2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
So if not from the noise, how would the presence of spectators contribute "more pressure"?

Unless he just can't perform well with an audience, and if that's been the root cause all along, then he definitely shouldn't see the field again.

You must like to argue. You honestly don’t think large crowds don’t create pressure?

I hope fans are allowed. I don’t think JG is a pro caliber QB so I don’t worry how it looks to pro scouts. Honestly, I just want us to beat someone we aren’t expected to beat, trying to find anything that makes me feel better.
Maybe that’s the side of me that hopes hes able to overcome. The kid deserves at least a chance to make it. I think he’s capable and NEEDS to beat one or 2 teams we’re not supposed to with his own talent for that to happen. If he starts like he did last year, as much as I hate it for him, it’s time to move onto someone young and promising.

Reactions: OldandStillaVol
Maybe that’s the side of me that hopes hes able to overcome. The kid deserves at least a chance to make it. I think he’s capable and NEEDS to beat one or 2 teams we’re not supposed to with his own talent for that to happen. If he starts like he did last year, as much as I hate it for him, it’s time to move onto someone young and promising.

Agree. But like you said, if he struggles in the losses and we are 2-2, I think we should move on. I am assuming that he will be given the starting role at Game 1.

Didnt realize that tommy stevens from Mississippi st...got drafted...

Given that i dont see how anyone beside the JG cult thought he was a good sec qb.

You must like to argue. You honestly don’t think large crowds don’t create pressure?

For a DI college QB, as a RS senior, whose home stadium is one of the highest capacity in the nation, and who has been playing football his entire life?

No, I don't think that "crowd pressure" is a viable excuse for JG.

Last edited:

Given that i dont see how anyone beside the JG cult thought he was a good sec qb.

He was not good last year. The Saints drafted him as another Taysom Hill swiss army knife, not a typically QB.

You do realize you just proved the point that JG is not nearly as bad as the neverJG folks make him out to be. Not a single JG apologist would state that Stevens was a good QB last year, not one would rate him top half in the league because his performance and stats show that he was bottom tier. You really make no point at all.

Reactions: k-town_king
You do realize you just proved the point that JG is not nearly as bad as the neverJG folks make him out to be. Not a single JG apologist would state that Stevens was a good QB last year, not one would rate him top half in the league because his performance and stats show that he was bottom tier. You really make no point at all.

So if Stevens was not a top half QB. YET NFL scouts thought he was better then JG. Then wouldnt that put JG performance below that of Stevens?? Thus being in the bottom half of sec QBs

The Indiana game cemented his legacy that he will not be the Qb who can beat the upper tier teams in the SEC regardless of an influx of talent at other positions.
Good for you, glad that's your take, at least you'll know the weekends you can do something other than watch and root for the Vols.

With the exception of one or perhaps two games those 8 wins from last season were in spite of JG's play not because of it.
Chatt, UAB, USCjrs, Mizz, Ky, Miss St
I'd say that he did enough in all of those games, he also played pretty good down the stretch in a 4th quarter come from behind win vs a good Indiana team. Anytime you come from behind to win the game in a do or die drive is a good thing, to many it's even a sign of good QB play, you'd probably be surprised that it's a big kept stat for professional QBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdk4121
I've never doubted his toughness or grit. I just don't think he has the mental stamina to handle the rigors of SEC football and lead the team to the next level. He can't check down. He stares at the receiver too often. He can't throw to a receiver in stride consistently.
We'll see, the neverJG crowd says he can't, I believe he'll have a pretty good season. My take is that having half the fanbase calling for his head isn't working so why don't we try something new and everyone cheer the kid? I'm guessing that you liked the movie Hoosiers, one of the best lines in the movie is when the student section is chanting for Jimmy when he's not introduced in front of the students at a pep rally, the coach storms the floor and demands that they respect the ones there and putting in the the work, "This is your team..." he sternly says. I wonder if Coach Pruitt feels the same way about his roster and the neverJG guys take on how he handles who plays and when.

I’ll be watching the Vols win every weekend with a Qb not referred to as JG.
Sounds like you're gonna be miserable to be around for a few games then, happy for you that you can still enjoy the games that JG plays even though you hate looking at him on the field. Once again, good for you as I couldn't do it if I hated a #VFL so much.

Sounds like you're gonna be miserable to be around for a few games then, happy for you that you can still enjoy the games that JG plays even though you hate looking at him on the field. Once again, good for you as I couldn't do it if I hated a #VFL so much.
35 year Vol fan. I just recognize the inability of JG to produce as much as the rest of the players wearing orange. I’m almost certain one of the Qb’s on the roster will beat out JG.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
He really needs some practice, not having spring practice did not serve him well. Maybe, he has enough protection this year to give him some extra time since throwing the ball quick isn't his forte. I don't know, he's so up and down, to be honest, I expect the same this year. Just hoping we have a QB that shows up and shows out, regardless of who that is. Wishing them ALL the best! GBO!!

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
He really needs some practice, not having spring practice did not serve him well. Maybe, he has enough protection this year to give him some extra time since throwing the ball quick isn't his forte. I don't know, he's so up and down, to be honest, I expect the same this year. Just hoping we have a QB that shows up and shows out, regardless of who that is. Wishing them ALL the best! GBO!!
I like this post. A lot. It is what so many on here want to say and feel.

I hope JG comes out and has a Crompton type transformation. So far, we've had over two years of watching him play and we've not seen anything consistent to make us think he will.

I hope he proves me wrong. I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Sara Clark
We'll see, the neverJG crowd says he can't, I believe he'll have a pretty good season. My take is that having half the fanbase calling for his head isn't working so why don't we try something new and everyone cheer the kid? I'm guessing that you liked the movie Hoosiers, one of the best lines in the movie is when the student section is chanting for Jimmy when he's not introduced in front of the students at a pep rally, the coach storms the floor and demands that they respect the ones there and putting in the the work, "This is your team..." he sternly says. I wonder if Coach Pruitt feels the same way about his roster and the neverJG guys take on how he handles who plays and when.
If JG starts, and he comes out gun slinging and lighting it up, the tune of everyone on here will change including his most devout critics. Most are stating they have over two years of evidence and no significant progress. Actually, it appears to be regression at times. So their doubt in JG, myself included, is warranted.

I hope he proves all is nay-sayers wrong. I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

One of the toughest kids I've ever seen play the position. Unfortunately, he has had to be. And of his own doing. Wish the kid well. But I just don't see the light turning on at this point. Sure hope he's concentrated on his academics.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back