2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
So he isn't at the bottom or near the bottom in even one stat but he is at the bottom overall? What ranking is he at the bottom of if he isn't at the bottom of any rankings? That does not add up.

Arguably top five last year. Definitely top five this year.
Dude..you are cherry picking stats so no wonder your math isn't working.

2019 Player Statistics

You can click through the stats here, JG is never past midpoint
Statistics

2019 SEC Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN

etc..etc

Any site that gives the OVERALL picture of QB performance will have JG near the bottom.

Mark this post down. I am going to predict JG actually has a solid season with being under Chaney for 2 years and having a great O-Line. He has a ton of experience and I think he will actually surprise a lot of people this year. I hope I am right because if he is a top 5 SEC QB this year we will win 9-10 games.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Dude..you are cherry picking stats so no wonder your math isn't working.

2019 Player Statistics

You can click through the stats here, JG is never past midpoint
Statistics

2019 SEC Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN

etc..etc

Any site that gives the OVERALL picture of QB performance will have JG near the bottom.

Qb rating literally gives an overall picture of qb performance. He was fourth in the SEC.

QBR is and ESPN fabricated BS stat. Its horrible. Going by QBR JG had a better game against UGA than Maurer. Do you agree with that?

Even if midpoint was right that would make my case and not yours. Mid point is far from the bottom of the barrel. Middle of the SEC would be the 5-9 range.

I don't have to cherry pick. He was solidly in the 4/5-7 range. Arguably 4/5 depending on what you value. Not one metric backs up him being near the bottom of the SEC.

No.

He could only get there if the other QB's are bad.

Who knows if he could survive without Callaway and Jennings.

People brought up how Tim Hasselbeck broke him down perfectly in the bowl game. Staring down receivers, being late on throws.

Other than the technical aspect, I think the energy he brings is key.

When I watch him run the offense, everything is seems to move so slow. Its indecisive. No quick throws. Bogs our energy down. He is a game manager.

This QB situation is literally the same as what the Titans were dealing with before Tannehill saved them.

Mariota=inconsistent/weak arm/doesn't process reads well

JG=Inconsistent/weak arm/doesn't process reads well+a below average athlete

Too bad JG can't run like Mariota, then he for damn sure would be a top 5 SEC QB.

What did Titans fans say from 2016 til 2019?

"I think this year he will prove to be the franchise QB!"

"He's had a different coordinator every year!"

Matt Lefleur leaves for GB and Arthur Smith gets promoted from TE's coach. Basically runs the same offense.

"Finally he gets some consistency at offensive coordinator!"

Alas, the problems remain the same.

With Mariota and JG everything has to be executed perfectly all the time. Seems like the offensive coordinator had to hold their hand the whole time or something.

JG has experience and if this line is good then he should be bailed out by the run game with a lot of easy play action reads for him. Give him loads of time to sit in the pocket. I don't think he can do much better than manage the offense with a few good throws in there.

He also kinda reminds me of Kerry Collins with the Titans. Who I could not stand. So many horrible decisions, but one year he had two great running backs, a great defense and he game managed the Titans into a 13-3 record.

That is probably his ceiling this year. 2008 Kerry Collins.
Do we really want to roll like that all year? Can we beat one of the big 4 with a game manager (that has been disastrous at times) a good running game and a good defense?

Maybe JG in his second year with Chaney becomes a game manager that doesn't screw everything up and we do enough to maintain this great recruiting class.

Do we really want that though?

I don't think I do. I will trust the staff, but at this point I'd rather we let Maurer and Bailey get more reps. JG can always come in and game manage.

Maurer has a stronger arm. Maurer can run. Maurer gave this offense a tremendous amount of energy. Can he be taught to not force throws? Probably. If JG can benefit from a second year with Chaney, I'm sure he could too.

Bailey has all the tools apparently. Unfortunately he could be extra behind because he didn't have spring ball.

If we have a really good defense like we expect and a great offensive line giving us a good running game and gives the QB plenty of time in the pocket, then why not throw out the young guys? Let them develop.

He was arguably top five last year in the SEC so yea. Duh
No. He wasn't... for reasons we've covered a lot of times.

Ultimately, the object of the offense is to score points. While I know you blame everyone BUT JG... he's the one constant over UT's 3 consecutive years of anemic scoring. Since JG became the starter, UT has been last, 13th, and 11th in scoring. OL's have changed. RB's have changed. WR's have changed. JG has been a consistent, significant factor that held those O's back.

A "top 5" QB should routinely have games when he led his team to over 30 points against and FBS opponent... especially some of the weaker opponents but against a good opponent here and there too. JG has none.

Thats career numbers. Playing for 3 years. Nevermind the fact Joe Burrow almost doubled his TD numbers in one year of football than in JGs lifetime. Any top tier SEC QB throws for 30 in a season if theyre not running for 10-20 TDs.
This just is not true.

Qb rating literally gives an overall picture of qb performance. He was fourth in the SEC.

QBR is and ESPN fabricated BS stat. Its horrible. Going by QBR JG had a better game against UGA than Maurer. Do you agree with that?

Even if midpoint was right that would make my case and not yours. Mid point is far from the bottom of the barrel. Middle of the SEC would be the 5-9 range.

I don't have to cherry pick. He was solidly in the 4/5-7 range. Arguably 4/5 depending on what you value. Not one metric backs up him being near the bottom of the SEC.
I gave you a variety of rankings. You're cherry picking again. You can arguably say the the world will end tomorrow, doesn't make it true.

All the metrics back up him being near the bottom out of the 12 main starters in the SEC:

Total Yards. 9th
Completion % (the gold standard for JG!) 7th
INT's thrown - 3rd (yeah top 5 right!)
Passing TD's - 6th
Passing attempts - 9th
Completions - 9th
2019 Player Statistics

Literally the only top 5 stats for JG are Average yards per pass and QBR, that fake statistic. Nowhere does come close to being top five or even middle of the pack. He is bottom tier. Not sure why this is so confusing for you....

But according to you that doesn't count when it shows how ineffective he was in the red zone. And... "stats" for a guy that was replaced by a true Fr who wasn't ready to play have to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are a few different methods for calculating a QB rating... but QBR literally stands for QB Rating.

Yes. You cherry pick. It is really all you ever do.

But what's important? Scoring points. JG was outside the top 100 in all of college football for red zone QB rating. He had a 41% completion rate inside the red zone on last season. He was 13th in the SEC in red zone QBR and 18th in RZ completion %.

Of course now you will spin and twist and contort the facts in a vain attempt to blame this on someone else or claim it isn't so bad. It stinks and serves as a direct proof of my contention that he just has not displayed the innate ability to make quick decisions or anticipate plays.

I gave you a variety of rankings. You're cherry picking again. You can arguably say the the world will end tomorrow, doesn't make it true.

All the metrics back up him being near the bottom out of the 12 main starters in the SEC:

Total Yards. 9th
Completion % (the gold standard for JG!) 7th
INT's thrown - 3rd (yeah top 5 right!)
Passing TD's - 6th
Passing attempts - 9th
Completions - 9th
2019 Player Statistics

Literally the only top 5 stats for JG are Average yards per pass and QBR, that fake statistic. Nowhere does come close to being top five or even middle of the pack. He is bottom tier. Not sure why this is so confusing for you....
TOTAL STATS only tell who threw more. Not how effective they are. Duh

So sixth in TDs but only ninth in attempts and completions? That is actually pretty good.

Also % was never the gold standard. Just a stat he did great in. You countered with the ypa. Now he is one of the top qbs in the country ypa and it went down a little.

7th in percentage is middle of the pack. Nowhere near the bottom. So argue that he is mid-tier and not a top SEC qb last year.

So argue he is not good but just a middle of the pack SEC

I don't think he will be top 5 but I look for him to be the starter and have a solid season. Having a second year under Chaney could he him a break out season.

But according to you that doesn't count when it shows how ineffective he was in the red zone. And... "stats" for a guy that was replaced by a true Fr who wasn't ready to play have to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are a few different methods for calculating a QB rating... but QBR literally stands for QB Rating.

Yes. You cherry pick. It is really all you ever do.

But what's important? Scoring points. JG was outside the top 100 in all of college football for red zone QB rating. He had a 41% completion rate inside the red zone on last season. He was 13th in the SEC in red zone QBR and 18th in RZ completion %.

Of course now you will spin and twist and contort the facts in a vain attempt to blame this on someone else or claim it isn't so bad. It stinks and serves as a direct proof of my contention that he just has not displayed the innate ability to make quick decisions or anticipate plays.
You obviously can not comprehend that those are two different stats. I have schooled you several times. I will post a few links to explain it for you. You obviously have reading comprehension problems.

The difference between passer rating and QBR. I feel like I’ve seen these two stats get mixed up more often, so I wanted to clear things up. : nfl
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...PASSING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0
The 5 O'Clock Club: The difference between passer rating and quarterback rating
The difference between Total QBR and Passer rating

Passer Rating is the official NFL measure of quarterback performance (quarterback rating)
QBR is an ESPN frmula made up to measure qb perfromance in 2011 ( total quarterback rating)

"Passer Rating is the official NFL statistic, while QBR was an ESPN invention designed to provide a more comprehensive evaluation of quarterback performance.."

So for the millionth time there is Qb rating (aka passer rating) that is the legit stat used for years and listed on every single stat site. Then there is also QBR (aka total quarterback rating) which is ESPN bullshite that had JG with a better game than Maurer vs UGA.

So the traditional , official quarterback rating fourth in the SEC last year.

Going by the terrible QBR JG was better vs UGA than Maurer. So you think QBR is accurate and JG was better vs UGA than Maurer?

I have already proven those redzone numbers false. Going by ESPN and NCAA he was top five in redzone qb rating last year. He was not out of the top 100 who actually qualified. You linked a site putting guys with ten attempts in the rankings. Its laughable.

TOTAL STATS only tell who threw more. Not how effective they are. Duh

So sixth in TDs but only ninth in attempts and completions? That is actually pretty good.

Also % was never the gold standard. Just a stat he did great in. You countered with the ypa. Now he is one of the top qbs in the country ypa and it went down a little.

7th in percentage is middle of the pack. Nowhere near the bottom. So argue that he is mid-tier and not a top SEC qb last year.

So argue he is not good but just a middle of the pack SEC
LOL. You are proving my point. Thanks.

You obviously can not comprehend that those are two different stats. I have schooled you several times. I will post a few links to explain it for you. You obviously have reading comprehension problems.

The difference between passer rating and QBR. I feel like I’ve seen these two stats get mixed up more often, so I wanted to clear things up. : nfl
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...PASSING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0
The 5 O'Clock Club: The difference between passer rating and quarterback rating
The difference between Total QBR and Passer rating

Passer Rating is the official NFL measure of quarterback performance (quarterback rating)
QBR is an ESPN frmula made up to measure qb perfromance in 2011 ( total quarterback rating)

"Passer Rating is the official NFL statistic, while QBR was an ESPN invention designed to provide a more comprehensive evaluation of quarterback performance.."

So for the millionth time there is Qb rating (aka passer rating) that is the legit stat used for years and listed on every single stat site. Then there is also QBR (aka total quarterback rating) which is ESPN bullshite that had JG with a better game than Maurer vs UGA.

Going by the terrible QBR JG was better vs UGA than Maurer. So you think QBR is accurate and JG was better vs UGA than Maurer?

I have already proven those redzone numbers false. Going by ESPN and NCAA he was top five in redzone qb rating last year. He was not out of the top 100 who actually qualified. You linked a site putting guys with ten attempts in the rankings. Its laughable.
This is an odd hill for you to die on.

Reactions: Smokey X
The NFL uses passer rating because all team are equal professionals...

QBR rate performance heavier against better opponents...so vs UGA. Throwing 1 ints is worse then no ints...so QBR suppports JG having a .1 better rating...

The NFL uses passer rating because all team are equal professionals...

QBR rate performance heavier against better opponents...so vs UGA. Throwing 1 ints is worse then no ints...so QBR suppports JG having a .1 better rating...
They use qb rating because it is a tried and true unbiased stat that actually measures passing performance.

Colleges don't use QBR as an official stat either. Its an ESPN stat solely. It also has several subjective factors in the formula that skew results. It is terrible and not an official stat. Quarterback rating is the official passing stat for college and the NFL for a reason. ESPN just wanted a proprietary stat to talk about.

You haven't "schooled" anyone on anything. And you still persist in moronically ignoring the FACT that "QBR" literally stands for "Quarterback Rating". Nothing else you posted is really relevant since I stated clearly that there were several methods for calculating QBR.
I'm sure it would "matter" and be completely legitimate if it reflected well on your narrative.

You recognize the flaw in the other way because it doesn't suit you... but you ignore the flaw in the "traditional" method because it suits you. As previously noted, you cherry pick. If those were reversed... your position would be the opposite.

[
Neither is infallible. Both, like all statistics, have to be viewed in context and with respect to overall results. JG is not effective in leading the O to points. Nothing Maurer did or in a QBR calculation changes that.

No you haven't. Are you really that delusional? I posted these facts and you became a ghost only to return later as if it never happened. That's been a pretty typical tactic by you when you cannot escape being WRONG.

Notably... now you LIKE ESPN's QBR? By the "traditional" QBR he was exactly what I said.... but that's only the "right" one when it says something YOU like, right?

How can anyone that watched the game agree with that? Seriously.

At this point I am just going to have to believe it when I see it with JG. UT Vs Barn in 2018 is the only time, he took over a game IMO. The Missouri game from last year is debatable. JG threw for a lot of yards, but we only had 24 points to show for it. He is simply average at best until he proves otherwise.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back