I said you might be right.

Reactions: mcannon1
I think 3 pointers is just one of the issues. They got their points primarily from running, offensive putbacks, catch-and-shoots from Rae, and pretty much every way possible from Rennia. Other than Rennia, they lacked a player that could consistently create for themselves. Jordan could beat the defense, but she couldn't finish the shot. The team needs just an overall skills upgrade on offense. It would also help if Tamari can develop better offensive skills so that she could consistently score inside. Especially with Rennia gone, she will need to assert herself as a more dominant scoring threat.

People don't realize how many weaknesses Davis covered up with her play this past season that are about to get exposed.

Ideally Horston, not Rae, would be the preseason All-American go-to player heading into next season. She's easily the best talent on the team, but nobody is talking about her because she has never proven she can be that player due to... whatever issues.

Reactions: Amb3096
I still have a hard time considering Davis not a good three point shooter. Numbers don't lie, but I still felt better with her taking those shots than anyone else besides Burrell.

They need someone to be a really good catch-and-shoot 3 point assassin next year to replace the other ways that Rennia could score.

Yes, I'm not knocking Davis, of course. She was the heart of the team and so productive in so many ways. Much of her scoring was inside. That speaks to your earlier point about Key and how she is sorely needed to produce more points inside. She and Dye will need to produce a lot of inside points both to make up for Davis's loss, and to better balance the offense. Hopefully, whoever plays the other wing can shoot three's more efficiently than Davis and make up some of her lost scoring that way. I'm just not sure who that will be. Both Darby and Suarez had 30% 3-ball numbers, but small sample sizes. And I doubt any of the freshmen can be expected to carry that load in their first seasons. Gotta hope the players are in the gym working on it all summer.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back