2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

SEC_Media_Day_Basketball_98049.jpg

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Teonni want to come here? I can attest (as a younger brother separated by two years) that nothing could be more satisfying than having the opportunity to try to kick your older sibling's butt in practice every day.

And on days when that is accomplished, being able to rub it in that evening over dinner.

Sister can be tight or extreme opposites.I grew up with 3 bro and 3 sis...Every one of us were drastically different...One brother could fix anything, another played several instruments and the other was into Karate....Sisters were even more so different, One a church lady, one a biker chick and one a homemaker,,,Then there was me,,,into all of the above.

I have coached probably a dozen sisters...half followed their sister and didn't play on the same team with and half played alongside their sister.

The one's who followed their sister a year or two later had the toughest road bc they were often equated/compared with big sis...Of the one's that played with their sister, most had excellent mental communication and symetry with their siblings,,,two sets though literally hated each other.

Only 2 of the sets of sisters were the younger more dominant than the older,,, but if I was able to utilize and key in o n the individual strengths of both and keep comparisons off the board, they are instant successes bc of their lifetime of knowing and playing with/against each other.

One advice I always give a younger sister is this (using Tk and Tk as examples)
If talking to Teonni:

If someone asks ,,,
"Are you Tamari's sister?,, say no,, Tamari is MY sister"

This give the younger sibling an instant identity.

Reactions: EarlVolFan
So as expected, the success of this class comes down to Key. Get her, and I think you can feel pretty good about this class. If Key doesn't come here, that's a loss that's pretty hard to sugarcoat no matter what other players you get. The double negative of losing these recruiting battles is not only do you not get the player, but she goes to the program in the conference you're trying to catch making the task that much harder. If Key joins Rivers at SC, Tennessee is playing for second in the SEC for the next half decade at least...

So as expected, the success of this class comes down to Key. Get her, and I think you can feel pretty good about this class. If Key doesn't come here, that's a loss that's pretty hard to sugarcoat no matter what other players you get. The double negative of losing these recruiting battles is not only do you not get the player, but she goes to the program in the conference you're trying to catch making the task that much harder. If Key joins Rivers at SC, Tennessee is playing for second in the SEC for the next half decade at least...

Just like someone mentioned that if key sisters were close no question she will commit to Vols. Ogwumike younger sister didn't think twice, once ur close. I went to the same school my older brother went and as soon as Jeff Meyers called me, I don't even need to visit, the answer was yes because I was in Athen Greece and my brother told me to play for him.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I am still hoping for this class to add Key, Puckett and any top fifty point guard. This definitely gives us what we need for that class. If one of the inside players decide on us as well to join Striplin even better. I see Kellie going more with the versatile players that can play multiple positions and can shoot from anywhere on the court. The one dimensional player I haven't seen join the team since she became coach except for Grad Transfers to fill in positions. Every player she has added as a freshman has been a player than can play more than one position and has a skill set to shoot it from anywhere on the court. I think she likes inside players that can also shoot it from the three and can make free throws. Striplin is an 80 percent free throw shooter and had a streak of making 27 in a row last season. Puckett is the same kind of shooter except more perimeter oriented she can play inside if needed. Key don't know much about her free throw shooting hopefully better than her sister was last season, but she can play four positions on the court. When you have five starters on the court that can shoot it from anywhere your an offensive team very hard to guard.
Younger Key cannot play the 5 she is very very lean, built like Davis

I’m sure she is elite and I’m about 2-3 hours from her so talent could be better where she is..... just bc you play weaker comp at the high school level does not mean that you are not an elite level player....I’m sure she played all the top talent in travel ball.
I find it funny that Rivers is being downgraded for playing in North Carolina, when the Key sisters played in the same state, the same level of competition (4A which is the highest in NC) and the Key sisters played with Rivers on the same AAU team, the Carolina Flames. Rivers was the number 1 option on her high school team and her teammates weren't as talented as she is.

I find it funny that Rivers is being downgraded for playing in North Carolina, when the Key sisters played in the same state, the same level of competition (4A which is the highest in NC) and the Key sisters played with Rivers on the same AAU team, the Carolina Flames. Rivers was the number 1 option on her high school team and her teammates weren't as talented as she is.

who was downgrading rivers because she was from NC?

Reactions: Chitownvol1129

200.gif

Deleted.

Last edited:
I tell you another reason the last regime left the program in such disarray....they ran off Law. Look at what she has done recruiting wise while at Chicken town. Maybe two consecutive #1 classes. Her leaving screwed us as much as any one other thing. JPMO.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
I was talking about Key..... I believe in Jeremy Pruitt’s version of recruiting..... worry about the ones you get..... not about the ones you don’t.

I tell you another reason the last regime left the program in such disarray....they ran off Law. Look at what she has done recruiting wise while at Chicken town. Maybe two consecutive #1 classes. Her leaving screwed us as much as any one other thing. JPMO.

Two things

1. Law is from SC and her mother is getting up there in age so she wanted to be closer to her

2. SC wouldn’t have back to back #1 classes I’m pretty sure but they may two of the top rated classes in 3 years.

So it wasn't about Rivers at all.
Oh..... I looked back and I guess it was about rivers but I wasn’t really talking about either player..... someone had asked about girls basketball in North Carolina and that was the question I was answering......my daughter transferred from Tennessee to 3A in North Carolina which is the second biggest classification and I was shocked at how poor the talent level was here..... the first game I attended..... the first six shots from the outside didn’t touch the rim and the teams were a combIned 0-4 on layups.....I have watched other teams as well and not been impressed so far.... I told my daughter if she gets the right mindset that she can average 30 a game here.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Yes I know she is most likely a 3 in college but has the ability to play as a guard.
She would get a lot of minutes here as a 3.

Can Wes and NC State reel in his most highly rated recruit since coming to NC State? Can the new North Carolina coach sell her on an up and coming program with tradition? Will she want to play with sister at UT.
However this plays out I do not see how you can fault the coaches if she chooses to not come UT.

Darthy Downer

Last edited:
Thanks so much Coach....I laughed out loud numerous times with that Debbie Downer skit.....I needed that....And yes, it is a perfect facsimile of Darth....

Meh, still beats the alternative of grandiose delusions from a "coach" with 9 twitter followers that no one will hire...

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough-and-doggone-it-peoplelike-42744317.png

VN Store

Back