2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

The many visits she has made hopefully is a good sign that she will be a Lady Vol. Both Puckett and Stricklin are strong offensive players.
We need some offensive players. We hit only about 50% of our lay-ups. Why do players no longer use the backboard on their inclose shots. The boards make those in-close shots much easier. It also helps if the players try to jump when shooting lay-ups instead standing flat footed.

Not only are they the same position, they're essentially the same player. I don't get the logic of taking both of them with so many other team needs...

I agree on their similarities; however, I think it's as simple as Coach Kellie and staff are looking for length and flexibility. And shooters! And, while they are similar in height and build, I don't know how far out Karoline can play, but it appears that Sara can move out to twenty-feet plus. Also, it's probably more feasible when we consider one, or both of them on the court in combination with Key, Rae, Horston, Zaay, Emily, et al.
And, if we aren't able to sign Teonni Key? OTOH, if we do sign Key, and these two, plus what we hope is still our active roster when they arrive on campus, then we're awfully good. These players (whomever we sign) will have the advantage of a veteran group of leaders.

I agree on their similarities; however, I think it's as simple as Coach Kellie and staff are looking for length and flexibility. And shooters! And, while they are similar in height and build, I don't know how far out Karoline can play, but it appears that Sara can move out to twenty-feet plus. Also, it's probably more feasible when we consider one, or both of them on the court in combination with Key, Rae, Horston, Zaay, Emily, et al.
And, if we aren't able to sign Teonni Key? OTOH, if we do sign Key, and these two, plus what we hope is still our active roster when they arrive on campus, then we're awfully good. These players (whomever we sign) will have the advantage of a veteran group of leaders.

We all know she can score inside or outside. Also
EMuT1IIWsAAeM75

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Puckett will be three in college while Striplin is a 4-5 type player. Both can shoot it from the three Striplin is more of a power player than Puckett. What I like about both of them is that when they get fouled they are 80 percent foul shooters. The hope is that they both will be Lady Vols.

Your last sentence nailed it. You need veteran players to help work freshmen into the lineup.

She would likely have to sit out the entire 2020-21 ?

Likely unless the rule changes this summer. She’s got game but I would be nervous about bringing her in given how she exited Minnesota. I know they said it was over being suspended for “bad body language.” But there has to be more to it than that for her to just leave mid-season. Entirely possible none of it was on her but we are trying to rebuild a fragile program.

I think she stays up north and ends up at Michigan or Michigan State since she’s a Detroit native.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Likely unless the rule changes this summer. She’s got game but I would be nervous about bringing her in given how she exited Minnesota. I know they said it was over being suspended for “bad body language.” But there has to be more to it than that for her to just leave mid-season. Entirely possible none of it was on her but we are trying to rebuild a fragile program.

I think she stays up north and ends up at Michigan or Michigan State since she’s a Detroit native.

True or Arizona

Reactions: VolBall09
Puckett will be three in college while Striplin is a 4-5 type player. Both can shoot it from the three Striplin is more of a power player than Puckett. What I like about both of them is that when they get fouled they are 80 percent foul shooters. The hope is that they both will be Lady Vols.

Would be awesome to land them both. They are each excellent in their own way and have ready made chemistry from having played together so much already.

If they are both in the class of 2021, in a picture perfect world, if we retain our current roster (aside from graduates) we will have:

Seniors Burrell (3/4) and Massengill (1/2)

RS Junior Zaay Green (1/2)

Juniors Key (5), Horston (1/2), Rennie (2) and Saunders (5)

Sophomores Salary (2) and Darby (2/3)

Freshman Puckett (2/3) and Striplin (4/5) Key (2/3/4/)🤞🏼🙏🏼

All we really need in there are a couple really speedy small guards. Potentially a stellar true PG and a really pesky defensive minded guard off the bench.

We could be stacked. It will be a massive advantage if Coach Harper can keep her players together and avoid the transfer bug. We would be a very deep team, especially positions 3-5.

Last edited:
Why would Key come here if Puckett commits? That would be two commitments that play the 3-4, where Key plays. Frankly I would rather have Key to fill the wing...

Because she is probably the most diverse player in the ‘21 class. She’s six-three, six-four, with exceptional skills. Teonni, as with all of the potential signees, will have been projected WITH the veteran team that, by then, we expect to be, and with Lou, Kasi, Jaiden, Rennia, Kamera ...all gone, lots of minutes to go around.
But, if I’m understanding your question, you see the three of them, and more specifically Sara and Teonni, as either/or. I don’t, and I don’t think Coach Kellie sees it that way.

There is the offense-defense dilemma, especially in man, but as we become a better offensive team - and we surely will - these “quicker” teams will struggle mightily when we have the ball. So, that trio, if we could be so fortunate, is very promising. Add any one of the guards/point guards being discussed (I’m perhaps against the odds, hoping for Wolfenbarger), and we start to resemble what Bear Bryant used to call “a sure-nuff team.”
But, the first signature isn’t inked, so the class we sign might include none of them.
Cheers, Darth.

Why would Key come here if Puckett commits? That would be two commitments that play the 3-4, where Key plays. Frankly I would rather have Key to fill the wing...
Key, isn't a 4, too lean, she is solid 3 and maybe in a line up with a 1, 2-3s a 4 and a 5. She is not more than 130lbs and 6ft 3. Just will not ever be a post up, back to basket 4. She is a Davis type player, but not as muscular. She isn't her siater even, that gets pushed around. She is an amazing player, but no one recruiting her is seriously considering her a 4, or 5

Not only are they the same position, they're essentially the same player. I don't get the logic of taking both of them with so many other team needs...

If they can both shoot 3s and play defense, then no problem. Sounds like Puckett could play the 2-4 and Striplin the 3/4. It wouldn't be impossible to have them on opposite wings. Or Puckett at 2, Key at 3, Striplin at 4, and older Key at 5.

If they can both shoot 3s and play defense, then no problem. Sounds like Puckett could play the 2-4 and Striplin the 3/4. It wouldn't be impossible to have them on opposite wings. Or Puckett at 2, Key at 3, Striplin at 4, and older Key at 5.

Lord if you think our lineup is big right now, that line-up is HUGE. 6’6” 6”4 6’2” 6’2” and probably (hopefully) Horston at the top at 6’1”

Would likely not be able to play extended minutes with a lineup that big, but would be a tool we could use to crush smaller teams early in games.

Lord if you think our lineup is big right now, that line-up is HUGE. 6’6” 6”4 6’2” 6’2” and probably (hopefully) Horston at the top at 6’1”

Would likely not be able to play extended minutes with a lineup that big, but would be a tool we could use to crush smaller teams early in games.
That's not all too different from 6'6 Key, 6'4 Brown, 6'2 Davis, 6'2 Burrell and 6'0 Massengill today. I suspect that staying in front of quick players will be a problem for any tall lineup.

Wolfenbarger's special talents shine through

Mike Neighbors pulling out all the stops

Yikes. So Neighbors has been heavily recruiting Wolfenbarger since she left her mother’s womb, and is “best friends” with her longtime coach. And Kellie and her staff have likely only been on the scene a few months. More yikes.

Sure sounds like Jersey is a big fan of Arkansas. It blows my mind that she grew from 5’8” to 6’4” in only 10 months. 😲

Also, I noticed that Tennessee wasn’t in her list of schools that have offered. I guess I assumed they had.

Yikes. So Neighbors has been heavily recruiting Wolfenbarger since she left her mother’s womb, and is “best friends” with her longtime coach. And Kellie and her staff have likely only been on the scene a few months. More yikes.

Sure sounds like Jersey is a big fan of Arkansas. It blows my mind that she grew from 5’8” to 6’4” in only 10 months. 😲

Also, I noticed that Tennessee wasn’t in her list of schools that have offered. I guess I assumed they had.

They have offered her. It’s on her Twitter

That's not all too different from 6'6 Key, 6'4 Brown, 6'2 Davis, 6'2 Burrell and 6'0 Massengill today. I suspect that staying in front of quick players will be a problem for any tall lineup.

It should be easier to stay in front when you're tall as long as you are athletic and technique is good. Most great defenders are not short.

Reactions: VolBall09
You can't make a player go to your school Key's been recruited as well as any player can be recruited by Tennessee. If she decides to go elsewhere won't be on the coaching staff they given supreme effort. Players have a mind of their own not always going to go your way. Puckett seems like a player that we have a great shot at. She is a great player wish she had committed by now hopefully soon.

You can't make a player go to your school Key's been recruited as well as any player can be recruited by Tennessee. If she decides to go elsewhere won't be on the coaching staff they given supreme effort. Players have a mind of their own not always going to go your way. Puckett seems like a player that we have a great shot at. She is a great player wish she had committed by now hopefully soon.

Agree in entirety. Teonni is an amazing basketball player. As is Wolfenbarger ...and, my gosh, she's grown even more than first reported! I mention them both, because I believe (like my opinion matters. HA) that they are both underrated. I think DeBerry is going to be incredible for the cons; and of course, Fudd, and Rivers are obviously special. And, this (my stupid opinions) are meant to take nothing away from those higher-rated recruits; however, those two, with all that length and those skills ...they're going to majorly UP-grade any team they choose.
I'm now even less optimistic about Jersey, but, Teonni, with what we have, and what we're adding ...that would be really special. But, every other team could say likewise.
And, as much as we'd like to see an early commitment, I'm with mike099: Go ahead with those visits before deciding. This is a special time for these special talents.
Good luck, girls!

Reactions: Volfan2012 and Lucy

VN Store

Back