2020 NBA Season Thread (brought to you by Jerry’s need for attention)

This new doc about the Decision claims the idea to make it into a TV event came from Bill Simmons' mailbag and Simmons pushed it with ESPN. Lebron's people liked the idea. The rest is history. Bill has killed Lebron over the tone deaf decision and it was his idea!

Not surprised.

If you believe Simmons, then he totally has a valid out. He said it was his idea and then he was out of the equation, so he had nothing to do with the way it was carried out. His belief that it was a good idea was based on the notion that he though Lebron was returning to Cleveland.

Windhorst and Lowe revisited the Decision.

BW said Lebron's people approached music mogul David Geffin to buy the Clippers so the big 3 could go there. Sterling wasn't interested in selling.

They said Wade and Lebron were not planning to go to Chicago together because with Rose it would be too many ball handlers. So it would have been Wade and Bosh or Lebron and Bosh....

Rose
Korver
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

With Deng and Gibson off the bench. They likely still draft Butler that next year, too. Would have been insane.

Windhorst and Lowe revisited the Decision.

BW said Lebron's people approached music mogul David Geffin to buy the Clippers so the big 3 could go there. Sterling wasn't interested in selling.

They said Wade and Lebron were not planning to go to Chicago together because with Rose it would be too many ball handlers. So it would have been Wade and Bosh or Lebron and Bosh....

Rose
Korver
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

With Deng and Gibson off the bench. They likely still draft Butler that next year, too. Would have been insane.

I remember a lot of people during that time for sure thought Wade was going to Chicago and the Bulls thought they had him but LeBron decided to go to Miami instead and Wade obviously stayed.

If only Danny Ferry had traded JJ Hickson for Amare Stoudemire. Might have changed the whole decade.

The three best not talked about what if’s of the NBA decade

1) What if Cleveland traded Hickson for Amare.

2) The Clippers traded an unprotected first to ship Baron Davis to Cleveland during the 2011 season. That became the Kyrie pick. The Clippers either wouldn’t have traded for Chris Paul or they instead trade Kyrie and not Eric Gordon. Or Paul ends up somewhere else. Or they keep Kyrie. Kyrie/Gordon/Blake/D’Andre...

3) The Kevin Love/Klay Thompson trade that the Warriors ownership desperately wanted to do but Jerry West and Bob Meyer talked them out of. Does Wiggins stay in Cleveland? Does Cleveland trade Wiggins for another star? Would Cleveland had the foresight to trade Wiggins for Klay? And the Warriors dynasty never happens because Steph/Love defensively probably doesn’t work and Draymond doesn’t get the PT.

Reactions: TBrown
The three best not talked about what if’s of the NBA decade

1) What if Cleveland traded Hickson for Amare.

2) The Clippers traded an unprotected first to ship Baron Davis to Cleveland during the 2011 season. That became the Kyrie pick. The Clippers either wouldn’t have traded for Chris Paul or they instead trade Kyrie and not Eric Gordon. Or Paul ends up somewhere else. Or they keep Kyrie. Kyrie/Gordon/Blake/D’Andre...

3) The Kevin Love/Klay Thompson trade that the Warriors ownership desperately wanted to do but Jerry West and Bob Meyer talked them out of. Does Wiggins stay in Cleveland? Does Cleveland trade Wiggins for another star? Would Cleveland had the foresight to trade Wiggins for Klay? And the Warriors dynasty never happens because Steph/Love defensively probably doesn’t work and Draymond doesn’t get the PT.

Blake Griffin was on the Armchair Expert pod the other day. He had some pretty interesting stuff to say. He talked about how he's always been a leader and then he goes to the Clippers where he can be a leader right away, and then CP3 comes in and takes the reins, and BG had to learn to be a whole new person. He didn't really sound bitter about the way it went down, but it was apparent he liked the young team and the dynamic they had, and that they were on the right track.

He also said that the Clippers got a sports shrink and encouraged them to talk to him. He said he had a 2 hr session with him at BG's house and moments later BG gets a voicemail, "Hey coach, this is the sports shrink. I just left Blake's house. Give me a call back," and Blake was like, "nuh uh, never again."

They're trying to get the 8 teams not going to Orlando together in Chicago to play? I bet most of the players will opt out.

Would be cool if they made it a playoff style tournament but winner gets the first draft pick. Have a tournament instead of the lottery this year.

They're trying to get the 8 teams not going to Orlando together in Chicago to play? I bet most of the players will opt out.

Would be cool if they made it a playoff style tournament but winner gets the first draft pick. Have a tournament instead of the lottery this year.

I think they should have a single elimination midseason tourney every year for a draft pick (15th pick?). Midseason tourneys in soccer are super popular

I really wish that there would have been pools at Disney and that the top seeds got to draft the other teams in their pool.

I also wish every game would have the Elam ending. It was a smash hit at the All Star game.

Basically, the NBA could have really mixed things up and used this year as an experiment. But instead just did the same old same old.

I love the idea of a tournament for the #1 pick, but I think that's a "rich get richer" idea. Maybe you have the bottom 4 play each other, or bottom 8. I dont know.

But yeah. NBA could have done so much better with all of this.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I'm reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobio and he said that on the set of Conan the Destroyer, he saw Wilt work out with 240 on tricep extensions (I assume he meant lying overhead w/ ez curl bar). FFS!

He also said that Wilt and Grace Jones had a mini race war between them.

The Nets need to fold shop and concede their playoff spot to the Wizards who can also fold shop. 7 from the East.

VN Store

Back