2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
You haven't "schooled" anyone on anything. And you still persist in moronically ignoring the FACT that "QBR" literally stands for "Quarterback Rating". Nothing else you posted is really relevant since I stated clearly that there were several methods for calculating QBR.
I'm sure it would "matter" and be completely legitimate if it reflected well on your narrative.

You recognize the flaw in the other way because it doesn't suit you... but you ignore the flaw in the "traditional" method because it suits you. As previously noted, you cherry pick. If those were reversed... your position would be the opposite.

[ Neither is infallible. Both, like all statistics, have to be viewed in context and with respect to overall results. JG is not effective in leading the O to points. Nothing Maurer did or in a QBR calculation changes that.

No you haven't. Are you really that delusional? I posted these facts and you became a ghost only to return later as if it never happened. That's been a pretty typical tactic by you when you cannot escape being WRONG.

Notably... now you LIKE ESPN's QBR? By the "traditional" QBR he was exactly what I said.... but that's only the "right" one when it says something YOU like, right?
When I say qb rating I DO NOT MEAN QBR. I mean actual true to life qb rating that has been the qb rating since football starter. Not QBR crap. I would say QBR or total qbr.

QBR is not short for Quarterback rating. It is short for Total Quarterback Rating.

How is Total QBR calculated? We explain our quarterback rating
Total quarterback rating - Wikipedia
Total quarterback rating (abbreviated as total QBR or simply QBR) is a proprietary statistic created by ESPN in 2011 to measure the performance of quarterbacks in American football.

Quarterback rating or passer rating are Quarterback rating.

Passer rating - Wikipedia
Passer rating (also known as quarterback rating, QB rating, or passing efficiency in college football) is a measure of the performance of passers, primarily quarterbacks, in gridiron football.

Either you are a dummy or won't admit when you are wrong. Even ESPN has QBR as total quarterback rating its own stat category and still have in passing stats the actual quarterback rating.

He wasn't as effective as anyone of us wants. He also was the most effective on the team by far and in the top half of the SEC.

When I say qb rating I DO NOT MEAN QBR. I mean actual true to life qb rating that has been the qb rating since football starter. Not QBR crap. I would say QBR or total qbr.

QBR is not short for Quarterback rating. It is short for Total Quarterback Rating.
You are now engaging in the very denial of the meaning of words. I'm satisfied to let you make a complete fool of yourself on this particular topic all by yourself. "QBR" stands for Quarterback Rating". It is a generic term. Several different versions exist.

He wasn't as effective as anyone of us wants. He also was the most effective on the team by far
Setting the bar for a RS Jr by a true Fr who had 6 RZ attempts vs 51 for JG ... is pretty ridiculous. But ridiculous is pretty much all you have.

and in the top half of the SEC.
Simply put. No. He wasn't. According to cfbstats.com which uses the traditional method you claim to favor, JG was 13th in the SEC in RZ QBR.... and 18th in RZ completion percentage. He was outside the top 100 nationally.

Six of the 11 SEC QB's below him were freshmen and two more played for Arkansas. Two Fr were WAY above him. Bo Nix was only .59 behind him. Any way you slice it or dice it... he wasn't effective when situations required anticipation and quick reads/reactions.

You are now engaging in the very denial of the meaning of words. I'm satisfied to let you make a complete fool of yourself on this particular topic all by yourself. "QBR" stands for Quarterback Rating". It is a generic term. Several different versions exist.

Setting the bar for a RS Jr by a true Fr who had 6 RZ attempts vs 51 for JG ... is pretty ridiculous. But ridiculous is pretty much all you have.

Simply put. No. He wasn't. According to cfbstats.com which uses the traditional method you claim to favor, JG was 13th in the SEC in RZ QBR.... and 18th in RZ completion percentage. He was outside the top 100 nationally.

Six of the 11 SEC QB's below him were freshmen and two more played for Arkansas. Two Fr were WAY above him. Bo Nix was only .59 behind him. Any way you slice it or dice it... he wasn't effective when situations required anticipation and quick reads/reactions.
95% of the guys on cfbstats DO NOT QUALIFY due to low attempts. When you post ESPN or NCAA or Sports reference we can talk.

There are not several way to determine quarterback rating.

There is one. It is the formula for quarterback rating.

There is a separate stat that was created by ESPN called QBR for short. It means TOTAL Quarterback Rating. I linked the wiki and ESPN article explaining it for you. You seem to not be able to follow. I guess you think ESPN doesn't know what their own made up stats means and that google and every internet site is wrong too huh?

Once more How is Total QBR calculated? We explain our quarterback rating
"ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating (Total QBR), which was released in 2011, has never claimed to be perfect"
Total quarterback rating - Wikipedia
"Total quarterback rating (abbreviated as total QBR or simply QBR) is a proprietary statistic created by ESPN in 2011"

Denial is not accepting what the literal definition of a word is. I posted links to QBR (total quarterback rating) and Qb rating ( quarterback rating or passer rating.)

Also you like QBR right? So JG was better than BM vs UGa going by this great formula of Total Quarterback Rating.

95% of the guys on cfbstats DO NOT QUALIFY due to low attempts. When you post ESPN or NCAA or Sports reference we can talk.
So ESPN is OK now that their method produces a result you like?

No. If you have something to compare then bring it. I'll prove my point... you can try to prove yours... though we both know you will lie and refuse to be consistent. I used a site that uses the method that YOU claim is the right one to use.... but when it proves something inconvenient to your narrative... you can't accept it. Can you?

So attempts don't matter when you claim that JG was "by far" better than Shrout and Maurer but they do matter when STARTERS with less attempts than JG had better numbers?

If you use the combined stats from other teams... JG is still no better than 8th in the SEC. That is HORRIBLE for one of the most experienced QB's in the conference last year.

Of the guys ahead of JG, only Emory Jones was not a starter and did not have 10 attempts in the RZ.

You are dishonest with the facts... all the time. You just are. You are trying to defend the indefensible and deny the undeniable.

There are not several way to determine quarterback rating.

Yes there are... and please continue to make an absolute FOOL of yourself. You are doing it so well that I could only mess it up by interjecting. Seriously the double-speak you're employing is high comedy... but pathetic at the same time.

Last edited:
How can anyone that watched the game agree with that? Seriously.
They can't. k-town just chose an exception where the calculation happened not to work well to dismiss a method that disagrees with his narrative. Probably because of JG's low attempts... which oddly k-town flips on later and claims that other stats aren't usable because of... attempts.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and 1vol8
The guy sucks. He's had three years and he still looks lost at game speed. I don't care if the ghost of Vince Lombardi and Red Grange come back to coach him, he is still going to cost the team more games through both indecision and stupid decisions. Why all these people believe that he is suddenly going to "get it" is beyond me. I will readily admit that I am not now nor have I ever been a football coach. That said though, I do know bad play when I see it.
I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt it.
JMHO

They can't. k-town just chose an exception where the calculation happened not to work well to dismiss a method that disagrees with his narrative. Probably because of JG's low attempts... which oddly k-town flips on later and claims that other stats aren't usable because of... attempts.
You are a funny little guy. I'm tired of schooling you for the day. I posted links. There is a reason one is listed in stats and has been in use for years.

Hey QBR says it is true. We all know proprietary stats that no one knows the formula to are great. Right?
This is why I’ve always argued that stats mean chit. The EYES tell you otherwise and I can’t think of a single set of eyes that would agree with JG outperforming Maurer vs UGA despite what QBR says. I know of Maurer haters that can’t even bring themselves to say that. In fact the only game that they both played significant time in that haters CAN bring themselves to say JG looked better was UK and that was Maurers first action in nearly a month and due to a lack of defensive performance Maurer only had 8 min of possession in the first half to prove his case after such a layoff.

Thats career numbers. Playing for 3 years. Nevermind the fact Joe Burrow almost doubled his TD numbers in one year of football than in JGs lifetime. Any top tier SEC QB throws for 30 in a season if theyre not running for 10-20 TDs.
Yes and Martin's career numbers were 32 TD and 16 INT.
Thats career numbers. Playing for 3 years. Nevermind the fact Joe Burrow almost doubled his TD numbers in one year of football than in JGs lifetime. Any top tier SEC QB throws for 30 in a season if theyre not running for 10-20 TDs.
I was comparing his numbers to Tee's career numbers. Tee only threw 12 TDs his senior year. And nobody was trying to compare JG to Joe Burrow.

You are a funny little guy. I'm tired of schooling you for the day. I posted links. There is a reason one is listed in stats and has been in use for years.
LOL. You are a joke. You complained about one guy's source so I gave you simple facts from a source using the method you say should be used. Stats have to be viewed in context with an understanding of their limitations. You do the opposite. You deny context and declare some infallible while dismissing others altogether.

So where are the stats that prove JG is one of the "best" in the SEC? I'm sure you've parsed them to a point where they're pretty much meaningless... but go ahead.

This is why I’ve always argued that stats mean chit.
Stats mean a lot but they're like a paint by numbers picture without the paint. They only have meaning when you apply them to life results. JG's "great" statistics heading into last year led to losing football and a completely ineffective O. His "stats" from this past season have to be tempered by the fact that his poor play caused the coaches to try two different Fr.

The EYES tell you otherwise and I can’t think of a single set of eyes that would agree with JG outperforming Maurer vs UGA despite what QBR says.
Not just the eyes. That method for calculating QBR doesn't account well for low attempts.

I know of Maurer haters that can’t even bring themselves to say that. In fact the only game that they both played significant time in that haters CAN bring themselves to say JG looked better was UK and that was Maurers first action in nearly a month and due to a lack of defensive performance Maurer only had 8 min of possession in the first half to prove his case after such a layoff.
And... it is necessary to go back to basic context. Maurer was a true Fr who wasn't ready. His readiness might have been made even worse by the fact that JG needed so much work and was not where he should be... a mentor for the young QB's. The coaches focused on trying to "fix" JG. Not necessarily an unreasonable choice... but it didn't help when Maurer and Shrout had to step in.

All these stats are just lovely. The thing is, when I watch him play, I just hate it. It is not pretty at all. So my opinion is he kinda sucks really bad. Not the worst ever, but not at all good either.
I second this. You can show me all his stats whether good or bad, but I watch him on Saturdays and to me hes around 10th best in the SEC. He shows up 3 games a year which does not make up for the other 9.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Stats mean a lot but they're like a paint by numbers picture without the paint. They only have meaning when you apply them to life results. JG's "great" statistics heading into last year led to losing football and a completely ineffective O. His "stats" from this past season have to be tempered by the fact that his poor play caused the coaches to try two different Fr.

Not just the eyes. That method for calculating QBR doesn't account well for low attempts.

And... it is necessary to go back to basic context. Maurer was a true Fr who wasn't ready. His readiness might have been made even worse by the fact that JG needed so much work and was not where he should be... a mentor for the young QB's. The coaches focused on trying to "fix" JG. Not necessarily an unreasonable choice... but it didn't help when Maurer and Shrout had to step in.
I agree stats matter but not to the extent that K town says they do. Watching the games vs only the box score is 2 totally different beasts and he needs to exercise his right to actually watch before comment. Hell...... most of the games are on YouTube and available for anyone to view at any time. He can start now if he likes.
The eyes told most that Maurer was much better than advertised by practice reports and the head coach. Does that make him “ready”? Absolutely not. How could he be in only 2 weeks of preparation? If he were “ready” Cheney could’ve adjusted in the second half vs UGA and we possibly could’ve won that game as evidenced by the first half lead.
Which brings me to my next point. Had CJP invested the time into Maurer rather than JG in the off season MAYBE Chaney/Maurer could’ve been ready to adjust in the second half of ANY game and who knows what could’ve happened. That’s where CJP failed last year and giving a freshman a mere 2 weeks to prepare for the best defenses in college football over a 3 week span is setting him up to fail....... only he didn’t. He out performed expectations formed by “hearsay”. But that’s just my opinion...... what do I know?

*ps..... in no way is my frustration directed at you. You’ve always been fair and it’s no secret that I have a lot of respect for you and your posts.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
He literally can not comprehend that qbr and quarterback rating are separate stats. It seems comprehension is a huge problem for some posters.
It’s actually QBR and passer rating. I understand what you’re getting at, but you’re actually not fully correct. I wouldn’t go bashing someone if you’re going to be inaccurate too my friend.

9. So 21 total TDs keeps him well below your level of 30 for elite QBs. If you're trying to convince me Tee was a great QB you have a tough road ahead

I didn't say 30 was the number for "elite", I'm just pointing out that he was responsible for more than just 12 TDs that year. JG has 1 rushing TD in 3 years.

I have a couple of thoughts after reading this thread.

1. I won't engage in an argument with K-town....it makes me feel like I'm picking on a special needs kid in school. He is way to infatuated with JG to be rational. It reminds me of those girls who become obsessed with convicted felons in prison. Simply Unnatural.

2. In regards to JGs potential for next year, I'll just say You can't spell "JG SUCKS" without JG.

This is why I’ve always argued that stats mean chit. The EYES tell you otherwise and I can’t think of a single set of eyes that would agree with JG outperforming Maurer vs UGA despite what QBR says. I know of Maurer haters that can’t even bring themselves to say that. In fact the only game that they both played significant time in that haters CAN bring themselves to say JG looked better was UK and that was Maurers first action in nearly a month and due to a lack of defensive performance Maurer only had 8 min of possession in the first half to prove his case after such a layoff.
JG looked better in every game but UGA.

QBR is bull though. It had JG higher vs UGA when that was the ONE game BM actually played ok.

I know why though. In actual game time that counted JG was 1/1 with a big completion. The last drive is considered garbage time and did not count as much.

JG looked better in every game but UGA.

QBR is bull though. It had JG higher vs UGA when that was the ONE game BM actually played ok.

I know why though. In actual game time that counted JG was 1/1 with a big completion. The last drive is considered garbage time and did not count as much.
What many people consider 90% of JG's playing time..

Reactions: Tnslim1 and jacvols
I have a couple of thoughts after reading this thread.

1. I won't engage in an argument with K-town....it makes me feel like I'm picking on a special needs kid in school. He is way to infatuated with JG to be rational. It reminds me of those girls who become obsessed with convicted felons in prison. Simply Unnatural.

2. In regards to JGs potential for next year, I'll just say You can't spell "JG SUCKS" without JG.
I wouldn't try to punch above my weight class either.

I second this. You can show me all his stats whether good or bad, but I watch him on Saturdays and to me hes around 10th best in the SEC. He shows up 3 games a year which does not make up for the other 9.

So you watch all the SEC games each week? I guess not if you think that.

It’s actually QBR and passer rating. I understand what you’re getting at, but you’re actually not fully correct. I wouldn’t go bashing someone if you’re going to be inaccurate too my friend.
Its quarterback rating or passer rating. It has always been referred to as quarterback rating.
Passer rating - Wikipedia
Passer rating (also known as quarterback rating, QB rating, or passing efficiency in college football) is a measure of the performance of passers

Quarterback rating always refers to passer rating or quarterback rating. Whatever term you prefer. It is never used when referring to QBR as he suggested. QBR does not stand for quarter back rating. ESPN who created it says it is Total Quarterback Rating. A completely different thing.

Here is ESPNs link to QBRs
2019 NFL Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN

Notice is says "NFL Total QBR"

Now here are passing stats from ESPN. Not that they have QBR and Rating side by side.
2019 NFL Player Passing Stats | ESPN

Separate stats. Qb rating is the traditional stat that has always been referenced when discussion the qb rating.

QBR is a new ESPN stat that is very flawed. You're welcome.

VN Store

Back