2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

So, why play Walker over Horston?

Horston has had two seasons to prove she could be the point guard. It's clear Harper doesn't trust her to start there, and for whatever reason, she seems to play better coming off the bench.

Ahh, so. Thanks for that information. So that explains why she did not play the year before. Which makes it remarkable that she put up the nubers she did the year after. Could she have re-injured it before or during last season at UT?

She has actually had two major knee injuries, one in high school and one at WMU. I know fans here believe she's going to pull a Forrest Gump and shatter her knee brace when she starts running like the wind, but unfortunately some players never fully recover. Kyra Elzy and Ashley Robinson come to mind. I'm not a doctor, but the fact that she is still so limited physically this far out from her injury is not a good sign IMO...

Horston has had two seasons to prove she could be the point guard. It's clear Harper doesn't trust her to start there, and for whatever reason, she seems to play better coming off the bench.
She has actually had two major knee injuries, one in high school and one at WMU. I know fans here believe she's going to pull a Forrest Gump and shatter her knee brace when she starts running like the wind, but unfortunately some players never fully recover. Kyra Elzy and Ashley Robinson come to mind. I'm not a doctor, but the fact that she is still so limited physically this far out from her injury is not a good sign IMO...

Thanks for all this information. Appreciate it. Good to know.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
For arguments sake, would any top 8 team in women's basketball trade for Walker as their starting point guard? Top 15? Top 25? I would like to see the general consensus on this! Kellie has plenty of guards to choose from in the '23 and '24 classes, but currently the PG is lacking for the Lady Vols. Time will well, if Walker has better mobility and outside shooting capabilities. I will say, and major props to Walker, toughness and rebounding came on strong late in the season, I hope it continues this upcoming season.

For arguments sake, would any top 8 team in women's basketball trade for Walker as their starting point guard? Top 15? Top 25? I would like to see the general consensus on this! Kellie has plenty of guards to choose from in the '23 and '24 classes, but currently the PG is lacking for the Lady Vols. Time will well, if Walker has better mobility and outside shooting capabilities. I will say, and major props to Walker, toughness and rebounding came on strong late in the season, I hope it continues this upcoming season.
We should've been in the market to upgrade the point guard position. We didn't so now if the players on the roster can't make the position efficient and effective it is on the coaches. You don't worry about who you have. You try to get who you need and if the others want to play it is on them to make it happen when they get their chance.

Game was hard to watch bad video kept cutting out. The man supposedly calling the game was to busy doing interviews. Kaiya played ok thought she had a better game than Harmon who missed about a dozen layups. Hunter was the best of the big name players in this game. The MVP was a player I had never heard of.

Walker is a backup combo guard for a good team, especially now that her knees are shot. I'm still holding out hope that Kellie is smart enough to address the point guard position this offseason, for her sake...

Reactions: vettefool and lfvol
Walker is a backup combo guard for a good team, especially now that her knees are shot. I'm still holding out hope that Kellie is smart enough to address the point guard position this offseason, for her sake...
“For her sake....”
WTH!
Is this a threat? I know for sure this a** is not in the least bit concerned about Kellie’s sake.
“Knees are shot”. More like a wish for jack wagon. Who makes these sorts of pronouncements about 22 year olds?
We really may be dealing with a narcissist here.
Just to the point of crazy now. So desperate for Kellie to fail so he can be right.

“For her sake....”WTH!...... We really may be dealing with a narcissist here.

Lucy, there are several of those types that post here. :cool:

I found the "for her sake" a typical barb from him. He likes to design recruiting "stretch goals" that are difficult to attain. If that prospect goes elsewhere he uses that opportunity to essentially declare recruiting incompetence. Nice little racket. Set a goal that is unlikely to be reached then belittle them with snide remarks and innuendos when they don't.

Difficult to know his true motivation. Some think he is a UConn troll, others think a plant from a rival SEC school, but what everyone agrees with is his over the top negativity and apparent disdain for UT athletics. He's been that way since I've been reading his posts so this has been going on for years.

Last edited:
I'm still holding out hope that Kellie is smart enough to address the point guard position this offseason

So, the inference we're supposed to make is that if she isn't able to attract a PG to your liking this offseason, then she isn't smart enough to be head coach at UT? And yet she was smart enough to get a mid major program to the SS.

So, the inference we're supposed to make is that if she isn't able to attract a PG to your liking this offseason, then she isn't smart enough to be head coach at UT? And yet she was smart enough to get a mid major program to the SS.

See, you already get it. If she does not sign a PG, she is not smart enough. Most of his posts are set-up the same way.

He likes to design recruiting "stretch goals" that are difficult to attain.

Finding ONE point guard from the million or so available transfers this offseason is a "stretch goal"? Shame on me for setting such a ridiculously high bar.

I know it's fashionable to go full straw man on my posts, but if you aren't the least bit concerned about the current point guard situation you're lying...

Finding ONE point guard from the million or so available transfers this offseason is a "stretch goal"? Shame on me for setting such a ridiculously high bar.

I know it's fashionable to go full straw man on my posts, but if you aren't the least bit concerned about the current point guard situation you're lying...
So Darth constantly setting up false narratives accuses others of setting up straw men!
In the last week how many scenarios has Darth set up that if Kellie doesn’t do or achieve she is a failure? He has extended this to the brand new assistants. Kellie and staff will be fairly judged ultimately on the success both on and off the court of the Lady Vol program. Darth doesn’t get to set the bar.

So Darth constantly setting up false narratives accuses others of setting up straw men!
In the last week how many scenarios has Darth set up that if Kellie doesn’t do or achieve she is a failure? He has extended this to the brand new assistants. Kellie and staff will be fairly judged ultimately on the success both on and off the court of the Lady Vol program. Darth doesn’t get to set the bar.

He doesn’t, but you see, in a way, he’s still controlling the conversations. By talking about how Kellie “will be fairly judged”, even though true, that’s the narrative he wants, and it began before she was even hired, just as recruiting complaints began ridiculously early, and he has cronies who act the same, or else he uses other names, or maybe he just plays on some people’s fears.

How many times has the entire how was Kellie hired been rehashed? I can’t tell you, because it is so many. This is one of his favorites, because then everyone comes out of the woodwork, saying, well I wanted this one or that one, or I think so and so should have been considered.

This year’s incoming recruiting class is very very good, and it happened through Kellie’s hard work even through so many recruiting restrictions which worked more against a newer Coach, because Coaches who had recruited before the COVID restrictions, already had in some cases, years to meet the players and recruit on their home court and in person.

While so many are either criticizing or second guessing Coach Kellie, she’s just going about her business in a beautiful way, and sometimes surprises people with her accomplishments, such as her two new highly qualified assistants.

As you can tell, I’m definitely in Kellie’s corner, she’s just a winner. Go Kellie!!!

He doesn’t, but you see, in a way, he’s still controlling the conversations. By talking about how Kellie “will be fairly judged”, even though true, that’s the narrative he wants, and it began before she was even hired, just as recruiting complaints began ridiculously early, and he has cronies who act the same, or else he uses other names, or maybe he just plays on some people’s fears.

How many times has the entire how was Kellie hired been rehashed? I can’t tell you, because it is so many. This is one of his favorites, because then everyone comes out of the woodwork, saying, well I wanted this one or that one, or I think so and so should have been considered.

This year’s incoming recruiting class is very very good, and it happened through Kellie’s hard work even through so many recruiting restrictions which worked more against a newer Coach, because Coaches who had recruited before the COVID restrictions, already had in some cases, years to meet the players and recruit on their home court and in person.

While so many are either criticizing or second guessing Coach Kellie, she’s just going about her business in a beautiful way, and sometimes surprises people with her accomplishments, such as her two new highly qualified assistants.

As you can tell, I’m definitely in Kellie’s corner, she’s just a winner. Go Kellie!!!
I double this. Go Kellie!!

No strawman here but exactly where is your evidence that Walker's "knees are shot." Have you been privy to her medical reports; did she fail her physical and Kellie kept that dire fact hidden from the world in yet another desperation move?

We know that she tore her ACL twice. Not a great scenario but not that uncommon either. Sometimes the first repair surgery is not quite right. I have known 2 women soccer players who faced similar challenges and they finished their careers being able to play 90 minute games at a high level.

So, long as her meniscus and other structual components are in good shape, an ACL repair does not mean one's knees are shot.

She will now being entering her third full season since her last ACL tear and she was clearly getting stronger and more confident as the season progressed.

So put up, Darth, what is your evidence that Walker's knees are shot and by implication that she will be physically incapable of being the LV's main PG next season?

You know, for you sake and all...

PS,
Candace Parker tore her ACL in high school and she did okay with a "shot knee"

Also, check it out, it takes TWO full years for elite WNBA players to fully recover from an ACL, so to your "point" that it is not a good sign that Walker is not 100% during her 2nd season from an ACL, well....

WNBA players with ACL injuries don’t return to elite level for 2 years.

Last edited:

The only one going full straw man here is, well, you. What a sad soul to seemingly make it your life's mission to antagonize people on a fan board.

Not the least bit worried. So, along those lines, if I'm not worried, I'm a liar? Is that it? Your game is getting tiresome for those few that still pay attention to you. Kellie will build her team without your demeaning assistance. If she believes she needs a PG, she will find the one she wants, not the one you believe she should get. She can't build a championship team overnight no matter how much you hammer her.

Not the least bit worried. So, along those lines, if I'm not worried, I'm a liar? Is that it? Your game is getting tiresome for those few that still pay attention to you. Kellie will build her team without your demeaning assistance. If she believes she needs a PG, she will find the one she wants, not the one you believe she should get. She can't build a championship team overnight no matter how much you hammer her.

There are plenty of other fans besides me opining Kellie will try to upgrade at point guard from the portal - including yourself. Not that I'm calling you a liar.

If she does keep the status quo for next season, the results on the court will speak for themselves. I can already see a repeat of this season with the same tired excuses from the same fans (including you) about how unfair it was to expect Kellie to find a point guard...

Reactions: olddog

VN Store

Back