2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
Hopefully he is holding a clipboard unless Bailey gets hurt. His ceiling is the floor for most starting SEC passers.

This virus panic BS may be the only reason Bailey doesnt start game 1. Which sucks.
I really hope I’m wrong, but living in SC, I heard almost every Gamecock fan begging for Ryan Hilinski last year to replace Jake Bentley from day 1...practically begging...they got it week 2...he went 4-7..

The optimistic side of me wants to say he will be, because so many schools are replacing their starting QB from last season. The realistic side of me wants to say he won't be, based on his body of work up to this point.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and TC 83
I hope he doesn't see the field unless we are blowing away the competition every weekend then I'd sub him in for garbage time.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Kinda depends on what our choices are. Jones, Trask, and Mond all seem most likely to have top-tier seasons. There's about 6 other guys who could make the jump from the next tier, too. JG is one, though others seem more likely.

It's really about probablilities. JG COULD have a breakthrough season, but is probably only middle-of-the pack likely. A good defense and good O-line are certainly going to help.

Group A (no order)
AL - Jones
FL - Trask
A&M - Mond

Group B (no order)
GA - Newman
AU - Nix
SC - Hilinski
OM - Plumlee
Ms St. - Schrader
TN - JG
LSU - Brennan

Group C (no order)
KY - ?
Vandy - Wallace

Reactions: pharmDvol11
He works hard. He has a good arm. He appears to be bright. He's mentally and physically tough. He's experienced.

But the things that hold him back appear to be innate... not a matter of experience or coaching or development. He just doesn't process information quickly and instinctively. He doesn't anticipate and envision plays. That makes him frequently late. The announcer in the IU game nailed it. JG has to "see" a receiver open before he throws. That's what prevented UT from scoring TD's early and taking control of that game. It shows up even more in compressed spaces like the red zone. The faster decision making has to be... the worse JG does.

One of the best illustrations comes in the USCe game last year. JG threw a deep throw to MC. He was late and short enabling the DB to close and make it a contested catch with no YAC's. The drive stalled for a missed FG. Shrout threw the same play later in the game. He led MC perfectly for a TD.

This is a major reason that JG has never led a UT offense to 30 points against an FBS opponent. Even teams with marginal talent can game plan his weakness.

I thought maybe he had turned a corner with the UK and Mizzou games... but then the old JG showed up for the Vandy and IU games. His effort is not in question. Some guys cannot throw a 15 yard out. Some simply can't learn to put touch on the ball. And some... can't anticipate throws well enough to step up into the top tier of QB's.

Your description of JG mirrors my frustration with my Colts and Brissett from last year. Granted, the Colts didn’t anticipate Luck retiring. Sometimes Brissett made a brilliant throw that shows his arm, then next series holding and waiting. Colts brought in Rivers because of it, Vols brought in Bailey. If Tn as a team is good enough, lack of a playmaking qb won’t be needed early. It will later in the season. I don’t see JG or Brissett as more than quality backups because of what you described.

Kinda depends on what our choices are. Jones, Trask, and Mond all seem most likely to have top-tier seasons. There's about 6 other guys who could make the jump from the next tier, too. JG is one, though others seem more likely.

It's really about probablilities. JG COULD have a breakthrough season, but is probably only middle-of-the pack likely. A good defense and good O-line are certainly going to help.

Group A (no order)
AL - Jones
FL - Trask
A&M - Mond

Group B (no order)
GA - Newman
AU - Nix
SC - Hilinski
OM - Plumlee
Ms St. - Schrader
TN - JG
LSU - Brennan

Group C (no order)
KY - ?
Vandy - Wallace
I hear some aren’t sold on Newman. How about Bailey breaking through and taking the job and beating his home state of Ga?
The meltdown of Ga fans would burn down the internet.

JG is an enigma to me. You know, on paper he doesn't look bad at all.

60% comp, 32 TD, 13 INT is better than what we got out of Tee Martin. But there are games or sometimes just stretches of games where he can't throw a ball in the ocean. He has streaks of 0-8 type stats and we can't sustain any type of drive.

I'm not sure what the situation will look like now without Bailey getting a spring camp.

One interesting thing I read was how some reporters said Hill was often the best looking qb in the periods they were allowed to see. I can't imagine he'll make a serious run at the job but what a great story that would be after being highly ranked out of HS and then having the two ACL tears

Losing a couple of his most familiar and best targets could be a huge challenge. Jennings's ability to make a play when it was needed will be missed.

Reactions: TC 83 and 08Vol

Group A (no order)
AL - Jones
FL - Trask
A&M - Mond

Group B (no order)
GA - Newman
AU - Nix
SC - Hilinski
OM - Plumlee
Ms St. - Schrader
TN - JG
LSU - Brennan

Group C (no order)
KY - ?
Vandy - Wallace
He's definitely top5 compared to that list. If our running game improves by 20+ yards/game this year he could play his way to the top of this group. Weak year for QBs in the SEC. Lots of new unknown WRs coming in as well. Whoever can run the ball offensively and stop the run defensively and be dominant at both at times is going to win the SEC this year. Passing teams may pull an upset or two but the SEC is going to be a ground and pound league for a couple of years until these young guns across the conference develop.

JG has two really big negatives. 1) He cannot feel back side pressure....like at all. You either have that or you don't. 2) He thinks too much out there which causes him to lock on to one guy and wait, and wait, and wait to deliver the ball. His best throws come when someone is in his face and he is forced to make a decision. I dare say that a very good offensive line that can keep defenders off of him may actually not help him much, he may just hold the ball even longer then. At the end of the regular season he seemed to not be holding the ball as long, but it showed back up in a big way during the bowl game.

What JG has going for him right now is that there was an abbreviated spring practice. Early enrollees didn’t benefit by missing the senior prom. Let’s hope fall camp isn’t cut short, and I’m beginning to think life will return to normal sooner rather than later.

The good news is that other schools (like UGA) that are breaking in a new QB, will also have an abbreviated timeline to get them up to speed. The bad news is that we play UGA in November this year. That’s how we roll, isn’t it?
But that also means JG gets until November for UGA. Assuming neither team is dealing with major injuries, both should be ready to go by then.

JG is an enigma to me. You know, on paper he doesn't look bad at all.

60% comp, 32 TD, 13 INT is better than what we got out of Tee Martin. But there are games or sometimes just stretches of games where he can't throw a ball in the ocean. He has streaks of 0-8 type stats and we can't sustain any type of drive.

I'm not sure what the situation will look like now without Bailey getting a spring camp.

One interesting thing I read was how some reporters said Hill was often the best looking qb in the periods they were allowed to see. I can't imagine he'll make a serious run at the job but what a great story that would be after being highly ranked out of HS and then having the two ACL tears
Thats career numbers. Playing for 3 years. Nevermind the fact Joe Burrow almost doubled his TD numbers in one year of football than in JGs lifetime. Any top tier SEC QB throws for 30 in a season if theyre not running for 10-20 TDs.

There. Right there. You might be arguing he is top five, the numbers say he was a basement dweller. Numbers don't like, your argument does.
Not one single passing stat of his was in the bottom five of the SEC.

Name it.

I can name a few he was top five in last year. Among returning starters he is top five in ever major category.

Rank last year/ Among returning starters
Qb rating
4/2

YPA
3/1

YPC
3/1

Returning Starter
Td-3
Completion %-5

Thats career numbers. Playing for 3 years. Nevermind the fact Joe Burrow almost doubled his TD numbers in one year of football than in JGs lifetime. Any top tier SEC QB throws for 30 in a season if theyre not running for 10-20 TDs.
Joe Burrow trippled his own numbers in one year. He had the exact same Jr year JG did . Using Burrow isn't a good comp to bash JG with.

Reactions: ptcarter
Joe Burrow trippled his own numbers in one year. He had the exact same Jr year JG did . Using Burrow isn't a good comp to bash JG with.
Joe Burrows Senior season was freakish. Heisman winner, National Championship - also surrounded by superior talent at receivers, running backs and line. A defense that has to defend against the run on every play, will be more vulnerable in the passing game. This helps the QB's stats when it comes to passing.

Point is, as much as I've watched JG struggle - comparing him, or any quarterback to what happened to Joe Burrow last year just isn't right. You might have to go back more than a decade to find a QB that had a season like Burrow did.

Not one single passing stat of his was in the bottom five of the SEC.

Name it.

I can name a few he was top five in last year. Among returning starters he is top five in ever major category.

Rank last year/ Among returning starters
Qb rating
4/2

YPA
3/1

YPC
3/1

Returning Starter
Td-3
Completion %-5
I didn't say he had a stat in the bottom five. Overall he was in the bottom five in the SEC rankings.

Again, you're trying to manipulate random stats to satisfy your agenda which is that JG isn't a terrible QB. We aren't talking about "returning starters". Its overall SEC QB's. He is bottom barrel. Always has been always will be.

Reactions: 08Vol
I didn't say he had a stat in the bottom five. Overall he was in the bottom five in the SEC rankings.

Again, you're trying to manipulate random stats to satisfy your agenda which is that JG isn't a terrible QB. We aren't talking about "returning starters". Its overall SEC QB's. He is bottom barrel. Always has been always will be.
So he isn't at the bottom or near the bottom in even one stat but he is at the bottom overall? What ranking is he at the bottom of if he isn't at the bottom of any rankings? That does not add up.

Arguably top five last year. Definitely top five this year.

Mark this post down. I am going to predict JG actually has a solid season with being under Chaney for 2 years and having a great O-Line. He has a ton of experience and I think he will actually surprise a lot of people this year. I hope I am right because if he is a top 5 SEC QB this year we will win 9-10 games.

VN Store

Back