2021 Class Rankings

It was numbers, Rutgers, until he judged them and made it personal to each of our new players by saying, “Which of these players will be an All-SEC player?” His next words made it clear he did not intend that comment as a question.
My response was based on his first post. Your point is taken on the second post.

I’m just loving my nickname!!

It’s a good class. Tennessee needed a good class. Next year they’ll need to target a bit more size and post play — you can’t coach height — but for now they’ll have to focus on making the most of what they can put on the court.

Also, just saying, if you want to see bias, just check out fans discussing new recruits. Some kid or another is always the next coming. Fans cannot help themselves. They see ten minutes of tape and suddenly they know everything. I’m no different. I’ve thought kids were destined for greatness, and watched them end up never making an impact. I saw a tape of Shanna Zolman in high school and thought she was the best mechanical shooter I’d ever seen. I could see she was a bit slower, but I *believed* she’d be a legendary scorer regardless. I thought “they can work on that.” And she was a great player, just ... I let my bias influence my thinking. As fans do.

I watched Shanna in HS as well. Great shooter, automatic from the line. But, quickness/athleticism is seldom overcome. And the most elite in each class in composite usually have plus athleticism for their position. I’d agree that more athleticism in the post should be a priority but not just another body. I’m not clear on how many spots we have but Coach’s post referenced one spot. If that is the case, she absolutely has to make more room where we have taken kids that have been recruited over.

Reactions: Voltopia
I watched Shanna in HS as well. Great shooter, automatic from the line. But, quickness/athleticism is seldom overcome. And the most elite in each class in composite usually have plus athleticism for their position. I’d agree that more athleticism in the post should be a priority but not just another body. I’m not clear on how many spots we have but Coach’s post referenced one spot. If that is the case, she absolutely has to make more room where we have taken kids that have been recruited over.
what post??

what post??
wbbl.png

At 8:36 central in the BM commits thread with respect to 22/23 class. I asked him for clarification and he hasn’t responded yet. Obviously will need to make space if true.

Sorry, I was out flea-marketeering at the I40-107 location...what a cool place to just waste time...Thousands of people,,,I'd estimate about 5 in 100 wearing a mask,,,,,sigh!

Last edited:
I watched Shanna in HS as well. Great shooter, automatic from the line. But, quickness/athleticism is seldom overcome.
Shanna was good enough to make a WNBA roster, and would have had a longer pro career if she wasn't injured. But she wasn't just an elite shooter. She was considered an elite player in her class, and IMO she lived up to those expectations.

This is a very good class and a great haul for Kellie in her first full recruiting cycle. But I agree with the OP that Tennessee needs to start beating out the likes of SC, UConn and Baylor for some elite players.

Wow
first stars mean nothing,,,then they mean everything,,,then they mean nothing,,,,infinity....

Wow
first stars mean nothing,,,then they mean everything,,,then they mean nothing,,,,infinity....
If this is directed at me, I don't disagree with what I said in the past: having 50-something players designated as a "5-star player" is a meaningless appointment because there will be a huge difference between the first 10 and the last 10.

Having a player that is a consensus top 15 player by all the recruiting services is a different story. Odds are that she will be an elite college player.

Pot meet kettle
You knew what I meant, Frank Burns
Bull. I didn't know what 1 star meant.

These players are rated in stars where 5 is the best.

Are 1 stars the worst? Is that what you meant. I don't think so.

So how about a real answer? Top player? Top 5 player? Top 10 player.

Come on man, don't cop out again. Or is 1 star a made up term like some of your player descriptions like baseline forward.

If this is directed at me, I don't disagree with what I said in the past: having 50-something players designated as a "5-star player" is a meaningless appointment because there will be a huge difference between the first 10 and the last 10.

Having a player that is a consensus top 15 player by all the recruiting services is a different story. Odds are that she will be an elite college player.

No not you, the board...its like an old Godzilla movie
tenor.gif

Everybody runs with whatever the present opinion is

I have heard stars don't matter and then why don't we recruit the elite players (ummm you mean the ones with the stars?)

It is comical

I really don't understand the downplaying of getting top 10 players in regards to impact on a team.

Shanna was good enough to make a WNBA roster, and would have had a longer pro career if she wasn't injured. But she wasn't just an elite shooter. She was considered an elite player in her class, and IMO she lived up to those expectations.

This is a very good class and a great haul for Kellie in her first full recruiting cycle. But I agree with the OP that Tennessee needs to start beating out the likes of SC, UConn and Baylor for some elite players.

She was good plus a great representative. No argument. I only meant that athleticism limits the ceiling usually especially defensively and in getting your own shot. And you better have it at key spots like PG.

Thanks for the chart. So for the 2022 class even though we have only one senior, we could add two given the 13 limit. But, it’s a crowded roster which to me allows you to shoot high. I’d expect to lose one of two by the summer of 22. But you really have to be committed to that during the season to land top of board 2022s.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Thanks for the chart. So for the 2022 class even though we have only one senior, we could add two given the 13 limit. But, it’s a crowded roster which to me allows you to shoot high. I’d expect to lose one of two by the summer of 22. But you really have to be committed to that during the season to land top of board 2022s.

You need to remember that Coach Jumper is referring to his own artificial limit of thirteen on a roster. While I tend to agree with him that maintaining a full roster may be too many and would result in some unhappy players who weren't getting the playing time they expected, the fact is that the NCAA allows 15 scholarship players on the roster for women's basketball.

Jim

You need to remember that Coach Jumper is referring to his own artificial limit of thirteen on a roster. While I tend to agree with him that maintaining a full roster may be too many and would result in some unhappy players who weren't getting the playing time they expected, the fact is that the NCAA allows 15 scholarship players on the roster for women's basketball.

Jim

Unless the 2020 players far exceed expectations of providing bench depth, my opinion is it would silly to not go after the top 2022 players if you have a reasonable shot at an upgrade...even if some players are unhappy with PT. Let them fight for their minutes.

Jim

Actually there are 2 question mark players that if I was coaching this team I would either make them step up to the plate or drive them off and I would not be opposed to carrying 13 even 14 for a year or so,,,but once I got into a full set of players I felt would reach their potential,,,12 would be my number, maybe 13 if talent presented itself

Reactions: lfvol
Actually there are 2 question mark players that if I was coaching this team I would either make them step up to the plate or drive them off and I would not be opposed to carrying 13 even 14 for a year or so,,,but once I got into a full set of players I felt would reach their potential,,,12 would be my number, maybe 13 if talent presented itself

I don’t want to offend you, Coach, but I cringe at your “step up ....or drive them off” remark, and I hope you’re not willing to name names. They’re on scholarship; they’re quite likely doing the best they can under some very tough circumstances. And somebody appraised them highly enough to “ask” them to come join the Lady Vol Family.

Anyhow, and at the risk of sounding a bit too sunshiny, I see an awfully good group of players joining an awfully good group of coaches at an awfully good place for Women’s Basketball. Further, I think we’re gonna need all of ‘em.

One more tiny little thing: to label Sara Puckett “a shooter” (to me at least) really sells her short. BTW, I don’t think you see her as that way exactly, and I’m not the best evaluator of talent, and certainly not as good as you (and I’ve only seen videos) but she is an excellent all-around player - she plays aggressive, but under control. And, just a thought on the subject of shooters, and especially if and when we play zone defense, she could range out to play the two, offensively. I’m rambling, but I see a LOTTA talent and diversity in the young lady from Muscle Shoals.

Last edited:
I don’t want to offend you, Coach, but I cringe at your “step up ....or drive them off” remark, and I hope you’re not willing to name names. They’re on scholarship; they’re quite likely doing the best they can under some very tough circumstances. And somebody appraised them highly enough to “ask” them to come join the Lady Vol Family.

Anyhow, and at the risk of sounding a bit too sunshiny, I see an awfully good group of players joining a awfully good group of coaches at an awfully good place for Women’s Basketball. Further, I think we’re gonna need all of ‘em.

One more tiny little thing: to label Sara Puckett “a shooter” (to me at least) really sells her short. BTW, I don’t think you see her as that way exactly, and I’m not the best evaluator of talent, and certainly not as good as you (and I’ve only seen videos) but she is prototypically excellent - she plays aggressive, but under control. And, just a thought on the subject of shooters, and especially if and when we play zone defense, she could range out to play the two, offensively. I’m rambling, but I see a LOTTA talent and diversity in the young lady from Muscle Shoals.

I know Sara has skills beyond shooting, but shooting and hitting those shots is one of our most blaring needs. We haven't had a consistent threat from the SG spot in quite a while,,,I am looking for someone to fill it ASAP. For this year: Tess, Jessie, and Marta are the front-runners I see doing it, if not, from the incoming 21's, Sara has the best outside shot per my opinion.

Krich,, I don't post as a fan, I post as a coach.
As a coach it is Coach K's job to get this program back to prominence.
To do so she has to be a manager first and a friend second.

I recently wrote:
"When you lead, you will often have to make decisions that won’t be popular with your followers. . . Your decisions WILL undoubtedly directly or indirectly affect others. It takes courage to lead…This is why there are so few of us!"

This is the part of leadership that is not pleasant, but is necessary. (Lighting a fire under the butt of those who need one lit)...It is the part that CHW failed miserably at...Your charges must respect you and then like you,,,not vice-versa! And in basketball, respect is growth in the game and growth in the individual player,,, before,,, then it becomes growth in the team.

I want to see improvement in the off-season, Covid-19, notwithstanding....I saw posts from prospects and players showing the administration and the masses their personal workouts and dedications to growth. That was good. There was validation that they weren't sitting and watching tv,,,they were working on their game. . . Now I want to see if that translates into growth on the court.

And, no I would never name names!
And I have, before, said something like this, as a catalyst for ALL of my charges in a team setting, not just to a chosen two....If the team think their heads is on a chopping block, will they fight or give up? Maybe I say something like this just to see if anyone will not fight for their spot.

Coaching is hard.
You can make or break a life in a single moment.
And if you don't stay on top of your job,
it can make or break YOUR life in a single moment!

I am not going to lose my coaching position because I couldn't get a player to commit to growth!
Grow, or, Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: lfvol
The last few posts in this thread are just plain excellent....They are prime examples of a knowledgeable fan base aching for this program to challenge for national supremacy again...This is good! I salute each of you.

Through this down period, I have watched as much film as I could find about our new players for this season, and for the "tigers" coming next season...The results of these viewings has left me with the impression Coach Kellie knows recruiting and she knows basketball...She has stacked her rosters with girls that know how to score, be it the drive to the rim, the 12 foot pull up, or the deadly demon ball from behind the heartbreak line, these girls can shoot!

Guys, together we have been watching the rebirth of our football program, the men's basketball program become relevant again, the softball team loaded again to challenge for top honors again, and with Kellie, the once left for dead women's basketball program is finding new life and is about to rise like the legendary Phoenix to proclaim "We're back baby!"

Last edited:
I know Sara has skills beyond shooting, but shooting and hitting those shots is one of our most blaring needs. We haven't had a consistent threat from the SG spot in quite a while,,,I am looking for someone to fill it ASAP. For this year: Tess, Jessie, and Marta are the front-runners I see doing it, if not, from the incoming 21's, Sara has the best outside shot per my opinion.

Krich,, I don't post as a fan, I post as a coach.
As a coach it is Coach K's job to get this program back to prominence.
To do so she has to be a manager first and a friend second.

I recently wrote:
"When you lead, you will often have to make decisions that won’t be popular with your followers. . . Your decisions WILL undoubtedly directly or indirectly affect others. It takes courage to lead…This is why there are so few of us!"

This is the part of leadership that is not pleasant, but is necessary. (Lighting a fire under the butt of those who need one lit)...It is the part that CHW failed miserably at...Your charges must respect you and then like you,,,not vice-versa! And in basketball, respect is growth in the game and growth in the individual player,,, before,,, then it becomes growth in the team.

I want to see improvement in the off-season, Covid-19, notwithstanding....I saw posts from prospects and players showing the administration and the masses their personal workouts and dedications to growth. That was good. There was validation that they weren't sitting and watching tv,,,they were working on their game. . . Now I want to see if that translates into growth on the court.

And, no I would never name names!
And I have, before, said something like this, as a catalyst for ALL of my charges in a team setting, not just to a chosen two....If the team think their heads is on a chopping block, will they fight or give up? Maybe I say something like this just to see if anyone will not fight for their spot.

Coaching is hard.
You can make or break a life in a single moment.
And if you don't stay on top of your job,
it can make or break YOUR life in a single moment!

I am not going to lose my coaching position because I couldn't get a player to commit to growth!
Grow, or, Go!
There is a cruelty in the phrase "drive them off" that is detestable to me. Every coach has the experience of a player who because of attitude, personality, or some other issue makes them a bad fit for the team. Typically the coach will sit down with the player and have a series of heart to heart discussions about the issues. Coaching is first of all relationship building. The coach demonstrates concern for the player and works to inform the player of the situation and tries to resolve any underlying issues. Eventually the player may have to be told that it is in the player's best interest to try another venue. To drive off a player leaves the player without understanding of the core issues causing the player further pain and hardship down the road.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back