*****2019 Tennessee bowl projections list

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I thought it might be nice to have an overhead view of all the different projections. I know I've missed some, so post links in the thread and I'll update this post. It could be interesting to see who gets it right when all is said and done.

AthlonSports: Tennessee vs Michigan -- Gator Bowl

ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Tennessee vs Penn St -- Outback Bowl

ESPN (Kyle Bonagura): Tennessee vs Minnesota -- Outback Bowl

247Sports: Tennessee vs Indiana -- Gator Bowl

CBS Sports (Jerry Palm): Tennessee vs Louisville -- Music City Bowl

Sporting News: Tennessee vs Iowa State -- Liberty Bowl

Stadium (Brett McMurphy): Tennessee vs Wisconsin -- Gator Bowl

CollegeFootballNews: Tennessee vs Iowa State -- Liberty Bowl

Last edited:
We really need UGA to win a close game on Saturday so the SEC gets 2 in the playoff and slides everybody up one bowl slot.

Reactions: VolzMan53
We really need UGA to win a close game on Saturday so the SEC gets 2 in the playoff and slides everybody up one bowl slot.

I think the SEC gets four in the NY6 either way, unless Virginia steals a slot.

Here's one that hasn't been bandied about too much.

ESPN is struggling to keep viewers. They have a lot of sway in these discussions. If there are 4 SEC teams that make playoffs/NY6, I think Outback Bowl is likely. If less than 4 make it, I think ESPN goes for the biggest brand names (and the SEC caves in) and sends us to the Texas Bowl to play Texas.

You're right. If we want the best bowl possible, that's what needs to happen. I'd really hate to see UGA in the playoff though. lol.

Won't happen. Lsu is the better, more complete, more Together team. The major advantage though is at QB; by a mile. Lsu by 14.

LSU-CP/Peach, GA-Sugar, Bama-Cotton, FL-Orange makes sense.
Aub-Citrus, right?
Between the Outback and Gator, aTm played in the Gator last year, SEC wouldn't likely repeat that, so...
aTm-Outback
UT-Gator

If Bama doesn't make the NY6 and falls to the Citrus, Aub either gets the Cotton or falls to the Outback - which probably puts aTm in the Texas Bowl vs Texas (again, aTm is not going back to the Gator).

Gator seems like a lock unless our administration prefers Nashville and the proximity (and slightly higher payout - pfft). Hopefully warm weather Jax and the prime time slot wins out, right?

Reactions: NATHAN05

If LSU loses to UGA and OU or Utah wins their championship game, couldn't one of those teams slide up into the playoff spot?

Believe me . . . I don't want UGA to win it either. Just saying that it's what makes the most logical sense as far as us getting the largest payout we can.
I’d rather us go to the music city bowl than see Georgia go to playoffs.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I thought it might be nice to have an overhead view of all the different projections. I know I've missed some, so post links in the thread and I'll update this post. It could be interesting to see who gets it right when all is said and done.

AthlonSports: Tennessee vs Michigan -- Gator Bowl

ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Tennessee vs Penn St -- Outback Bowl

ESPN (Kyle Bonagura): Tennessee vs Minnesota -- Outback Bowl

247Sports: Tennessee vs Indiana -- Gator Bowl

CBS Sports (Jerry Palm): Tennessee vs Louisville -- Music City Bowl

Sporting News: Tennessee vs Iowa State -- Liberty Bowl

Stadium (Brett McMurphy): Tennessee vs Wisconsin -- Gator Bowl

CollegeFootballNews: Tennessee vs Iowa State -- Liberty Bowl

I called myself looking at every scenario yesterday and I cannot conceive of a scenario that involves the Liberty Bowl. I get the outside shot at the Texas Bowl as the wild-card and the Texas matchup is intriguing from a number of angles, but the Liberty?? They'll be luck if they get MSU.

If the committee follows the AP/Coaches at all and LSU/UGA/UF/Bama are all inside the top 10, none of them get past the playoff and NY6. That only leaves AU ahead of us for the Citrus.

Reactions: UTChicagoV
If LSU loses to UGA and OU or Utah wins their championship game, couldn't one of those teams slide up into the playoff spot?
They could, but it’d be a tough sell with LSU’s only loss being to a playoff team.

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back