2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
Let me approach this a different way....how about the time Shroudt ran out of bounds one yard short of a first down vs SC when he could’ve tucked his shoulder and picked up the extra 1 yard we needed, vs the time JG tucked his shoulder and got extra yards to seal the game vs Kentucky...
Agree. Freshman mistake vs RS Junior experience. Bad call by Shrout. He took the sissy decision. Same can be said of Maurer and some of his throwing decisions.....freshman mistakes.

I'm not sure what that has to do with JG passing ability though.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I very well can say that. He looked awful during that game. Injury or no injury, it made no difference to anyone. No one cares if someone is hurt or not, it’s W&Ls. I just don’t understand the Maurer hype. He was 35-75, 541 yards, 2 TD, 5 INTs last year. That’s not anywhere near good..
I personally don’t understand the hate. Yes his PASSING stats were 2 tds/5 ints if we disregarded his rushing tds. Two of those ints were gifts from OUR receivers and one of those was literally two plays later after landing on his head. Some would say Cheney maybe shouldn’t have called a pass play in that situation especially when he fell for no reason on a handoff the play after. He should’ve been on the sideline getting checked out imo. So with all that being said, we’re hating on the kid (a freshman qb) for two reasons. 1) 2 bad decisions and 2) the fact that he wasn’t given the opportunity to redeem himself via injury or coaches decision.

Agree. Freshman mistake vs RS Junior experience. Bad call by Shrout. He took the sissy decision. Same can be said of Maurer and some of his throwing decisions.....freshman mistakes.

I'm not sure what that has to do with JG passing ability though.
It has to do with picking and choosing particular plays. Anyone can do that for any player. That’s all I’m saying.

I personally don’t understand the hate. Yes his PASSING stats were 2 tds/5 ints if we disregarded his rushing tds. Two of those ints were gifts from OUR receivers and one of those was literally two plays later after landing on his head. Some would say Cheney maybe shouldn’t have called a pass play in that situation especially when he fell for no reason on a handoff the play after. He should’ve been on the sideline getting checked out imo. So with all that being said, we’re hating on the kid (a freshman qb) for two reasons. 1) 2 bad decisions and 2) the fact that he wasn’t given the opportunity to redeem himself via injury or coaches decision.
You think Maurer only made two bad decisions all year? I’m not covering for JG, personally I think he was out best option last year, overall. I don’t think he’s great or can get us where we all want to be, I just don’t think Maurer can either. Or Shroudt.

I very well can say that. He looked awful during that game. Injury or no injury, it made no difference to anyone. No one cares if someone is hurt or not, it’s W&Ls. I just don’t understand the Maurer hype. He was 35-75, 541 yards, 2 TD, 5 INTs last year. That’s not anywhere near good..

He doesn't need to be good. He came in running around like an excited puppy so some fans fell in love with him and his "moxie."

Reactions: ScottyP5
Yes PASSING STATS would disregard rushing. They are passing stats.

He wasn't good passing except for a handful of plays this year. When he dropped back to pass it was a bad outcome for UT 75% of the time.

You think Maurer only made two bad decisions all year? I’m not covering for JG, personally I think he was out best option last year, overall. I don’t think he’s great or can get us where we all want to be, I just don’t think Maurer can either. Or Shroudt.
No, he made more bad decisions that he didn’t pay for. As did JG, Bo Nix, Joe Burrow and so on. It’s part of the game and especially a part of development for freshman. However one defense I have despite his mistakes is he was the most effective on 3rd down.

Yes PASSING STATS would disregard rushing. They are passing stats.

He wasn't good passing except for a handful of plays this year. When he dropped back to pass it was a bad outcome for UT 75% of the time.
Whatever KTown..... you’re a known hater and it shows. He was at his best on 3rd downs so your argument is nil.

Whatever KTown..... you’re a known hater and it shows. He was at his best on 3rd downs so your argument is nil.
I don't even see the point in constantly bickering over it anymore. Maurer isn't going to get it done here and probably wont be at Tennessee much longer. He is almost certainly going to leave before next season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Fine. I'll go ahead and say it.

Harrison Bailey is already a better QB than
Jarret "The Goods" Gaurantano.

So is Brian Maurer. Yes.

But neither one will start over "No Apologies " Gaurantano to open the season.

I don't even see the point in constantly bickering over it anymore. Maurer isn't going to get it done here and probably wont be at Tennessee much longer. He is almost certainly going to leave before next season.

Great point.

Fine. I'll go ahead and say it.

Harrison Bailey is already a better QB than
Jarret "The Goods" Gaurantano.

So is Brian Maurer. Yes.

But neither one will start over "No Apologies " Gaurantano to open the season.
We will see about Bailey. We all hope he is right away.

We know JG is better than Maurer. No sane person can say otherwise.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
No, he made more bad decisions that he didn’t pay for. As did JG, Bo Nix, Joe Burrow and so on. It’s part of the game and especially a part of development for freshman. However one defense I have despite his mistakes is he was the most effective on 3rd down.
Dude what is this mythical great third down performance you keep talking about?

And how was he better than JG?

He was terrible on third downs,

Here are third down stats for both.

Bm
11/24 45.8% 172 yds 7.2 ypa 0tds 3 ints qb rating 81

JG
51/76 67.1% 698 yds 9.2 ypa 6tds 5ints qb rating 157.1

Most effective on third down when? Compared to whom? Not the other qbs at UT or in the SEC.

If he was at his best on third that shows you how bad he was last year.

And you’ve always seemed the type that will eat your crow when/if the time comes.

Bm

JG

Most effective on third down when? Compared to whom? Not the other qbs at UT or in the SEC.

Idk where you get these stats from dude. Go back and WATCH THE GAMES! It’ll serve you well. There’s no way in hell he was only 45% on third. 45% doesn’t even explain how he moved the offense between the 20s. And now that that’s been brought up, NO ONE moved the offense better than Maurer and that’s not even debatable.

Being a Top-5 QB in the SEC likely won’t be saying much for next season. There isn’t going to be loads of talent in the conference at that position.

But, no matter how you try to slice, dice or do whatever to the offensive numbers from last season, the truth is that the offense wasn’t very good. And that is reflected in the failure to score points. Most, if not all, of those late-season wins were produced by the defense.

Lack of consistent QB play was a big reason for the ineptitude on offense. I don’t dislike JG or any of the QBs. But, for this team to do anything at all, we need a whole lot more from that position going forward.

Idk where you get these stats from dude. Go back and WATCH THE GAMES! It’ll serve you well. There’s no way in hell he was only 45% on third. 45% doesn’t even explain how he moved the offense between the 20s. And now that that’s been brought up, NO ONE moved the offense better than Maurer and that’s not even debatable.
Lol, now the stats are wrong because your eyes tell you different? You're a joke kid, you must be.

Reactions: k-town_king
Without JG, we lose to Kentucky, Missouri, and possibly SC last year...
We certainly lose to Auburn in 2018.

In which game would we have won, that we didn’t, if Maurer or Shroudt had played the entire game?
I do not accept your theory that we lose the three games mentioned in your post.

Reactions: EZE
Let me approach this a different way....how about the time Shroudt ran out of bounds one yard short of a first down vs SC when he could’ve tucked his shoulder and picked up the extra 1 yard we needed, vs the time JG tucked his shoulder and got extra yards to seal the game vs Kentucky...
Lol-One example? There are dozens,perhaps hundreds of plays that VN members can point out where JG did not look like an average SEC Qb.

Bm

JG

And btw I don’t give a rats ass about your “stats” when I’ve already explained the truth. Haters want to hold him responsible for 2 tds/ 5 ints but not once have you faced the truth of how those “stats” came to be. Those “stats” wouldn’t have looked like that if Pruitt had made the right decision to begin with entering the season. Where’s his blame? Or do we need to dig up the “fire Pruitt” threads back when people were holding HIM responsible for his own mistakes? Those “stats” would’ve read COMPLETELY different if Maurer were given the same leash JG was gifted after making mistakes. As a result of THE TRUTH. Those “stats” mean chit. Simple as that dude....... run along. You’re out of your league.

Great point.

We will see about Bailey. We all hope he is right away.

We know JG is better than Maurer. No sane person can say otherwise.
I say it is possible. The bar has been set low.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

Sorry, but you are really reaching.

Plus, your argument is a red herring, anyhow. Just because JG might be better than the other QBs from last season’s team (and that is debatable)...does not in any way prove where he stands against other QBs in the conference.

The bottom line is that he has to improve, because we need way more from that position than we got last season.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
And btw I don’t give a rats ass about your “stats” when I’ve already explained the truth. Haters want to hold him responsible for 2 tds/ 5 ints but not once have you faced the truth of how those “stats” came to be. Those “stats” wouldn’t have looked like that if Pruitt had made the right decision to begin with entering the season. Where’s his blame? Or do we need to dig up the “fire Pruitt” threads back when people were holding HIM responsible for his own mistakes? Those “stats” would’ve read COMPLETELY different if Maurer were given the same leash JG was gifted after making mistakes. As a result of THE TRUTH. Those “stats” mean chit. Simple as that dude....... run along. You’re out of your league.
Lol, you must be trolling now. Let it be known, in the game of football stats don't matter according to this guy.

Lol, now the stats are wrong because your eyes tell you different? You're a joke kid, you must be.
I’ve said this before..... the eyes tell you a completely different story than the stats do. That offense MOVED nearly at will with Maurer. It was much more explosive and the team had more fire. Im not arguing that the stats are wrong at all. I’m arguing that they don’t represent the truth of what REALLY took place. He wasn’t a 47% passer as the stats suggest. He was already “behind the 8 ball” at 4/13 (or 25%%) before he was ever prepared to play a game. To reach 47% from there he had to be much better than his stats suggest huh? Like around 55-60% in his next 60 passes right? So yes...... I’m saying they’re misleading. Not wrong. You have to be a realist to face the WHOLE truth rather than cherry pick what fits your agenda to understand.

VN Store

Back