2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

I'm not sure who you have been watching, but she is plenty athletic.

AGAIN lol the poster said not the most athletic they didn’t say she wasn’t athletic. LOL

To be honest every team she has been on she isn’t the most athletic often times she is the most skilled but not most athletic. She has athleticism but I wouldn’t say that is her biggest strength (which is totally ok because we have had just athletic ball players and it sucked).

Teonni Key probably is a more athletic especially on the defensive end.

So if I may chime in @krichunaka said possible best player because of POTENTIAL. Didn’t say she was the best player now. Sabrina Ioenescu is clearly the best player in her class but she wasn’t ranked #1.

I get what they were saying because of her 6’4” frame and skill set she could be the best in her class as could Rivers, or Fudd, or anybody else.

No where did I see where they posted she was the best right now...

That was very kind of you, VA_VOLFAN; thank you so much!

I don't want to upset anybody, and certainly not by stating my opinion about a basketball recruit, who might, or might not decide to play for us. If Teonni Key goes to another school - even if it's the one up north (gag) - (I think) she will have an incredible career. She appears to me a "potential" double-double every game, and being six-three, six-four makes her yet more impressive. There's just so much there to want. I'm pretty sure all of the "services" have Azzi Fudd rated number-one. I have no argument with them, or with anyone/everyone here who has their preference(s). I surely don't know how it will play out. So, please allow me to modify my comments to clarify:

I think Teonni Key could very well be the best player in this class.

See what I did there?

BTW, Amb3096 (concerning your more-recent post) I too want to actually enjoy watching WCBB for the the next few seasons (Heck, I'll be thankful to live that long), but, for mental health concerns I have to avoid watching a particular team, regardless of who plays there. Little fellow evokes too many unpleasant memories.

If you covet one more than the other and you are privy to her "private between you and her, already made choice to play for you" and know that she is building anticipation for the masses,,,you wait for her and let the other player know she should make another choice.

If you are working "one" and she is laying back and making you wait for personal drama for both coach and fans,,you let that one go somewhere else because you have already given her more leverage than a player should have.

If both recruits are indeed equal your coaching eye then you take the one that commits first because they have shown you the highest level of commitment by choosing you.

Recruiting is a delicate process as a “verbal” is non-binding on both sides. We see student athletes change their mind when they believe they will sit more than they want. We also see them go elsewhere “mysteriously”, which many attribute to the school rescinding the offer.

Reactions: Bret178
AGAIN lol the poster said not the most athletic they didn’t say she wasn’t athletic. LOL

To be honest every team she has been on she isn’t the most athletic often times she is the most skilled but not most athletic. She has athleticism but I wouldn’t say that is her biggest strength (which is totally ok because we have had just athletic ball players and it sucked).

Teonni Key probably is a more athletic especially on the defensive end.

We obviously have a newbie who would rather fight than read. He has no business in our recruiting thread anyway.

Recruiting is a delicate process as a “verbal” is non-binding on both sides. We see student athletes change their mind when they believe they will sit more than they want. We also see them go elsewhere “mysteriously”, which many attribute to the school rescinding the offer.
This is totally true and I think even if we get verbals from players going forward we won't stop recruiting other players behind the scenes. I don't think you ever stop until a player eliminates you.

My bad. I overreacted there. Sorry.
I didn't consider it an over reaction not opposed to anyone's opinion she is the number one player. Her shooting skills are amazing. We just differ on her being the most athletic player. I think there are a few that could take her athletically.

That was very kind of you, VA_VOLFAN; thank you so much!

I don't want to upset anybody, and certainly not by stating my opinion about a basketball recruit, who might, or might not decide to play for us. If Teonni Key goes to another school - even if it's the one up north (gag) - (I think) she will have an incredible career. She appears to me a "potential" double-double every game, and being six-three, six-four makes her yet more impressive. There's just so much there to want. I'm pretty sure all of the "services" have Azzi Fudd rated number-one. I have no argument with them, or with anyone/everyone here who has their preference(s). I surely don't know how it will play out. So, please allow me to modify my comments to clarify:

I think Teonni Key could very well be the best player in this class.

See what I did there?

BTW, Amb3096 (concerning your more-recent post) I too want to actually enjoy watching WCBB for the the next few seasons (Heck, I'll be thankful to live that long), but, for mental health concerns I have to avoid watching a particular team, regardless of who plays there. Little fellow evokes too many unpleasant memories.

You feel really good about Teonni and I definitely agree... When I first read about Tamira and her playing in high school and watched some AAU games ..... I was convinced ! This was a 6’3 or4” GUARD leading this team and two years younger than Tamira!!!! Her potential is out if site and seeing her and Jordan and Tamira on the court together! Just WOW 😳

I will also bring up my steal of 2018 .... Rae Burrell . She was definitely raw and looked like a bull in a China shop . But last year she became a starter and double digit scorer and maybe a double rebounder consistently ? This will be her Junior year and I knew she was going to develop into the ball player I could see in her .... She will be special .... and at #43 HG ..... I still say the steal of that class JMO

Last edited:
All that to say: (Again, just my opinion) Teonni Key could very well be the best player in this class

I wouldn't go that far, but I do still think the success of this class still depends on Key's commitment. Puckett will be a good player for the Lady Vols, but fans looking at her as a consolation prize if Key doesn't come are going to be disappointed. It's unfair to her, she just isn't at that level. After the 2020 recruiting class was something of a wash as Kellie was getting settled, it's really important that she get a player like Key to keep up with the SEC "arms race" to pass Mississippi State and catch South Carolina. Gotta keep pace as Dawn just keeps reeling in great talent...

Its because you want to behave like a troll. Apologies don't mean much if you have to continually do it. Oh, and I'm not buying you are a Lady Vol fan. No way .
It means more then never apologizing if you make a mistake. I’ll admit I can be argumentative at times. But trolling? Nope. And I’m a Rutgers fan but I like Tennessee and love talking basketball.

There is very much a position for a big strong forward whose game extends beyond the arc. We have featured players like that in the past and have won championships. How dominant they become depends on execution and how the players are utilized. As far as regret goes, I try not to get upset about something that did not happen. If Teonni does go elsewhere, I wish her the best.

the dead period for recruiting now extended through July - no campus visits or home visits. And an unknown is the number of players who have not been able to play at home either for now many months. rating players based on high school junior year plus AAU 2019. making recruiting and being recruited even more problematic.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Schools usually offer around 50 in basketball and the first ones to accept are the ones that get the scholarships. When you get all the players you are taking in a class then all the other offers become void.

This may be the way less competitive schools recruit, but there is no way I would believe that top coaches like Geno, Kim, Tara, and Dawn offer 50 players full basketball scholarships every season. They are very selective in who they recruit. There also has never been a year in which there were 50 quality players in a single high school class.

If a coach contacts a player, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

If a coach goes to a high school or AAU game to see a girl play, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

If a coach makes a home visit, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

If a coach invites a player and her family for an official visit, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

Sometimes all of the above happen, and the coach decides the player is not a good fit and does not offer the girl a place on the team.

This may be the way less competitive schools recruit, but there is no way I would believe that top coaches like Geno, Kim, Tara, and Dawn offer 50 players full basketball scholarships every season. They are very selective in who they recruit. There also has never been a year in which there were 50 quality players in a single high school class.

If a coach goes to a high school or AAU game to see a girl play, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

If a coach invites a player and her family for an official visit, that is not an offer of a scholarship.

Sometimes all of the above happen, and the coach decides the player is not a good fit and does not offer the girl a place on the team.

Exactly, the top schools like UConn have firm offers to closer to 5 than 50.

Generally, I'm the same way. But this past season was delightful watching UConn get thoroughly dismantled by the top 3 teams. I wish I recorded the games so I could watch their exercise in futility over...and over...and over again.

That's what made the Tennessee UConn game so hard to watch. UConn played poorly, but Tennessee managed to one up them and play even worse. Tennessee should have won the game, but only 3 players showed up. In particular, Tennessee's post players were complete no-shows, and when they were on the court, they got completely manhandled by a 6'1 freshman guard playing out of position. Missed opportunities...

You feel really good about Teonni and I definitely agree... When I first read about Tamira and her playing in high school and watched some AAU games ..... I was convinced ! This was a 6’3 or4” GUARD leading this team and two years younger than Tamira!!!! Her potential is out if site and seeing her and Jordan and Tamira on the court together! Just WOW 😳

I will also bring up my steal of 2018 .... Rae Burrell . She was definitely raw and looked like a bull in a China shop . But last year she became a starter and double digit scorer and maybe a double rebounder consistently ? This will be her Junior year and I knew she was going to develop into the ball player I could see in her .... She will be special .... and at #43 HG ..... I still say the steal of that class JMO
Amen to that! Rae is a gem and she will be a dominate force next season. We really have just seen the beginning of her. She has the confidence to take this next level.

Amen to that! Rae is a gem and she will be a dominate force next season. We really have just seen the beginning of her. She now has the confidence to take this next level.

There are more than fifty quality players in this high school class. As far as offers 50 is certainly to much for women's basketball definitely had football on my mind with Tennessee tearing it up in recruiting. I know Tennessee offered at least thirty players in women's basketball in the present class and they are all quality players.

There are more than fifty quality players in this high school class. As far as offers 50 is certainly to much for women's basketball definitely had football on my mind with Tennessee tearing it up in recruiting. I know Tennessee offered at least thirty players in women's basketball in the present class and they are all quality players.
Not to be argumentative (or maybe I am...lol), but It's really hard to believe that Tennessee offered at least 30 kids. How do you know this?

On edit, I found this site. I think I counted 21 that might have been offered. Offered is different than interest.

Tennessee Women's Basketball Recruiting | Page 2 of 3 | WBB Blog

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

VN Store

Back