2020 Class Composite (No-ESPN)

Vols410

Hey everybody, time for another data-based recap...

Taking a deep dive into this class in the 247 composite is driving me nuts with the ESPN rankings being so terrible. I couldn't stand seeing Bailey as the 15 Pro-Style QB, Wideman/Hyatt as the #39/#50 WRs, Calloway as the #40 ATH, etc., so I made new composite scores for each member of the class using only 247 and Rivals.

For the players in the Rivals250 it was pretty straightforward to match up a composite score with the corresponding number from the 247 rankings, and for all the others I used the State/Position rankings to come up with a score for each then averaged them out to give them a composite value.

On a per-service level, just to see how much ESPN differs from the consensus, here is the average recruit per service, along with where each would rank in the composite:

Rivals: 91.02 // 8
247: 90.65 // 11
ESPN: 88.99 // 16

1581014265988.png

This takes us from 261.5 to 265.44 points in the composite, still good for the 10th spot, but the difference in average rating takes us from 11th to 9th (leaving out Albright for this exercise since he skews the results so much.)

Also, since we love to talk about blue-chip ratio... removing ESPN from the composite makes Beckwith and Slaughter composite 4-stars, bringing our blue-chip ratio for this class up to 65.2%, well above the 50% target, 8th in the country, and 5th in the conference ahead of Auburn and A&M.

And finally, since we're all wondering... according to these rankings, landing Evans would take us up to 7th in the NoESPN class rankings with 274.79 points (5th in the SEC, 2nd in the East) and 7th in average recruit at 91.18 (4th in the SEC, 2nd in the East.)

If you're curious, I went ahead and attached the summary in the zip file. Just an .xlsx file that includes all the rankings by source, and the team rankings with adjustments.

Attachments

• NoESPN Recruiting.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 31
Also, here are the top classes in average recruit for us for the past 15 years, Pruitt's in bold.

1. 2020 // 90.84
2. 2009 // 90.66
3. 2019 // 90.46
4. 2007 // 89.67
5. 2014 // 89.5

This year's 90.84 would be the highest since 2005 (91.33, and 4th ranked in the country), and the 2nd highest I could find for Tennessee in 247's history.

Last edited:

Taking a deep dive into this class in the 247 composite is driving me nuts with the ESPN rankings being so terrible. I couldn't stand seeing Bailey as the 15 Pro-Style QB, Wideman/Hyatt as the #39/#50 WRs, Calloway as the #40 ATH, etc., so I made new composite scores for each member of the class using only 247 and Rivals.

For the players in the Rivals250 it was pretty straightforward to match up a composite score with the corresponding number from the 247 rankings, and for all the others I used the State/Position rankings to come up with a score for each then averaged them out to give them a composite value.

On a per-service level, just to see how much ESPN differs from the consensus, here is the average recruit per service, along with where each would rank in the composite:

View attachment 259754

This takes us from 261.5 to 265.44 points in the composite, still good for the 10th spot, but the difference in average rating takes us from 11th to 9th (leaving out Albright for this exercise since he skews the results so much.)

Also, since we love to talk about blue-chip ratio... removing ESPN from the composite makes Beckwith and Slaughter composite 4-stars, bringing our blue-chip ratio for this class up to 65.2%, well above the 50% target, 8th in the country, and 5th in the conference ahead of Auburn and A&M.

And finally, since we're all wondering... according to these rankings, landing Evans would take us up to 7th in the NoESPN class rankings with 274.79 points (5th in the SEC, 2nd in the East) and 7th in average recruit at 91.18 (4th in the SEC, 2nd in the East.)

If you're curious, I went ahead and attached the summary in the zip file. Just an .xlsx file that includes all the rankings by source, and the team rankings with adjustments.

Totally impressed!
giphy-4.gif

View attachment 259754

Pretty cool stuff. The money ball meme in your Avi makes a lot of sense

Also, here are the top classes in average recruit for us for the past 15 years, Pruitt's in bold.

1. 2020 // 90.84
2. 2009 // 90.66
3. 2019// 90.46
4. 2007 // 89.67
5. 2014// 89.5

This year's 90.84 would be the highest since 2005 (91.33, and 4th ranked in the country), and the 2nd highest I could find for Tennessee in 247's history.
You’re not married, are you?😉
GBO!!

View attachment 259754

I'm curious how you determined the final class rankings without doing the same data manipulation for every team? I may be wrong but I only see Tennessee players adjusted without their ESPN rankings. Did you do this for every player and then rank every team or did you only adjust the Vols and then compare them to the other teams with their players keeping their ESPN rankings? If you only did the Vols then really this doesn't mean anything in terms of class rankings overall or in conference does it?

Thanks for providing this info and I'm looking forward to your response.

Go Vols

I'm curious how you determined the final class rankings without doing the same data manipulation for every team? I may be wrong but I only see Tennessee players adjusted without their ESPN rankings. Did you do this for every player and then rank every team or did you only adjust the Vols and then compare them to the other teams with their players keeping their ESPN rankings? If you only did the Vols then really this doesn't mean anything in terms of class rankings overall or in conference does it?

Go Vols
It looks like most of the top 10 on ESPN is about the same as 247 and rivals. We seem to be one of the only outliers. So adjusting for other teams probably wouldn't affect their scores much. Granted I just glanced so may be wrong. Nb4 ESPN hates us.

Reactions: Vols410
This is great--thanks for taking time to put this together!

On a side note, ESPN should just buy 247Sports--they are so bad at recruiting, it's hard to watch their ad hoc recruiting coverage or signing day specials. Would be a game-changer to see actual recruiting insiders on ESPNU weekly.

It looks like most of the top 10 on ESPN is about the same as 247 and rivals. We seem to be one of the only outliers. So adjusting for other teams probably wouldn't affect their scores much. Granted I just glanced so may be wrong. Nb4 ESPN hates us.
Cool, I hadn't looked at ESPN so I didn't know.

Reactions: Sleegro
Cool, I hadn't looked at ESPN so I didn't know.
Looks like 247 composite top 10 and ESPN top 10 are nearly identical except for rearranging the top 3 and Tennessee being 8 spots lower on ESPN. So no real need to factor ESPN out of the other teams for this exercise. hahahaha

Reactions: Vols410 and Ty4Vols
Looks like 247 composite top 10 and ESPN top 10 are nearly identical except for rearranging the top 3 and Tennessee being 8 spots lower on ESPN. So no real need to factor ESPN out of the other teams for this exercise. hahahaha
There is a definite "one of these things is not like the other" going on. It all makes sense now. When I read the OP I loved the data but my analytical side kicked in. Especially since I was in the dark about how far off our team was on ESPN and it was the singular anomaly.

Great work OP. Some of us love this data so it's much appreciated. I've already downloaded it and sent it to a few friends. Dont worry I didn't take the credit for your work!

Go Vols

There is a definite "one of these things is not like the other" going on. It all makes sense now. When I read the OP I loved the data but my analytical side kicked in. Especially since I was in the dark about how far off our team was on ESPN and it was the singular anomaly.

Great work OP. Some of us love this data so it's much appreciated. I've already downloaded it and sent it to a few friends. Dont worry I didn't take the credit for your work!

Go Vols
I had the same reaction till I went and looked at the differences. Haha.

Reactions: Vols410 and Ty4Vols

Go Vols
Glad you enjoyed it man. I absolutely love this stuff.

The posters that responded were pretty much in line with my line of thinking, but I'll add one more point too. I think the biggest difference between ESPN and the other sites is the updates. 247/Rivals continue to evaluate during the year and ESPN basically drops rankings early and forgets about it. We've all heard a ton about Pruitt's value of senior tape, and his finding those late risers has really helped us in 247/Rivals and left us behind on ESPN in a way that is nowhere near as dramatic for other teams. I might replicate this for the rest of the SEC to see how things shake out.

View attachment 259754

Nice nerd work here.

I'll pay attention to the first recruiting service who gives rankings according to the holes in the playing roster being filled. Until then...

Seems like we say that every year. Rivals always seems to rate us higher.

Vols are a significant subscription base for them. It’s not the main reason but i imagine it could play a role.

VN Store

Back