2020 NBA Playoffs Thread: Bio-Dome Edition

This is weird to think about, but every title team from '99 to '10 had a star in the post, and this is only the 2nd time a title team has had a star in the post since 2010 (old man Duncan in 2014).

People keep talking about longevity advantages today's players enjoy as if that explains Lebron being in MVP form at 35 with all the miles on his legs. Where are his peers? Who were the best players over 32 this year? CP3 and Lowry? Really? Am I forgetting somebody?

A couple of more interesting finals facts:
LeBron is only the 4th player in NBA history to win a title while leading the league in assists. The other 3 to do it are Magic Johnson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy.

There are only 5 other players who won Finals MVP after getting a triple double in the championship winning game. They are Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan, James Worthy, Magic Johnson, and Jerry West. All of those guys did it once. LeBron has now done it 3 times.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Talking about how locked in the players were

"You have no idea how good the quality of the basketball was." - Bill Simmons' friend from inside the bubble

Chris Dudley confirmed, talking about communication from the bench calling out plays, etc.

Vogel confirmed the Plumlee play was supposed to go to Bron. It's a read option for Rondo. The other 3 guys are allowed to improvise if something opens up. He said they run it all the time. AD saw Plumlee cheat to Bron and bowed out to the 3p line

Probably some but according to Nielsen all sports have been hit.

The 2020 NBA Finals Ratings Are Historically Bad. But Why?

MLB playoffs are down almost 40%, NHL playoffs were down 25% with the Stanley Cup Finals down 61%. The NFL so far is down 14%. The Kentucky Derby usually gets 15 million and it got 9.3 million. The US Open's final round was down 55% from last year and was the lowest final round on record. College football ratings are down as well, though you can blame some of it on the lack of big time non-conference match ups and 2 major conferences not even playing yet.

I don't think you can point to one thing. I think it's a combo, and 2 other big factors are the sports schedule is way out of sync, and the other one is.....I think people just got used to no sports for 3-4 months and some got used to it and didn't immediately come back.

To add even more context, the Opening Game of the World Series was the lowest watched WS game since they've been keeping up with it.

To add even more context, the Opening Game of the World Series was the lowest watched WS game since they've been keeping up with it.

I think also, 10 minute videos of highlights come out on youtube about 15 minutes after the game is over.

Many casuals just prefer to watch that.

People keep talking about longevity advantages today's players enjoy as if that explains Lebron being in MVP form at 35 with all the miles on his legs. Where are his peers? Who were the best players over 32 this year? CP3 and Lowry? Really? Am I forgetting somebody?
I mean there was a fella who did all of that at 35 alread
Dudley crediting AD with holding Lebron accountable on regular season D this year
We all know AD was the real Lakers MVP

I mean there was a fella who did all of that at 35 alread

We all know AD was the real Lakers MVP

We all know that AD won one playoff series without Lebron.

Michael started late and took 2.5 years off due to injury and mental fatigue, and then retired again before 35. You can't compare him to a guy who logged 37% more NBA minutes by age 35.

When MJ was 34, the league was old and the talent was diluted. 2 of the 12 guys to receive MVP votes this year were 31 or older. 10 of the 18 in 1998 were. Vin Baker was one of the young guys getting MVP votes, LOL, and it's not like this year where Jayson Tatum got one random 5th place vote. He had 24 points and was 8th.

Michael started late and took 2.5 years off due to injury and mental fatigue, and then retired again before 35. You can't compare him to a guy who logged 37% more NBA minutes by age 35.

When MJ was 34, the league was old and the talent was diluted. 2 of the 12 guys to receive MVP votes this year were 31 or older. 10 of the 18 in 1998 were. Vin Baker was one of the young guys getting MVP votes, LOL, and it's not like this year where Jayson Tatum got one random 5th place vote. He had 24 points and was 8th.
More teams now so the talent is more diluted.

Great players were vets. It was a mans league.

We know the Lakers didn't make the playoffs without AD.

More teams now so the talent is more diluted.

Great players were vets. It was a mans league.

We know the Lakers didn't make the playoffs without AD.

There is only one more team now...that's only 3% growth. The talent pool is much bigger than it was in the 1990's. The US population is 25% bigger and the sport has exploded internationally.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver

Not that I disagree with your point re: minutes played, but MJ didn't start late. He played college basketball for 3 seasons. It's not like he was preserving himself for 3 years or something. Granted it isn't NBA minutes but not zero either.

Not that I disagree with your point re: minutes played, but MJ didn't start late. He played college basketball for 3 seasons. It's not like he was preserving himself for 3 years or something. Granted it isn't NBA minutes but not zero either.

Yeah, definitely not nothing, but it's kiddie minutes in comparison (although he gets to boast the natty). Let's throw in AAU now too (kidding).

@n_huffhines Thought you might find this read interesting. I see it as a fair criticism of Leonard's "leadership."

Moore: Quick Fixes Won't Be Enough for Clippers Without More From Kawhi Leonard

Oh yeah, I think they pretty much nailed it. He's just a lead by example guy. He's not a real leader. Kawhi was the best player on the Raptors, but that was Lowry's team and that's why it worked.

I think it's OK to not be a ra-ra leader. I don't think it's OK to overdo the superstar treatment thing. The thing that soured me in this playoffs is that Kawhi didn't try as hard on D. IDK if he just mentally checked out when he saw how f'ed the team was in the bubble, or what? Clippers don't have a leader.

VN Store

Back