2020 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

From all the information boarders have shared Cardosa and LV were not mutually interested prior to and after the coaching change. Someone wrote "take her off our list" I expect she hasn't been on the extra-effort list for the LVs for some time.

Without using the cliche of getting in late, I would not be surprised that a coach from a Missouri University might have had contact with Lauren Ware before she was highly recruited.

I had heard that Cardoso had indicated that she had no desire to play for Tennessee when Holly was the coach. And, I agree, as I have said before, that it would be difficult for the current coaching staff to make inroads, at the SEC level, in the 2020 class. I would be thrilled if Kellie could bring in Hayes/Hunt and Reese and a post/forward player, such as Westbeld, Walker or Ware.
And, I list Ware last for a reason. While I think it a personal accomplishment if a player can excel in more than one sport, the seasons in basketball and volleyball have too much of an overlap and to play volleyball at the level of the Lady Vols would require a commitment that would take a player out of the preseason training and the first half of the basketball season. Unless I just had a scholarship that I was not otherwise planning on filling, I'm not sure I would use one on someone who was not fully committed to the basketball team. Just my opinion.

Jim

An updated list would probably look like:

Named - Height - Position - State - PN Rank - ESPN Rank

- Angel Reese - 6’3” - Wing - MD - PN 6 - ESPN 2
- Sarah Andrews - 5’7” - PG - TX - PN 4 - ESPN 7
- Lauren Ware - 6’5” - Post - ND - PN 13 - ESPN 30
- Treasure Hunt - 6’1” - Wing - TN - PN 14 -ESPN 36
- Madeline Westbeld - 6’2” - Forward - OH - PN 24 - ESPN 31
- Sakima Walker - 6’4” - Post - OH - PN 33 -ESPN 53
- Dontavia Waggoner - 6’1” - Wing - TN - PN 27 - ESPN 74
- Madison Hayes - 6’0” - Guard - TN - PN 57 - ESPN 25
- Piath Gabriel - 6'5" - Forward - NH - PN 88
- Eylia Love - 6’0” - Wing - KS - ESPN 90
- Abbey Crawford - Wing - TN

**Prospects in bold indicated we were named in their top-5**

Last edited:

- Elauna Eaton - 6’0” - Wing - AR - PN 36 - ESPN 46

***Elauna Eaton is announcing her top-5 on Monday evening***

I agree with CannonVol80: the logistics of signing and accommodating this remarkable, duel-sport post player - Lauren Ware - might be too high a hurdle (though she appears plenty talented and determined).
Joining sophomore, Horston, and senior, Davis, would appear an ideal (and likely, formidable) set up for Angel Reese; and, yet, the Maryland group will seal the border.
What are our odds, 3-in-ten?
Madeline Westbeld? What an intriguing and versatile player. And, another huge recruiting challenge.
While all three of these players are long shots, securing any one of them would authenticate the Kellie Harper and Company recruiting prowess.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123

- Elauna Eaton - 6’0” - Wing - AR - PN 36 - ESPN 46

***Elauna Eaton is announcing her top-5 on Monday evening***

This is a nice list. I noticed you are interested in recruiting! However, there are recruits mentioned on your list that I have never heard of an interest till you listed them . (Waggoner ) out of Nashville , and Crawford from Sullivan Central. And others that I have listed that you did not mention? Thanks again and who knows..... you may have an inside knowledge?

Careful with the Tennessee girls .... some on here think we only go after the top tier recruits and Tennessee girls are only second consideration? JMO

Reactions: stllvf
How many recruits actively use social media to announce the schools of interest? and how many do not - that the LVs are active with? How many players have the LVs actually offered? And of course our list - do we-boarders expect surprises?

Z Green committed to Kansas State first and her mother, according to the story, suggested she visit Knoxville. Cochran was quoted last month after the 3 x 3 win that she was looking forward to her visits - month later selected Louisville.

I felt when KJH was hired that with the late start that two players would be acceptable to go with the 10 on scholarship for 2020-21. JMO

Reactions: krichunaka
How many recruits actively use social media to announce the schools of interest? and how many do not - that the LVs are active with? How many players have the LVs actually offered? And of course our list - do we-boarders expect surprises?

Z Green committed to Kansas State first and her mother, according to the story, suggested she visit Knoxville. Cochran was quoted last month after the 3 x 3 win that she was looking forward to her visits - month later selected Louisville.

I felt when KJH was hired that with the late start that two players would be acceptable to go with the 10 on scholarship for 2020-21. JMO

She committed to Kansas

While I like our new coach, recruiting is where we are getting killed. That will equate to on the court. Walz coaching USA and still getting it done. This was a really easy choice, yet we were so high and mighty we never even give Jeff a interview. This will bite us.

While I like our new coach, recruiting is where we are getting killed. That will equate to on the court. Walz coaching USA and still getting it done. This was a really easy choice, yet we were so high and mighty we never even give Jeff a interview. This will bite us.

How are we getting killed exactly ? I think we all were resigned to the fact that 2020 class may not be what we are used to. While Jeff Walz got Olivia Cochran and those transfers (which the GTech coach ended up on his staff🤔)

I don’t exactly think we are getting killed just yet. We are in on a lot very good prospects and I think that says a lot about the coaching staff. Now they gotta close the deal but to even get in the top 4 this late says a lot. The thing that killed us was lack of developing COHESION and talent. Recruiting never was an issue (except 2016) and it still got us killed.

I am not arguing with you I am just curious as to your perspective...

You were doing fine ...until, “While I like our new coach....”
and “....recruiting is where we’re getting killed.” Rush to judgement much?
Then: “This was a really easy choice....” Yeah, you really like her.

Any reasonable fan readily acknowledges that we’re a full year-plus away from fairly grading Coach Harper’s recruiting acumen; though a shocking development from Ohio or Maryland would sure show promise.

This is a nice list. I noticed you are interested in recruiting! However, there are recruits mentioned on your list that I have never heard of an interest till you listed them . (Waggoner ) out of Nashville , and Crawford from Sullivan Central. And others that I have listed that you did not mention? Thanks again and who knows..... you may have an inside knowledge?

Careful with the Tennessee girls .... some on here think we only go after the top tier recruits and Tennessee girls are only second consideration? JMO
I pretty much just took the initial list and tweaked it a little. Any suggestions as to who else to add?

Looks like she wants to start or more playing time ! ... JMO

She's a good looking player, and someone we have four chances in five of watching, in-conference for the foreseeable future.
Of course, there's another outstanding, hard-working, sharp-shooting player in Arkansas for next year's signing class - Jersey Wolfenbarger. Hopefully, time, and a lot of wins will see us better poised to close the deal.

Walz is contracted with Louisville till April 1, 2025. He earns $1.475 million a year. (Talk about high and mighty!) Tennessee did not provide him leverage (in the form of an interview) so that he could get that salary bumped up to $1.5 million sooner and remain at the school he loves in his home state.

Harper has her work cut out for her, but at least we didn’t have to go through Walz’s rejection. Oodles of sources reported on that coaching “flirtation” back in April, and never did Walz suggest that he would realistically consider. I’m sure sources closer to the situation than I were attentive and vibe-wary of his (lack of) interest. If he were here, he would be facing the same hurdles that Harper is now. If Harper can get this group organized and under control, passionate and competitive again, and keep the rest of these players out of the portal, we’ll be headed in the right direction.

Certainly a little confused with our recruiting this year. Looks like we passed on Walker never offered her looks like she now has her five visits set and will choose from those. Then we see Louisville get Cochran and looks like were not interested in Cardoso at all wouldn't fit our style of play. Of course were still in on a lot of great players so see how it turns out right now have to hit a couple home runs we seem to be a little behind in the game.

- Piath Gabriel - 6'5" - Forward - NH - PN 88

Other prospects that I have seen mentioned on this forum....

Haley Van Lith 5'9" pg Wa. Hg #8 PN #2
Keegan Sullivan 5'11" pg Indy PN #25
DeYona Gaston 6'2" F Tx. Hg #34 PN #18
Eniya Russell 5' 10" G Maryland HG #49 PN #37
Madison Scott 6'2" F Maryland HG #13 PN #49
Chyna Cornwall 6' 2" P N.C. HG #63 PN #74
Kelly Pickett 5'7" PG Ala.

I don't know how successful we will be considering the coaching changes? However, I find the interest even in the up and comers (Piath Gabriel) promising! Winning will be the biggest help in recruiting but I am impressed with this group of coaches as I read more and more each day..... Gonna get interesting!
My wish list would be Angel Reese , Treasure or Hayes , (Tennessee kids) or both of them? I don't think a post is a must this year ? But you need a pg., guard/wing , and some type of Big every year! JMO

Lauren Ware will take her fourth official this weekend to Arizona:

Well she has one more Official Visit ! Tennessee , UCLA , or Minnesota.... Lets see how it goes.... North Dakota is not close to Tennessee ! 1185 miles but UCLA is 1955 miles away. Minnesota is only a couple hundred. But her only visit still on the list (Texas) is 1100 miles away Arizona is 1800 miles away sooo ? Who knows what teenagers are thinking today?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well she has one more Official Visit ! Tennessee , UCLA , or Minnesota.... Lets see how it goes.... North Dakota is not close to Tennessee ! 1185 miles but UCLA is 1955 miles away. Minnesota is only a couple hundred. But her only visit still on the list (Texas) is 1100 miles away Arizona is 1800 miles away sooo ? Who knows what teenagers are thinking today?

For some, it may be the only chance they will ever get to see 1955 miles from their birthplace.
Some never leave it at all.

If I were a great player ... I would go to my dream destination first and if that doesn't work out, transfer to near my home and finish as strong as I could in that new, closer to my family/friends, setting.

Or do like Alexa did and go to my local dream destination and then transfer for growth

My wish list would be Angel Reese , Treasure or Hayes , (Tennessee kids) or both of them? I don't think a post is a must this year ? But you need a pg., guard/wing , and some type of Big every year! JMO

That’s a really good wish list.
I’m curious to see how our group of guards/wings - and specifically the sophomores - progress this season; and, I suspect that the recruits share that curiosity for obvious reasons. Of course, Angel Reese would be a bombshell signing; then, next year’s class has a few similarly talented prospects - Saniya Rivers and Jersey Wolfenbarger, being two of the best of the group. Six-two players with such skills and versatility are becoming more common, and having any of those makes us very good.
Or, will we see a huge step forward by our current roster?

While I prattle on: Someone suggested that Miss Cardoso would not fit our style. This could be true, though I can’t see how that’s the case. She’s a very good looking player. Anyhow, her impending decision is very interesting, primarily because a couple SEC rivals, and a school up north are amongst her five. The thought that she, and then Miss Deberry, might play for that same school could make also-rans of the rest of the field.
A very interesting couple of months ahead.
Cheers.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back