2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters

VolforFootball

I like pizza
With the way we're recruiting and the way we finished out the season, I'm starting to believe more and more in the potential of JG's senior season. There's not a lot of proven high-quality talent at the QB position in the SEC this year, and I believe that with another year under Chaney and Weinke, JG could have a breakout senior season akin to Crompton's senior season with Kiffin. What are your thoughts on JG's potential for this season? I think he ends up top-5 in the SEC this year (given, a lot of that is due to a lack of high-end competition such as Burrow and Tua).

With the way we're recruiting and the way we finished out the season, I'm starting to believe more and more in the potential of JG's senior season. There's not a lot of proven high-quality talent at the QB position in the SEC this year, and I believe that with another year under Chaney and Weinke, JG could have a breakout senior season akin to Crompton's senior season with Kiffin. What are your thoughts on JG's potential for this season? I think he ends up top-5 in the SEC this year (given, a lot of that is due to a lack of high-end competition such as Burrow and Tua).
This time last year I believed in him. I think he is a solid backup, but is just too inconsistent week to week, or even between series. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a strong year. Not expecting it though.

Another JG thread?

giphy.gif

JG will have a breakout season in 2021 when he runs out of eligibility here and transfers to Rutgers. Every year someone gets on here saying that this is going to be his breakout season and every year he is the same old bottom 3 - 4 in the SEC qb that he was the year before and two years before. He does have 5 star heart, which is why Botch recruited him.

He could be coached by Chaney for 3 more years and given 3 more years of eligibility and it wouldn't matter.

I'm not sure how many times some of you need to see him fail in order to understand that he is the problem.

He simply doesn't process the information fast enough because his focus is average...
A good QB has good focus and processing ability.

He works hard. He has a good arm. He appears to be bright. He's mentally and physically tough. He's experienced.

But the things that hold him back appear to be innate... not a matter of experience or coaching or development. He just doesn't process information quickly and instinctively. He doesn't anticipate and envision plays. That makes him frequently late. The announcer in the IU game nailed it. JG has to "see" a receiver open before he throws. That's what prevented UT from scoring TD's early and taking control of that game. It shows up even more in compressed spaces like the red zone. The faster decision making has to be... the worse JG does.

One of the best illustrations comes in the USCe game last year. JG threw a deep throw to MC. He was late and short enabling the DB to close and make it a contested catch with no YAC's. The drive stalled for a missed FG. Shrout threw the same play later in the game. He led MC perfectly for a TD.

This is a major reason that JG has never led a UT offense to 30 points against an FBS opponent. Even teams with marginal talent can game plan his weakness.

I thought maybe he had turned a corner with the UK and Mizzou games... but then the old JG showed up for the Vandy and IU games. His effort is not in question. Some guys cannot throw a 15 yard out. Some simply can't learn to put touch on the ball. And some... can't anticipate throws well enough to step up into the top tier of QB's.

I echo with what sjt18 said above. Like the guy but he doesn't produce consistently. No "it" factor.

Reactions: TNfan#2
JG's senior year will be the Vol's best, in his tenure. Mainly due to HB starting, after week three, and JG's butt sitting the bench, if he doesn't severely exceed expectations.

Last edited:

JG will become a top 5 SEC QB this year or he will be replaced by one!

Has all the physical tools to be an All SEC QB. Has had incredible toughness in his time here.

His problem has been between the ears. Stares down receivers, holds the ball too long/late on throws, and cannot consistently make good reads.

My prediction is he will start the season but won't stay there long.

Does anyone here think that Chaney has tried to teach him to throw the ball to where the receiver IS GOING TO BE, and let the receiver go get it, or is that against Chaney and Weinke teaching?

The key here is, as you say - what is the level of competition he faces to make the top 5? This year is a year of transition at the QB spot in the SEC. Just not much proven ability on anyone's team that has any more experience than JG.

tenor.gif

What JG has going for him right now is that there was an abbreviated spring practice. Early enrollees didn’t benefit by missing the senior prom. Let’s hope fall camp isn’t cut short, and I’m beginning to think life will return to normal sooner rather than later.

The good news is that other schools (like UGA) that are breaking in a new QB, will also have an abbreviated timeline to get them up to speed. The bad news is that we play UGA in November this year. That’s how we roll, isn’t it?

Hopefully he is holding a clipboard unless Bailey gets hurt. His ceiling is the floor for most starting SEC passers.

This virus panic BS may be the only reason Bailey doesnt start game 1. Which sucks.

Reactions: CA_Vol
If our running game improves to 170+ yrs/game I think he'll be top 5, if we continue to suck at running the ball, stay below 150 yrd/gm rushing, then all bets are off. I'm hoping for 190+ passing and 180+ rushing per game for us to be successful this year. I think a conservative turnover free type offense combined with a top5 defensive unit will be what we have. Vols are going to be pretty good this year I feel.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back