2020 NFL Offseason Thread

Ehh, if he's healthy enough to play, then he has a good chance of being an impact player. People say, "Cam doesn't fit BB's system" but BB is adaptable and Josh McDaniels constructed the offense that made Tebow into a playoff QB. A somewhat healthy Cam >>>> Tebow.

I think BB's loved having a great QB, but I think he's wanted a dual threat for a long time. It just gives him more variety for drawing up plays.

Reactions: StarRaider
I think he will play well and make a lot more than league minimum. I wonder if this is the beginning of another ten years of Patriot dynasty.

I think he will play well and make a lot more than league minimum. I wonder if this is the beginning of another ten years of Patriot dynasty.
Can Newton throw the ball? He’s had shoulder trouble for what? Two years now?

Last time I remember watching a Panthers game it looked obvious he was having trouble making his throws. Loss of velocity and distance. Can’t remember if that was last season or 2018.

Last edited:
Can Newton throw the ball? He’s had shoulder trouble for what? Two years now?

Last time I remember watching a Panthers game it looked obvious he was having trouble making his throws. Loss of velocity and distance. Can’t remember if that was last season or 2018.

Yeah, 2018 he couldn't throw well, although he put up pretty solid numbers*. IDK if he could throw in 2019 because his foot was too hurt to play.

*I think the Pats would be pretty happy with 3300 and 500 with 28 total TD's in 14 games out of their starting QB this year.

Reactions: sport3500
Yeah, 2018 he couldn't throw well, although he put up pretty solid numbers*. IDK if he could throw in 2019 because his foot was too hurt to play.

*I think the Pats would be pretty happy with 3300 and 500 with 28 total TD's in 14 games out of their starting QB this year.

They should be happy with that. I have doubts he will get anywhere close to that with his wear and tear and their offensive weapons.

They should be happy with that. I have doubts he will get anywhere close to that with his wear and tear and their offensive weapons.

The health is the main thing to me. It's not like he ever had much in Carolina. McCaffrey is a nice way to get completion % up, but I believe Cam could put up better stats with good WR's. Edelman + healthy Harry could be better than any duo he had at Carolina the last few years. Meyers and Lee are kinda wild cards that could pay off, but yeah, it's not exactly a wealth of riches in NE.

Andy Benoit out here saying Bill is looking around the league and seeing that everybody is building their defenses to stop the pass, and we end up with 3 of the last 4 teams standing as run heavy + the Ravens were the best AFC team all year. So he thinks Bill's plan is to run the ball.

You football nerds really need to check out Andy Benoit on the Russillo pod. He has such crazy analysis he did. He reviewed every pass last year that was "interceptable" and then talked to the teams involved about what the coverage was, if the QB made a bad read, etc. and then he ran numbers off that fact finding. He talks about what kind of coverages create the most interceptions. Blitz packages. He talked about who throws the most interceptable balls. Who throws the least, etc.

He also talked about how the Pats don't invest in DE's, they invest in DT's because DT's are paid 50% less, they match up with guards (who aren't as good athletes as OT's), there is less you can do to chip and help against DT's, and it's a more direct path to the QB when they beat their guy.

Reactions: Knox-a-rue
You football nerds really need to check out Andy Benoit on the Russillo pod. He has such crazy analysis he did. He reviewed every pass last year that was "interceptable" and then talked to the teams involved about what the coverage was, if the QB made a bad read, etc. and then he ran numbers off that fact finding. He talks about what kind of coverages create the most interceptions. Blitz packages. He talked about who throws the most interceptable balls. Who throws the least, etc.

He also talked about how the Pats don't invest in DE's, they invest in DT's because DT's are paid 50% less, they match up with guards (who aren't as good athletes as OT's), there is less you can do to chip and help against DT's, and it's a more direct path to the QB when they beat their guy.

So I know you said blitz packages, I’m wondering if it’s more zone blitzes or man blitzes that causes picks

So I know you said blitz packages, I’m wondering if it’s more zone blitzes or man blitzes that causes picks

They talked about that i think but i can't remember what they said.

One thing that was surprising was 45% of interceptions come from man coverage schemes and the general thinking is that zone produces a lot more picks

Gonna suck when they need to pay everybody else.
You're right. We'll see. There's a bit of research into what percentage of the total team salary is made by one player and how that affects success. It will be interesting to see some contract details and make some comparisons. This could be a coffin nail...

but it feels so, so good.

As of today, this is definitely a situation where I'd trade back and take the 3rd QB in the draft. OMG, this dude...28 passing TD's and 0 INT's and he reads the whole field, unlike Fields and Lawrence who usually just read one guy/side of the field.

As of today, this is definitely a situation where I'd trade back and take the 3rd QB in the draft. OMG, this dude...28 passing TD's and 0 INT's and he reads the whole field, unlike Fields and Lawrence who usually just read one guy/side of the field.

I have honestly never heard of this guy...and I don’t know how. 3 star and 8th ranked prospect out of MINNESOTA. NDSU is definitely a NFL feeder school. I don’t know about the Lawrence/Fields comparison tho. Huge difference in competition and what each have time to do between each level. Better than Wentz at same stage and better than most who’ve snuck into the first round in recent drafts.

I have honestly never heard of this guy...and I don’t know how. 3 star and 8th ranked prospect out of MINNESOTA. NDSU is definitely a NFL feeder school. I don’t know about the Lawrence/Fields comparison tho. Huge difference in competition and what each have time to do between each level. Better than Wentz at same stage and better than most who’ve snuck into the first round in recent drafts.

Yeah NDSU plays in the FCS, but tOSU's/Clemson's weapons and OL are light years better than 90% of the defenses they face, so it's basically a wash. Hopefully we get to see Trey Lance vs. Oregon this fall.

So they can swap sweat and blood on the field, but they sure as hell can't trade jerseys. Ummm ok

You can't have the game without Von Miller trying to get Mahomes, but you can have the game without the two Colquitts embracing each other afterwards. Reducing unnecessary exposure is not hypocritical.

VN Store

Back