2020 Wide Receivers

VolforFootball

I like pizza
We're losing a lot of talent at the WR position this offseason. That said...

Who do you think will be our top 3 receivers, and who's likely to play the slot position?

**MOD EDIT**
Link to WR breakdown below:
LittleVol's Projected Depth Chart:

Sr. Josh Palmer 6'2 202
So. Ramel Keyton 6'3 191
Jr. DeAngelo Gibbs 6'2 215

What's leaving:
Because of graduation, The Vols lose considerable talents in the ultra competitive Jauan Jennings and big play Marquez Callaway. Stats don't tell the full story of their impact. Callaway had 91 career receptions for 1,543 yards and 13 tds. To go along with 3 career punt returns for tds. His big ability is evident by his 17 yards per catch average and explosives return abilities.

Yet it was Jennings who was regarded as the Alpha of the WR corp and offense period. The Hailmary over UGA in 2016. Him dominating Florida the same year to help snap an 11 game losing streak to the Gators. He leaves UT with accumulating 146 career receptions, 2,153 yards and 19 total total TDs. Impressive stats, but Vols fans will remember him by his gutsy and clutch plays over his career. Not to mention he was probably the toughest guy on the team.
Tyler Byrd showed super star potential as a freshman, but never really progressed after that. His blocking ability was always consistent however.

What's returning:
Josh Palmer and Brandon Johnson (6'1 200) will be the two senior Wrs leading the way in 2020. With the uncertainty at QB, this experience is crucial. Palmer has flashed speed, acrobatic type ability and more consistent hands as his career has progressed. However he may not be the most talented of the upper classmen.

DeAngelo Gibbs was a highly recruited and hyped recruit all throughout high school. He played with powerhouse Grayson his senior season and ended up signing with the Georgia Bulldogs. He has since transferred to Tennessee and has his sights set on making a big splash at WR. He was possibly the most most dominant WR in Georgia his senior season. Also hailing from Georgia is Ramel Keyton who showed great overall ability as a true freshman in 2019- Long and fast he knows how to attack the ball. Cedric Tillman ( 6'3 217) out of another high school powerhouse Bishop Gorman has really improved in his two seasons with the Vols.
He will have a say so.

So far so good? It gets better.
The 2020 class inked 3 explosive playmakers in Jalin Hyatt (6'1 170), WR/ATH Jimmy Calloway (6'0 180), and QB/ ATH Jimmy Holiday (6'1 185).
Hyatt was the most explosive player in South Carolina. He used his 10.4 100 meter speed to wrack up 2,000 yards receiving and 27 Tds during his senior year. He also played for an emerging national powerhouse in Dutch Fork high school who has won 4 straight state championships. Calloway - another Georgia product- was discovered by the Vols and absolutely blew up his senior season! Florida and Auburn came after his signature. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands but is possibly a star at Cornerback if he were put there. Also a dynamic return man. Holiday signed as a QB but his 4.39 speed and prior experience at WR lend many to believe he will be lead right back there. Speed was the need indeed in 2020.

Transfers:
Velus Jones (6'0 195) and Miles Jones (5'8 180) both bring speed to the lineup. They transferred from Southern Cal, and Nebraska respectively.

Summary:
The success of this group obviously depends much on how the QB room develops. What can't be denied is the considerable talent at disposal in 2020. Its It's a great blend of size and speed that will make Tennessee dangerous next season!

Please feel free to comment with your own projected depth chart or opinion about the group in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're losing a lot of talent at the WR position this offseason. That said...

Who do you think will be our top 3 receivers, and who's likely to play the slot position?
I am not worried about the receivers next year. We have bunch coming back and a bunch of new ones coming in. Will be a very strong position.

with the addition of VELUS Jones (FYI, spell check on this Volnation app will not allow VELUS to be spelled with lower case (haha, try it)). The receiver rotation should be solid. All the QB has to do is deliver the ball on time and all will be fine. It will be interesting to see which guys besides Palmer take a step forward. There seems to be plenty of potential there.

we're still in for a couple more too...FSU commit Wideman, will visit us on 17 Jan...Beckwith will visit on 31 Jan...I'm like a lot on here...don't see a problem at receiver at all...

GO BIG ORANGE!

I like Cedric Tillman, he has great size and speed for wr, only 4 catches and 1 TD this season QB's got get ball to playmakers......…………..

Reactions: hbvol1982
1. PALMER - I’d have a tough time taking anyone seriously who says otherwise.

After him it’s a lot more unclear but I’ll say

2. HYATT - He gives us speed we haven’t seen since.... ? .... Patterson maybe? He could stretch the field and really open things up for our offense.

3. TILLMAN - He’s got something the other guys don’t have, size.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Calloway, Keyton, Johnson, or Jones Jr. end up in the top 3.

I think Holiday sticks at QB, but it’ll take him at least a couple years to get the mechanics ironed out. Could see him being a 2-year starter at QB later in his career if Bailey leaves early and Holiday redshirts.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. PALMER - I’d have a tough time taking anyone seriously who says others.

After him it’s a lot more unclear but I’ll say

2. HYATT - He gives us speed we haven’t seen since.... ? .... Patterson maybe? He could stretch the field and really open things up for our offense.

3. TILLMAN - He’s got something the other guys don’t have, size.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Calloway, Keyton, Johnson, or Jones Jr. end up in the top 3.

I think Holiday sticks at QB, but it’ll take him at least a couple years to get the mechanics ironed out. Could see him being a 2-year starter at QB later in his career if Bailey leaves early and Holiday redshirts.

Isn’t Calloway a senior?

with the addition of VELUS Jones (FYI, spell check on this Volnation app will not allow VELUS to be spelled with lower case (haha, try it)). The receiver rotation should be solid. All the QB has to do is deliver the ball on time and all will be fine. It will be interesting to see which guys besides Palmer take a step forward. There seems to be plenty of potential there.
Velus

I'm guessing UT gets Beckwith and possibly Wideman. Either one is going to cap off one good recruiting class regardless if Hardy comes or not. I, like a few others, kinda like C.Tillman and really think Hyatt has a lot of promise. I think he'll be UT's fastest player next year and we've added a great deal of speed. Just need the arm to get the ball deep.

Velus

velus
😕

Reactions: Kristy*

VN Store

Back