2020 NFL Offseason Thread

Maybe I should've left out rookie. I don't know what Big Ben, Brees, Manning, and Rodgers were as a percentage of cap when they won.

Off memory, the only guys to win it with over 10% or 11% of the cap (I can't find the article, so I can't remember the exact number):

Eli x1
Brady x2
Peyton x2
Favre x1
Young x1

This is kind of a cool article. It makes a point that isn't often discussed or considered. Sometimes you lock a guy into a big contract that he's not worth at the time, but he gets better and 3-4 years down the road as the market's inflated, you have two more years with a guy that is now a bargain. They use the example of Russell Wilson's 2nd contract. I knew Seahawks fans that were super nervous about it and though it may not have been worth it in year one, it definitely was worth it by the end. I think Aaron Rodgers is another good example, off the top of my head.

The Curse of a Salary-Cap-Eating Quarterback

This is kind of a cool article. It makes a point that isn't often discussed or considered. Sometimes you lock a guy into a big contract that he's not worth at the time, but he gets better and 3-4 years down the road as the market's inflated, you have two more years with a guy that is now a bargain. They use the example of Russell Wilson's 2nd contract. I knew Seahawks fans that were super nervous about it and though it may not have been worth it in year one, it definitely was worth it by the end. I think Aaron Rodgers is another good example, off the top of my head.

The Curse of a Salary-Cap-Eating Quarterback

I would think Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees would all fit that bill to an extent - but Ben won one on his rookie deal, I believe. Teams are basically well served if they can spread their risk/cost out over a wider net of the team's personnel. Even Tom Brady allowed for that in NE based on what I sense (I don't follow the money really).

I would think Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees would all fit that bill to an extent - but Ben won one on his rookie deal, I believe. Teams are basically well served if they can spread their risk/cost out over a wider net of the team's personnel. Even Tom Brady allowed for that in NE based on what I sense (I don't follow the money really).

I think the key with all of them is that none of them were among the highest paid when they did get those contracts that ended up being bargains. I would compare that to Kirk Cousin's contract. It might be too much for what he proved, but it still wasn't in the same league as what Matt Ryan and others were getting. I still don't love his contract but it's not as bad as it was.

Dak is asking for top money and there almost no chance that ever becomes a bargain.

Crazy with the schedule change. I like the extra games but not sure how i feel about only one bye team per conf. and some teams getting 9 home games and others 8

I agree about the different amts of home and away games. We'll see what happens I guess.

ESPN article on it, by Dan Graziono

What you need to know about the approved NFL CBA: Biggest changes and what's new

Some highlights

"At this point, the two sides haven't had substantive discussions about how the 17-game season actually will work -- i.e., which team gets the extra home game and whether there will be more bye weeks -- which is why many think 2022 is the soonest it could happen. But it's very likely to happen."

"Two practice-squad players per week may be elevated to the team's roster, meaning game-week roster sizes could effectively increase from 53 to 55."

"The new CBA will eliminate suspensions for positive marijuana tests, limit the testing period to the first two weeks of training camp and raise the threshold for a positive test from 35 to 150 nanograms of THC. The idea is to focus the drug program on clinical care as opposed to punishment. Basically, if you test positive, your test gets reviewed by a board of jointly appointed medical professionals to determine whether you need any kind of treatment."

"Each conference will have seven playoff teams instead of six, meaning three wild-card teams and a total of six playoff games on the first weekend of the postseason. The 2019 first-round matchups would have been Chiefs-Steelers, Patriots-Titans and Texans-Bills in the AFC and Packers-Rams, Saints-Vikings and Eagles-Seahawks in the NFC. Only one team in each conference would get a bye, so the 2019 bye-week teams would have been the Ravens and the 49ers."

Crazy with the schedule change. I like the extra games but not sure how i feel about only one bye team per conf. and some teams getting 9 home games and others 8
They have a two year window to enact the 17th game. Doubt they do it this season.

I agree about the different amts of home and away games. We'll see what happens I guess.

ESPN article on it, by Dan Graziono

What you need to know about the approved NFL CBA: Biggest changes and what's new

Some highlights

"At this point, the two sides haven't had substantive discussions about how the 17-game season actually will work -- i.e., which team gets the extra home game and whether there will be more bye weeks -- which is why many think 2022 is the soonest it could happen. But it's very likely to happen."

"Two practice-squad players per week may be elevated to the team's roster, meaning game-week roster sizes could effectively increase from 53 to 55."

"The new CBA will eliminate suspensions for positive marijuana tests, limit the testing period to the first two weeks of training camp and raise the threshold for a positive test from 35 to 150 nanograms of THC. The idea is to focus the drug program on clinical care as opposed to punishment. Basically, if you test positive, your test gets reviewed by a board of jointly appointed medical professionals to determine whether you need any kind of treatment."

"Each conference will have seven playoff teams instead of six, meaning three wild-card teams and a total of six playoff games on the first weekend of the postseason. The 2019 first-round matchups would have been Chiefs-Steelers, Patriots-Titans and Texans-Bills in the AFC and Packers-Rams, Saints-Vikings and Eagles-Seahawks in the NFC. Only one team in each conference would get a bye, so the 2019 bye-week teams would have been the Ravens and the 49ers."
I don’t understand what the bracket for the playoffs would like.
Also, does it means a team only gets one bye every four years?

Bracket for this year would have been

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_205137.jpg
    IMG_20200315_205137.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: MAD
Thanks, now I get it, only two teams get a bye instead of 4.
Will teams get a bye during the season now that they will play 17 games?

From what I've read, 2 bye weeks per year is the expectation, but not fully hammered out yet.

"With a 17-game schedule, the league would run 19 weeks and the regular season would either have to start Labor Day weekend (like it did from 1990 to 2001) or end past New Year's Day in mid-January."

Source
NFL plans to add 17th game to regular season: What to know and proposed ways to implement change in schedule

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back