2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

The site is a pay site, but found this on a different message board.

Saniya Rivers committing to South Carolina according to Gamecocks 247Sports site:

”She just informed another staff she's heading to Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks.”
Need better confirmation. Nothing on Rivers’ Indra or Twitter. Nothing from Staley.

Whatever Key decides, hope she does it soon. Puckett and a point guard would be outstanding.

Have not heard much from the point guard from Florida, Gordon. Is she still in the mix?

Reactions: krichunaka
Staley can’t comment until Rivers actually signs. Coaches can’t comment on verbals.

But when they get a verbal she tweets something out to let the fans know they got a commit

Something like “another chick in the coop”I also think I’ve seen chirp chirp lol

Last edited:
^^^ Spelling was never Dawn's strong suit.

Haha fixed it (I think). Trying to multitask with a yorkie puppy is no fun 😂

But @SCspur would probably be able to tell you what she tweets when they get a commit.

It may be something also like “another hen in the henhouse” I don’t know but to be clear her spelling and her dog are probably more on par than mine😂😂😂

Dawn tweets, “A birdie just flew into the nest”, or a more shorthand, “Chirp, chirp”, along with a GIF of baby birds in a nest, when a commitment from a recruit or transfer is procured. Within a span of an hour Monday night, Dawn indicated SC has received 2 commits. When a fan asked her when she can drop some names, Dawn replied, “November when they sign”, which infers two ‘21 commits rather than transfers.

The Rivers news comes from a 247Sports Gamecocks reporter. They don’t ever do insider recruiting info on SC women’s sports so I would say that they trust their info and source if they were willing to post this on the site.

Haha fixed it (I think). Trying to multitask with a yorkie puppy is no fun 😂

But @SCspur would probably be able to tell you what she tweets when they get a commit.

It may be something also like “another hen in the henhouse” I don’t know but to be clear her spelling and her dog are probably more on par than mine😂😂😂

She always tweets “a birdie flew in the nest”, it’s something she always does with us Fams being that it’s the only recruiting tip we ever get. She never says who until they actually sign or announce themselves but she definitely lets us know when there is a new addition.

Reactions: mcannon1
She always tweets “a birdie flew in the nest”, it’s something she always does with us Fams being that it’s the only recruiting tip we ever get. She never says who until they actually sign or announce themselves but she definitely lets us know when there is a new addition.

Right, I knew it was something like that to get the fan base excited but it doesn’t say who.

Reactions: SCspur
Agree...!

Coach, Rivers was the last elite kid we were on for 21. I get there are other solid prospects. But, there have been questions on CKH’s ability to recruit at this level. Do you think she, and this staff, have what it takes to land the elite kids TN of old attracted (say a top 3 Player every 3-4 years and a top ten type other years?

Reactions: mcannon1
Coach, Rivers was the last elite kid we were on for 21. I get there are other solid prospects. But, there have been questions on CKH’s ability to recruit at this level. Do you think she, and this staff, have what it takes to land the elite kids TN of old attracted (say a top 3 Player every 3-4 years and a top ten type other years?

Is Teonni Key not an elite player? While she is very solid I would think that would be a very good pick up closer to the elite level as she could come in and probably contribute right away. Maybe not be a starter but contribute.

This is not meant to be snarky I’m just curious as to what others think would constitute a GOOD class for her first real year of recruiting.

Is Teonni Key not an elite player? While she is very solid I would think that would be a very good pick up closer to the elite level as she could come in and probably contribute right away. Maybe not be a starter but contribute.

This is not meant to be snarky I’m just curious as to what others think would constitute a GOOD class for her first real year of recruiting.
I think a gaggle of top 100 kids with a handful of top 25 players is an excellent start.

As usual, it depends on what is is....

or what elite is.

Is elite top 25? Top 10? Top 5?

Ought be a fun poll to start here. I’m sure there will be a variety of opinions.

Key is really good. Elite? Probably in the eye of the beholder.

Teonni Key with her size and ability will be a tough check anyone,

Rivers and Rennia would have bumped heads

Yes she was the elite athlete in 2021
But I fear it would not have been a good fit, which is equally important

I don't think it was Coach K's inability to land her, I think Coach K saw other needs as more important

I think we need "2" bigs,, from which I personally put in this order:
  1. Hollinshead is a pure low-post, shot-blocker, scores in a variety of ways both facing and back to the basket
  2. Key is a Stretch forward who is athletic enough to drive on anyone and a defensive terror to matchup with
  3. Dauda is a back to the basket low post that is also a very gifted athlete
  4. Puckett is a catch and shoot forward (we have those types of players)
I see room for "1"guard and am leaning towards this order:
  1. Miles is a pure speed-guard with an excellent crossover and can matchup with the mighty-mites of the SEC
  2. Wiggins is a 6' guard that can play combo guard and can jump over anyone and finishes at the rim strong
  3. Bree Hall is quick off the dribble, drives and makes plays in traffic and has a mid-range game
  4. Shavers is a hard driving guard with a scorers mentality.

Reactions: VolFuture2k22
I don't put a lot of faith in high school player characterizations like elite. I don't think the competition is good enough consistently to be really accurate. Is Teonni really, really good? Absolutely. Will she turn into an elite player? Depends on how much effort she has and how well she is coached up. As for the current recruit class, these are some great players. Kellie is not done and she is going to land at least two more all-stars.....wait and see.

Rivers and Rennia would have bumped heads

Yes she was the elite athlete in 2021
But I fear it would not have been a good fit, which is equally important

I don't think it was Coach K's inability to land her, I think Coach K saw other needs as more important

I think we need "2" bigs,, from which I personally put in this order:
  1. Hollinshead is a pure low-post, shot-blocker, scores in a variety of ways both facing and back to the basket
  2. Key is a Stretch forward who is athletic enough to drive on anyone and a defensive terror to matchup with
  3. Dauda is a back to the basket low post that is also a very gifted athlete
  4. Puckett is a catch and shoot forward (we have those types of players)
I see room for "1"guard and am leaning towards this order:
  1. Miles is a pure speed-guard with an excellent crossover and can matchup with the mighty-mites of the SEC
  2. Wiggins is a 6' guard that can play combo guard and can jump over anyone and finishes at the rim strong
  3. Bree Hall is quick off the dribble, drives and makes plays in traffic and has a mid-range game
  4. Shavers is a hard driving guard with a scorers mentality.
Yes, Coach Harper didn’t want the No. 3 player in the 2021 class.

VN Store

Back