2020 Spring Position Preview: Tight End

VolsnRavens

Well, tight end has been an issue here for a few years. Whether it be talent, coaching, or offensive alignment, I hope to see us get back to using some TE's. Maybe we'll just have to wait for a new QB. Anyway, enjoy the read and let's hear what you think. Go Vols 2020!

2020 Spring Position Preview: Tight End | Rocky Top Insider

"
Seniors: Austin Pope (RS)

Juniors: Princeton Fant (RS)

Sophomores: Jacob Warren (RS)

Freshmen: Jackson Lowe (RS), Sean Brown (RS), Hunter Salmon (RS)

No position on Tennessee’s roster is more unproven than the tight end position in 2020. Not only does the group lose its starter from the last two years, but it has a new position coach as well.

With Brian Niedermeyer moving to the defensive side of the ball to be the inside linebackers coach, Joe Osovet was tabbed Tennessee’s new tight ends coach. Osovet moves to an on-the-field role after spending his first two seasons in Knoxville as UT’s Director of Football Programming. He worked closely behind the scenes with Tennessee’s offense during the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Prior to moving to Knoxville, Osovet was considered one of the best junior college coaches in the country. Osovet coached 11 NFL players and developed 47 NCAA Division I players as a JUCO head coach at ASA (N.Y.) College and Nassau (N.Y.) Community College, finishing with a combined record of 33-11 with two Northeast Football Conference Coach of the Year awards (2014 and 2017) and the 2014 USA Sports Writer JUCO Coach of the Year honor.

Now, Osovet is tasked with turning a relatively unproductive position over the first two seasons under Jeremy Pruitt into a productive one.

Any talk of moving incoming true freshman Dee Beckwith to TE?

He may already be more athletic and talented than any of the returning guys.

He’d have to put on some serious weight, but looks like the height is there.

Reactions: Jaws

Pruitt seems committed to letting guys try their position of choice first. Last I heard, Beckwith wants to be a WR. Someone might correct me but I believe that is correct.

Pope is a good TE. Apparently a very good blocker. I think Lowe got some PT as a Fr. Fant is a tough one to call. He was a great athlete like Beckwith when signed but just hasn't found footing.

What about warren, I thought he was a good get coming out of high school?
I think/ hope he can at least be a good redzone target. Dude is super tall with long arms. We need him to at least give us something.

I think/ hope he can at least be a good redzone target. Dude is super tall with long arms. We need him to at least give us something.
He needed 50 pounds last year lol (edit) he’s actually put on great weight looking at it.. just about 30 pounds

What about warren, I thought he was a good get coming out of high school?
Warren is who I'm most excited about this year. I always thought Warren had a high ceiling but it would take several years for him to get on the field. If he's not physically ready this year I'll think that will be the first mark against Fitz and the S&C staff.

A lot of people thought this would be the position he ends up at. I think the first couple years he will be moved around and lineup out wide on short yardage situations, move in to TE on long passing downs, and even get a couple snaps at wildcat QB. If he is going to play basketball after football season it could effect how quickly he puts weight on to be a full time TE.

Pruitt seems committed to letting guys try their position of choice first. Last I heard, Beckwith wants to be a WR. Someone might correct me but I believe that is correct.

Pope is a good TE. Apparently a very good blocker. I think Lowe got some PT as a Fr. Fant is a tough one to call. He was a great athlete like Beckwith when signed but just hasn't found footing.
Pope is terrible.

Pope is terrible.
Explain. My understanding last year was that he was the best blocking TE on the team. Since none of UT's TE's were used very much in the passing game... that would suggest he was the most productive of the group.

Would like to see Chaney evolve him into an Evan Ingram hybrid type TE. Hybrid TE's with speed are always a tough matchup w/ LB's. That being said, we've never really figured out the TE position as a weapon...or rarely too many SEC schools. You could argue that Witten, our best ever, was probably under utilized, especially when you see him catching 5-8 balls most every game in NFL.

Reactions: LittleVol and Jaws
Warren is who I'm most excited about this year. I always thought Warren had a high ceiling but it would take several years for him to get on the field. If he's not physically ready this year I'll think that will be the first mark against Fitz and the S&C staff.
Ignorant post. You know nothing of strength and conditioning if you think that an individual that is not physically ready its training staff fault

Ignorant post. You know nothing of strength and conditioning if you think that an individual that is not physically ready its training staff fault
That's literally their job to have every player on the team to be physically ready to play football at a championship level. It's not a overnight process but if a player isnt big enough after three years on campus that doesn't look good for Fitz and company.

There had been talk during the recruiting process, primarily from fans and reporters. Coaches and Beckwith agreed he’ll be a WR at least to start...we’ll see what happens from there.

That's literally their job to have every player on the team to be physically ready to play football at a championship level. It's not a overnight process but if a player isnt big enough after three years on campus that doesn't look good for Fitz and company.
Disagree my friend. You do realize a players body may not respond. Some just can't put on the necessary weight and strength required to play at Sec level. He is tall and slightly built. His metabolism may run exponentially high . Some kids can put on good weight only by taking illegal drugs. When most in his program our benefiting why then would you blame Fitz for one kid.

Well, tight end has been an issue here for a few years. Whether it be talent, coaching, or offensive alignment, I hope to see us get back to using some TE's. Maybe we'll just have to wait for a new QB. Anyway, enjoy the read and let's hear what you think. Go Vols 2020!

2020 Spring Position Preview: Tight End | Rocky Top Insider

"
Seniors: Austin Pope (RS)

Juniors: Princeton Fant (RS)

Sophomores: Jacob Warren (RS)

Freshmen: Jackson Lowe (RS), Sean Brown (RS), Hunter Salmon (RS)

No position on Tennessee’s roster is more unproven than the tight end position in 2020. Not only does the group lose its starter from the last two years, but it has a new position coach as well.

With Brian Niedermeyer moving to the defensive side of the ball to be the inside linebackers coach, Joe Osovet was tabbed Tennessee’s new tight ends coach. Osovet moves to an on-the-field role after spending his first two seasons in Knoxville as UT’s Director of Football Programming. He worked closely behind the scenes with Tennessee’s offense during the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Prior to moving to Knoxville, Osovet was considered one of the best junior college coaches in the country. Osovet coached 11 NFL players and developed 47 NCAA Division I players as a JUCO head coach at ASA (N.Y.) College and Nassau (N.Y.) Community College, finishing with a combined record of 33-11 with two Northeast Football Conference Coach of the Year awards (2014 and 2017) and the 2014 USA Sports Writer JUCO Coach of the Year honor.

Now, Osovet is tasked with turning a relatively unproductive position over the first two seasons under Jeremy Pruitt into a productive one.

Hopefully one of the rs freshmen will be an improvement over what we had last year and that we sign 1 or 2 really good TEs in 2021. I think the TE position was the weakest position on the team last year.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Disagree my friend. You do realize a players body may not respond. Some just can't put on the necessary weight and strength required to play at Sec level. He is tall and slightly built. His metabolism may run exponentially high . Some kids can put on good weight only by taking illegal drugs. When most in his program our benefiting why then would you blame Fitz for one kid.

As a life long health enthusiast, (my brother and I are 53 and 54 respectively, and have managed health stores, been certified personal trainers before I got into Cyber Security), I keep myself healthy, but my brother, at 54, looks like an f'n rock. We have never taken roids because we are all natural. (and I have a security clearance) (Protein shakes and vitamins) and we are not big guys, but always in super shape. I can't keep up with him in the gym and we have the same body types. Took me years to be ok with it. A players body may not respond, but understand that it doesn't take 3 years to figure this out. There are 3 body types. Endomorph, Ectomorph, and Mesomorph. This is basic info for anyone in the business and it gives trainers the understanding of how you have to train each one different. I would imagine that Fitz and Co have plenty of experience in this and would direct each program (food/lifting/cardio) to best support the body style of each player. So there is something going on with this kid outside of Fitz and S&C. Maybe he has health issues (reoccurring injuries, underlying health issues, which can be as small as a front or rear delt (shoulder), that can completely change the way you have to train, to a problem you don't understand). And until we do, I'm not gonna throw anyone under the bus. Especially, what seems to be our best S&C staff in a while. Go Vols 2020!

@VolsnRavens. You’ve been doing every position so I wanted to tell you qbs are on Twitter if you wanted to share as well.

Thank you. We are all team Volnation and whoever wants to post it can. It's what makes this forum awesome. Thanks for the post. Go Vols.

According to Doug Mathews, coaches are high on Jacob Warren, Princeton Fant flashed a couple times last year, we have the 2 young RSFR Brown and Lowe and Pope (not sure if that’s a good thing or not) is still here. Now Jordan Allen has moved over to TE. We got players, some who can be serviceable imo, for us to have some success at that position.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back