2020 NFL Offseason Thread

A lot of those rookie WRs don’t necessarily walk into starting jobs either, so cumulative stats may not paint the best picture. Not everyone makes up for lost time in December the way AJ Brown did

They really need a WR. And plenty are impact rookies recently, including Adams himself. There were several of those guys in 2014 (Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Adams, Landry, Robinson, Brown, even Kelvin Benjamin) and this WR class was often compared to that one

Adams had 400 yards and 3 TD's his rookie year. Impact rookies are the exception to the rule. Landry had 700 and 5. That's solid, but it's not the difference between last year's team and a SB. They should make a move for a vet (if there's a season).

The Dallas Cowboys signed Andy Daltono_O

Solid back-up. I don't know that Dallas is the best fit though.

I would have wanted him as a QB-mentor if I had a young, inexperienced rookie with tons of potential. Not that many teams have someone like that... You know the type: Number 1 overall pick coming off arguably the greatest college season ever played by a QB. If only there was a team like that - a team that also had access to Andy Dalton, a veteran QB with a lot to teach...

My assumption is that the relationship had broken down in Cincy too far for him to stay.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Solid back-up. I don't know that Dallas is the best fit though.

I would have wanted him as a QB-mentor if I had a young, inexperienced rookie with tons of potential. Not that many teams have someone like that... You know the type: Number 1 overall pick coming off arguably the greatest college season ever played by a QB. If only there was a team like that - a team that also had access to Andy Dalton, a veteran QB with a lot to teach...

My assumption is that the relationship had broken down in Cincy too far for him to stay.

I think they just didn't want to pay Dalton.

Dak has less leverage to hold out now. Can he risk Dalton coming in and tearing it up with this offense?

I was sitting on the back porch eating supper the other night really wishing I could be listening to the Braves on the radio. With no sports, I've been seeing all these rankings on ESPN and CBS sports websites. So I made my own rankings. NFL team names. I probably think about team names too much but anyway here they are with my general rules and then rankings with short explanatory notes. Feel free to disagree. Vehemently. Or don't worry about it. Just for fun.

General Rules:
  1. I don’t like bird names.
  2. Animals that aren’t birds are a little better.
  3. Fierce is good.
  4. Association with city/region is good.
  5. The Chiefs are my favorite team.
  6. Cultural/Racial names are generally OK with me. (though this doesn’t come in to play much with NFL teams. Maybe I'll do baseball later)
  7. Originality is good.
  8. I’m not big on California or Florida.
Rankings
  1. Bills - Buffalo Bill was a real guy and a neat guy (maybe not “real neat” though). How cool is that? This is a cool name.
  2. Steelers - Originality. Steel country.
  3. Chiefs - See rules 5, 3, and 6.
  4. Patriots - Boston and Patriots go hand in hand. Bonus for being “New England” instead of Massachussettes or Boston. Plus those 18th century patriots were pretty tough. (Rule 3)

5. Vikings - Vikings are cool. Lots of Northern Europe ancestry in Minnesota (Rule 4). Also rule 3.
6. Raiders - See rule 3.
7. Browns - See rule 7.
8. Packers - Rules 4 and 7.

9. Buccaneers - Rule 3, but Buccaneers are not as cool as Raiders. Too French. Also Rule 8.
10. Bears - Top animal name at #10.
11. Seahawks - Rule 1 is in force, but so is rule 3. Seahawks sound tough. Plus their logo looks like Sam Eagle. I’m surprised I have a bird this high.
12. Titans - Rules 4 and 3. But at the time I wanted them to be named the Wabash Cannonballs. If Nashville had gone with my suggestion, they would be #1. Their fault they are down here at 12. Not mine.

13. Lions - Rule 3, but they are also kind of lazy. Which seems to fit, really. Sorry.
14. Cowboys - Rule 4. Would probably be higher if it weren’t so... common feeling.
15. 49ers - Rules 4 & 8. I could respect someone ranking them higher. This is probably my rank with the least conviction.
16. Giants - Giants are cool. But baseball has SF giants, and they are in California (Rule 8).

17. Bengals - I like Tigers. Tigers are tough. Face it though. Its hard to rank the Bengals high in anything.
18. Jaguars - Similar to Tigers, but maybe not as fierce. And rule 8.
19. Broncos - Rules 7, 3 and 4.
20. Panthers - See Jags and Bengals above. Less fierce.

21. Rams - Sheep. But some are pretty cool. Its fun to see them fight.
22. Colts - Colts? Ranked below Broncros for sure.
23. Saints - Not very cool, but they get rule 4 and 7 credit. Plus their logo is a plant, so thats pretty cool.
24. Chargers - Is this a reference to electricity? People that have high credit card bills?

25. Jets - Ho-hum. Probably a cooler, more cutting-edge name in the early 60s when they adopted the moniker.
26. Texans - Perhaps the LEAST creative of any team name ever. Ever.
27. Eagles - See rule 1. I know. America is awesome, but... see rule 1 again.
28. Falcons - See rule 1.

29. Ravens - See rule 1. A little black bird. Their only plus is a poem by EA Poe. A poem.
30. Cardinals - See rule 1.
31. Dolphins - Flipper. A fish that breathes air.
32. Redskins - Rule 6 does not hold. Call me a snowflake but this name goes too far.

EDIT - My numbering got mixed up when I copy/pasted. So I groups are in order and then the numbers per group are in order. Weird. So I renumbered.

Last edited:
I was sitting on the back porch eating supper the other night really wishing I could be listening to the Braves on the radio. With no sports, I've been seeing all these rankings on ESPN and CBS sports websites. So I made my own rankings. NFL team names. I probably think about team names too much but anyway here they are with my general rules and then rankings with short explanatory notes. Feel free to disagree. Vehemently. Or don't worry about it. Just for fun.

General Rules:
  1. I don’t like bird names.
  2. Animals that aren’t birds are a little better.
  3. Fierce is good.
  4. Association with city/region is good.
  5. The Chiefs are my favorite team.
  6. Cultural/Racial names are generally OK with me. (though this doesn’t come in to play much with NFL teams. Maybe I'll do baseball later)
  7. Originality is good.
  8. I’m not big on California or Florida.
Rankings
  1. Bills - Buffalo Bill was a real guy and a neat guy (maybe not “real neat” though). How cool is that? This is a cool name.
  2. Steelers - Originality. Steel country.
  3. Chiefs - See rules 5, 3, and 6.
  4. Patriots - Boston and Patriots go hand in hand. Bonus for being “New England” instead of Massachussettes or Boston. Plus those 18th century patriots were pretty tough. (Rule 3)

1. Vikings - Vikings are cool. Lots of Northern Europe ancestry in Minnesota (Rule 4). Also rule 3.
  2. Raiders - See rule 3.
  3. Browns - See rule 7.
  4. Packers - Rules 4 and 7.

1. Buccaneers - Rule 3, but Buccaneers are not as cool as Raiders. Too French. Also Rule 8.
  2. Bears - Top animal name at #10.
  3. Seahawks - Rule 1 is in force, but so is rule 3. Seahawks sound tough. Plus their logo looks like Sam Eagle. I’m surprised I have a bird this high.
  4. Titans - Rules 4 and 3. But at the time I wanted them to be named the Wabash Cannonballs. If Nashville had gone with my suggestion, they would be #1. Their fault they are down here at 12. Not mine.

1. Lions - Rule 3, but they are also kind of lazy. Which seems to fit, really. Sorry.
  2. Cowboys - Rule 4. Would probably be higher if it weren’t so... common feeling.
  3. 49ers - Rules 4 & 8. I could respect someone ranking them higher. This is probably my rank with the least conviction.
  4. Giants - Giants are cool. But baseball has SF giants, and they are in California (Rule 8).

1. Bengals - I like Tigers. Tigers are tough. Face it though. Its hard to rank the Bengals high in anything.
  2. Jaguars - Similar to Tigers, but maybe not as fierce. And rule 8.
  3. Broncos - Rules 7, 3 and 4.
  4. Panthers - See Jags and Bengals above. Less fierce.

1. Rams - Sheep. But some are pretty cool. Its fun to see them fight.
  2. Colts - Colts? Ranked below Broncros for sure.
  3. Saints - Not very cool, but they get rule 4 and 7 credit. Plus their logo is a plant, so thats pretty cool.
  4. Chargers - Is this a reference to electricity? People that have high credit card bills?

1. Jets - Ho-hum. Probably a cooler, more cutting-edge name in the early 60s when they adopted the moniker.
  2. Texans - Perhaps the LEAST creative of any team name ever. Ever.
  3. Eagles - See rule 1. I know. America is awesome, but... see rule 1 again.
  4. Falcons - See rule 1.

1. Ravens - See rule 1. A little black bird. Their only plus is a poem by EA Poe. A poem.
  2. Cardinals - See rule 1.
  3. Dolphins - Flipper. A fish that breathes air.
  4. Redskins - Rule 6 does not hold. Call me a snowflake but this name goes too far.
Great list
Would have put Pittsburgh #1
Why didn’t Houston reuse the Oilers nickname?

I'm basically the opposite...Steelers, Oilers, Packers, Browns, 49ers, etc. are the dumbest names.

Patriots, Raiders, Bucs, Cowboys, Vikings, Chiefs, etc. Those are the best names.

BTW, the SF giants used to be the NY Giants and they were named after skyscrapers, so I would say the name belongs in NY.

My as of now NFL predictions for 2020

AFC East

Buffalo Bills 11-5
New England Patriots 9-7
Miami Dolphins 6-10
New York Jets 5-11

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts 12-4
Tennessee Titans 11-5***
Houston Texans 10-6***
Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens 13-3
Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
Cleveland Browns 7-9
Cincinnati Bengals 4-12

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs 14-2
Denver Broncos 9-7
Los Angeles Chargers 7-9
Las Vegas Raiders 7-9

AFC Wildcard Teams: 11-5 Tennessee Titans and 10-6 Houston Texans

AFC Championship Game: 13-3 Baltimore Ravens vs 14-2 Kansas City Chiefs

2020 AFC Champions: 14-2 Kansas City Chiefs

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys 10-6
Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
New York Giants 5-11
Washington Redskins 4-12

AFC South

New Orleans Saints 11-5
Atlanta Falcons 10-6***
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8-8
Carolina Panthers 5-11

NFC North

Green Bay Packers 12-4
Minnesota Vikings 11-5***
Chicago Bears 8-8
Detroit Lions 6-10

NFC West

San Francisco 49'er 11-5
Seattle Seahawks 10-6
Los Angeles Rams 8-8
Arizona Cardinals 5-11

NFC Wildcard Teams: 10-6 Atlanta Falcons and 11-5 Minnesota Vikings

NFC Championship Game: 11-5 New Orleans Saints vs 12-4 Green Bay Packers

2020 NFC Champions: 12-4 Green Bay Packers

SUPER BOWL LV: 12-4 Green Bay Packers vs 14-2 Kansas City Chiefs

***Wildcard Teams

Reactions: Knox-a-rue and MAD

AFC East

Buffalo Bills 11-5
New England Patriots 9-7
Miami Dolphins 6-10
New York Jets 5-11

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts 12-4
Tennessee Titans 11-5***
Houston Texans 10-6***

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens 13-3
Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
Cleveland Browns 7-9
Cincinnati Bengals 4-12

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs 14-2
Denver Broncos 9-7
Los Angeles Chargers 7-9
Las Vegas Raiders 7-9

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys 10-6
Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
New York Giants 5-11
Washington Redskins 4-12

AFC South

New Orleans Saints 11-5
Atlanta Falcons 10-6***
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8-8
Carolina Panthers 5-11

NFC North

Green Bay Packers 12-4
Chicago Bears 8-8
Detroit Lions 6-10

NFC West

San Francisco 49'er 11-5
Seattle Seahawks 10-6
Los Angeles Rams 8-8
Arizona Cardinals 5-11

***Wildcard Teams
Lions are going to be the surprise team of 2020

I'm basically the opposite...Steelers, Oilers, Packers, Browns, 49ers, etc. are the dumbest names.

Patriots, Raiders, Bucs, Cowboys, Vikings, Chiefs, etc. Those are the best names.

BTW, the SF giants used to be the NY Giants and they were named after skyscrapers, so I would say the name belongs in NY.
I didnt realize that about the Giants. That bumps the NY giants to #13 for me.

Reactions: NashVol11

AFC East

Buffalo Bills 11-5
New England Patriots 9-7
Miami Dolphins 6-10
New York Jets 5-11

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts 12-4
Tennessee Titans 11-5***
Houston Texans 10-6***

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens 13-3
Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
Cleveland Browns 7-9
Cincinnati Bengals 4-12

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs 14-2
Denver Broncos 9-7
Los Angeles Chargers 7-9
Las Vegas Raiders 7-9

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys 10-6
Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
New York Giants 5-11
Washington Redskins 4-12

AFC South

New Orleans Saints 11-5
Atlanta Falcons 10-6***
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8-8
Carolina Panthers 5-11

NFC North

Green Bay Packers 12-4
Chicago Bears 8-8
Detroit Lions 6-10

NFC West

San Francisco 49'er 11-5
Seattle Seahawks 10-6
Los Angeles Rams 8-8
Arizona Cardinals 5-11

***Wildcard Teams
Any prediction with KC in the Super Bowl is a prediction I like.

Otherwise, I'm in general agreement. I'm not quite as bullish on Atlanta as you but I think they'll have a good year. We'll see.

Also they are switching to 3 wild card teams and I thought this year was going to be the first year they do it but I could have my facts wrong. Gives Atlanta a better chance - most everyone really.

Here’s how the Lion‘s social media team went about revealing the team’s 2020 schedule:

96362981_3321883494524982_8194998244460199936_o.jpg

VN Store

Back