2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
Still waiting for K-Town to address why he essentially has discredited the entire rest of the team and coaches by saying JG led the team to 8 wins.

If it wasn't for stellar defensive improvement and special teams, TN would have lost 2-4 more games, easy. If not more.

I guess when you can't argue a point, you just ignore. It's why the vast majority of the board views you the way they do.
I agree 100%. The defense and special teams stepped up in those wins. Even Kentucky. Given how they started in the first half it looked like we were in for a long day no matter who the qb was.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
If the defense gets credit for all of those wins then why don't you credit them for losses vs teams like Ga St, Vandy and blowout losses to our 3 big rivals. The point you make is valid, you need all aspects of the team to play well in order to win in the SEC, I think that's why some of us take up for JG because he is not the sole reason for the Vols struggles the last few seasons and takes too much criticism for his actual play and production.

Brent Cimaglia was directly responsible for 8 more points scored with 104 on the season, than JG who was sub-100 with 96.

NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com

To paint his 2019 performance as "leading the team to 8 wins" is just laughable.

Shhhhh. Tis a secret.

I honestly think bailey will pass maurer on the depth chart before the season starts.
A lot of people do but let’s be honest. It’s ONLY because of his rank coming out of Hs. No one knows much more about him. Unless someone can point out something specific that he rivals Maurer in I’ll continue to believe that Maurer has a good of a shot as any. Right now, I think HBs best chance to beat out Maurer is in football IQ and even that just depends on how hard Maurer is hitting the playbook/film room. Outside of that Maurer is just more “physically” talented due to his running abilities.

If the defense gets credit for all of those wins then why don't you credit them for losses vs teams like Ga St, Vandy and blowout losses to our 3 big rivals. The point you make is valid, you need all aspects of the team to play well in order to win in the SEC, I think that's why some of us take up for JG because he is not the sole reason for the Vols struggles the last few seasons and takes too much criticism for his actual play and production.

Absolutely agree that the defense gets criticism for allowing Georgia State to score 38 points. But they weren't the sole reason. Interceptions put the defense in bad spots. I blame coaching more than anyone for this game.

Defense gave up a terrible play in BYU game, but the offense should've had 10-20 more points on the board, easy. The play at the end wouldn't have mattered. Still shouldn't have happened though. Again, coaching takes brunt of blame.

But nobody is saying the defense led the team to it's wins. But saying JG led the team to 8 wins is asinine. It's not even remotely an accurate statement. TN got to 8 wins due to special teams, defense and better RB play at the end. JG had some good moments, but he is consistently not a weapon on our offense.

Some of y'all don't take up for JG. You rely too much on stats and try to argue how great he is, when the reality is, the team found ways to win in spite of JG's poor play

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
My overall defense of him is simple. He did what he did to UGA on raw talent and limited prep. MSU is the mistakes you’d expect a freshman to make so I’m more concentrated on what he did otherwise and THAT was impressive. Then it was Bama time and he was having his way with them as well until Saban felt he was better off playing against JG. Like I said, I like JG but there’s a reason Saban did what he did and it was clear that LB hit Brian in the ear hole with the crown of his helmet. Then after the play the LB came off the field. Personally I feel like the rouge play of JGs in that game was due to the pressure Maurer was putting on him. I think JG felt like “I can score the same way Maurer did” and it backfired. Point is the competition was much closer than advertised and it showed on the field in different ways. As it should because they are both very different qbs. I think it’s obvious that Chaney had more confidence in Maurer than advertised due to the stats that you yourself brought up just yesterday. Vs UK BM had 16 pass attempts in less than 9 min of play vs JGs 8 in a half. All I’m saying is counting Maurer out is based solely on opinions and not fact. The only FACT we know is we have a really good qb room and we won’t keep them all. Let’s hope for UTs sake that CJP chooses the right one.

He did what he did to GA based on them completely selling out on the run and not even dreaming he would try to pass. Then when any team somewhat played the pass as well as the run he could not throw a td.

Still waiting for K-Town to address why he essentially has discredited the entire rest of the team and coaches by saying JG led the team to 8 wins.

If it wasn't for stellar defensive improvement and special teams, TN would have lost 2-4 more games, easy. If not more.

I guess when you can't argue a point, you just ignore. It's why the vast majority of the board views you the way they do.

I'm a busy man. I can't address all of you jokers every single post.

But . . .

Lead does not mean solely responsible for the wins. He was the leader in each win. The team leaned on his leadership as acknowledged by the players and those who cover the team.

Also if the defense plays better we win 2-3 more games easily. That works both ways. The d definitely lost two games the O with Jg did enough to win. GSU and BYU

Where did I say he didn't contribute? How much of a contribution is highly debatable, but his performance didn't "lead the team to those victories." That's a fact.
Lead us to comebacks in several. Put up good numbers to put us up in several. The team looks to him as one oft he main leaders.

Wrong like usual.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
He did what he did to GA based on them completely selling out on the run and not even dreaming he would try to pass. Then when any team somewhat played the pass as well as the run he could not throw a td.

But . . .

Lead does not mean solely responsible for the wins. He was the leader in each win. The team leaned on his leadership as acknowledged by the players and those who cover the team.

Also if the defense plays better we win 2-3 more games easily. That works both ways. The d definitely lost two games the O with Jg did enough to win. GSU and BYU

Lead us to comebacks in several. Put up good numbers to put us up in several. The team looks to him as one oft he main leaders.

Wrong like usual.
You do realize Georgia State scored 10 points off JG turnovers. Although JG was only credited with one Int. The first TO of the game was a direct result of JG launching the ball as hard as he could for a 5 yard swing pass. Take those points away, TN wins.

JG should have "led" the team to more points in the BYU game versus a vastly inferior defense. There is no spinning that.

TN had a (slim) shot of upsetting Bama, until JG went rogue and put the final nail in TNs coffin that game.

Keep trying. Its actually a bit sad.

Your post proves my point....you can't be rational in a discussion. However you spin it, JG did not lead the team to 8 wins. Nothing about the teams play shows they look to him for "leadership". He crumbles on the big stage.

Last edited:

But . . .

Wrong like usual.
You seriously need to watch the games. They were playing pass on the MC td as well as the JJ td. Remember.... the safety bit on the dbl move and got burned over the top. Wouldn’t have mattered anyway tbh because there is no defense for a prefect pass and that was pinpoint.

Then he hit JJ on a slot seam between the corner and safety. Again.... nothing they could do because of the timing.

But you’re right.... he struggled in the red zone. HE WAS A FRESHMAN! Give him time and he’ll get better. Expecting him to be a senior Joe Burrow or he’s trash is just the kind of formula it takes to cook up a program that NEVER has a good qb.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="k-town_king, post: 18265078, member: 19585"]He did what he did to GA based on them completely selling out on the run and not even dreaming he would try to pass. Then when any team somewhat played the pass as well as the run he could not throw a td.

But . . .

Wrong like usual.
You seriously need to watch the games. They were playing pass on the MC td as well as the JJ td. Remember.... the safety bit on the dbl move and got burned over the top. Wouldn’t have mattered anyway tbh because there is no defense for a prefect pass and that was pinpoint.

Then he hit JJ on a slot seam between the corner and safety. Again.... nothing they could do because of the timing.

But you’re right.... he struggled in the red zone. HE WAS A FRESHMAN! Give him time and he’ll get better. Expecting him to be a senior Joe Burrow or he’s trash is just the kind of formula it takes to cook up a program that NEVER has a good qb.[/QUOTE]
He has potential. He was the second best qb who played last year. I will leave it at that.

Wrong like usual.

JG 2nd half scoring in non-blow-out wins
Mississippi State: 1 TD
USCE: 1TD
Kentucky: 2 TD
Vandy: 0 TD
Indiana: 0 TD

Divorced from reality as usual.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
You do realize Georgia State scored 10 points off JG turnovers. Although JG was only credited with one Int. The first TO of the game was a direct result of JG launching the ball as hard as he could for a 5 yard swing pass. Take those points away, TN wins.

JG should have "led" the team to more points in the BYU game versus a vastly inferior defense. There is no spinning that.

TN had a (slim) shot of upsetting Bama, until JG went rogue and put the final nail in TNs coffin that game.

Keep trying. Its actually a bit sad.

Your post proves my point....you can't be rational in a discussion. However you spin it, JG did not lead the team to 8 wins. Nothing about the teams play shows they look to him for "leadership". He crumbles on the big stage.
The nail in the coffin vs Alabama was the roughing the QB call on Taylor. Go back and watch when it happened, it had a much larger effect on the outcome of the game than JGs major screw up. We were about to get the ball down just 1 score headed into the 4th quarter with all of the momentum on our side and their offense looking awful. After the penalty, Bama changed strategies and ran the ball straight down our throats the rest of that series to go up 2 scores early in the 4th. Game was over after that, it was for sure over after JGs gaff.

The nail in the coffin vs Alabama was the roughing the QB call on Taylor. Go back and watch when it happened, it had a much larger effect on the outcome of the game than JGs major screw up. We were about to get the ball down just 1 score headed into the 4th quarter with all of the momentum on our side and their offense looking awful. After the penalty, Bama changed strategies and ran the ball straight down our throats the rest of that series to go up 2 scores early in the 4th. Game was over after that, it was for sure over after JGs gaff.
Easily the worst call of the year by the refs It was a terrible, game changing call. But the game was still not over. It was when JG went rogue. A leader doesn't do that. He trusts his coaches. He trusts his team.

JG wanted to be the savior. Because of how he was viewed by the fans, by the coaches, by his team. It royally backfired.

Easily the worst call of the year by the refs It was a terrible, game changing call. But the game was still not over. It was when JG went rogue. A leader doesn't do that. He trusts his coaches. He trusts his team.

JG wanted to be the savior. Because of how he was viewed by the fans, by the coaches, by his team. It royally backfired.
I think in the end it helped us as a team. He was rightfully benched but he never quit nor did the team. Who knows what would have happened had he given up right there, I'm not sure we finish the season like we did and who knows what would have happened to our recruiting had we finished poorly.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I think in the end it helped us as a team. He was rightfully benched but he never quit nor did the team. Who knows what would have happened had he given up right there, I'm not sure we finish the season like we did and who knows what would have happened to our recruiting had we finished poorly.
I've never doubted his toughness or grit. I just don't think he has the mental stamina to handle the rigors of SEC football and lead the team to the next level. He can't check down. He stares at the receiver too often. He can't throw to a receiver in stride consistently.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Nobody is trying to polish JG, how is saying JG was top half of the conference because his stats say so saying he's a great QB? He's what his stats say he was last year, top 5-7 in the league in most relevant stats. He didn't have a good year, so maybe that's why he was just top half and not top 3. You trying to continuously dump on the kid by saying he's terrible just because you say so and then you can't produce evidence that he's not top half of the league is weird to me when you can clearly see the stats layed out in front of you. You neverJG guys are on record saying we've reached our ceiling with JG and won't win but 8 max because of it, I simply disagree with that and believe we'll have a good year and JG will play a role in that.
The Indiana game cemented his legacy that he will not be the Qb who can beat the upper tier teams in the SEC regardless of an influx of talent at other positions.

If the first 4 games are played with no fans, that may help JG. Two of those games are automatic wins. At OU will be tough but if there aren't fans booing him, he may be better. Playing UF at home without fans would be strange but its not like we have been dominating them at home. I don't want the 'no fans scenario' but maybe it helps JG to not tighten up.

If the first 4 games are played with no fans, that may help JG. Two of those games are automatic wins. At OU will be tough but if there aren't fans booing him, he may be better. Playing UF at home without fans would be strange but its not like we have been dominating them at home. I don't want the 'no fans scenario' but maybe it helps JG to not tighten up.

When was it established that JG's issues stem from crowd noise?

I feel like that could possibly be the worst thing that could happen for him to play well without fans. How would that look to pro scouts to beat OU and/or Florida proving the audience is the problem? I hope for his case as well as ours that fans are allowed, at least to some capacity.

I feel like that could possibly be the worst thing that could happen for him to play well without fans. How would that look to pro scouts to beat OU and/or Florida proving the audience is the problem? I hope for his case as well as ours that fans are allowed, at least to some capacity.

I hope fans are allowed. I don’t think JG is a pro caliber QB so I don’t worry how it looks to pro scouts. Honestly, I just want us to beat someone we aren’t expected to beat, trying to find anything that makes me feel better.

Not crowd noise per se but he seems to tighten up with more pressure.

So if not from the noise, how would the presence of spectators contribute "more pressure"?

Unless he just can't perform well with an audience, and if that's been the root cause all along, then he definitely shouldn't see the field again.

VN Store

Back